The Who, Who's Next.

Draco

I know someone will tell me I am crazy for this, but part of my problem with Who's Next is that, while the production and sound was a step up over everything they had done prior to it, that also took away their raw energy and power. Moon's drums in particular do not sound as hard and pounding as normal, instead almost sounding a bit too soft at times, even on the big songs. Yes, there are a bunch of absolute classic songs on this record, but the loss of raw energy from a band standpoint on this record really stands out. Call it the difference in songwriting if you will, but the production had a lot to do with it as well.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 22 2012, 01:06 AM)
But I know I'm in the minority for this one... and wait for it.... I HAD to live in the 70s to appreciate it. eyesre4.gif

No you don't: in the 70s I was listening to cartoons openings, but the themes in Who's Next are universal.

To think that it's the debris of a major trainwreck, the Lifehouse project, and that in a period of just 7-8 months Pete wrote ALONE all of it, plus half of Who Are You and the slew of singles like Join Together, Relay, Let's See Action, Water... He was somewhere else in those years.

It's a very good album but my ranking for The Who is:

Quadrophenia

Tommy

Who's Next

QUOTE (Draco @ May 20 2012, 09:33 PM)
I'm listening to this, and there are just no duds on this album at all.  Every single song is strong.  I really can't think of a more complete album.  Can anyone else?

There are TONS of perfect albums.

There's even a thread about HERE!

That said, Who's Next IS on my list. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (The K Man @ May 21 2012, 11:19 PM)
I know someone will tell me I am crazy for this, but part of my problem with Who's Next is that, while the production and sound was a step up over everything they had done prior to it, that also took away their raw energy and power. Moon's drums in particular do not sound as hard and pounding as normal, instead almost sounding a bit too soft at times, even on the big songs. Yes, there are a bunch of absolute classic songs on this record, but the loss of raw energy from a band standpoint on this record really stands out. Call it the difference in songwriting if you will, but the production had a lot to do with it as well.

yes.gif There is always talk about how hard-rocking The Who are, but on Who's Next, you frankly can't hear it. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 22 2012, 06:16 PM)
QUOTE (The K Man @ May 21 2012, 11:19 PM)
I know someone will tell me I am crazy for this, but part of my problem with Who's Next is that, while the production and sound was a step up over everything they had done prior to it, that also took away their raw energy and power.  Moon's drums in particular do not sound as hard and pounding as normal, instead almost sounding a bit too soft at times, even on the big songs.  Yes, there are a bunch of absolute classic songs on this record, but the loss of raw energy from a band standpoint on this record really stands out.  Call it the difference in songwriting if you will, but the production had a lot to do with it as well.

yes.gif There is always talk about how hard-rocking The Who are, but on Who's Next, you frankly can't hear it. confused13.gif

It's true that Quad sounds a lot harder and clearer. The thing is, The Who sound different on every album they made. I too feel that Who's Next is a little muffled in places. But still, the songs...

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ May 21 2012, 01:26 PM)
QUOTE (TullSkull @ May 21 2012, 10:04 PM)
QUOTE (H. P. L. @ May 21 2012, 05:53 AM)
QUOTE (TullSkull @ May 21 2012, 02:39 PM)
old.gif I may be old but I got to see all the really cool bands...

Aye! I envy you. The best I've gotten, and I'm not young, is Genesis with the Siltskin singer, Tull with Crest of a Knave, Yes with a voiceless Jon Anderson...

Still, I can't complain. smile.gif

I missed Crest of a Knave sad.gif

Bet that was a hell of a show. trink39.gif

Yeah, it was great! They were on fire on that tour. Way better than the following tours for Rock Island and Catfish Drowning sorry, Rising (hate that album!) wub.gif

I got to the Rock Island tour and had not seen them in some time so it rocked for me, was really a good show, loved the opening.. I like Catfish and the tour way Ok.. Some good Tull friends call it Catfish Floating. I like the blues funk about. Now Dot Coma is another thing... trink38.gif

QUOTE (TullSkull @ May 22 2012, 07:52 PM)

Aye! I envy you. The best I've gotten, and I'm not young, is Genesis with the Siltskin singer, Tull with Crest of a Knave, Yes with a voiceless Jon Anderson...

Yeah, it was great! They were on fire on that tour. Way better than the following tours for Rock Island and Catfish Drowning sorry, Rising (hate that album!) wub.gif

I got to the Rock Island tour and had not seen them in some time so it rocked for me, was really a good show, loved the opening.. I like Catfish and the tour way Ok.. Some good Tull friends call it Catfish Floating. I like the blues funk about. Now Dot Coma is another thing... trink38.gif

Actually I like the Dot Com album better than the Catfish one...

Treeduck late 80s-late 90s period Tull album (current) rating:

1 Roots to Branches (1995)

2 Rock Island (1989)

3 Crest of a Knave (1987)

4 J-Tull Dot Com (1999)

5 Catfish Rising (1991)

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 23 2012, 10:55 AM)

2 Rock Island (1989)

4 J-Tull Dot Com (1999)

5 Catfish Rising (1991)

I am to Catfish Rising what Goober is to VT. I've tried many times and no way I can find anything good on that album. I know a lot of people appreciate it, but there's so much good music out there I won't be bothered to listen to CR again ever in my life.

Dot Com isn't that bad, in my book. That was the first tour when I noticed that Ian's voice was struggling. Live, it's been downhill ever since.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ May 23 2012, 04:23 AM)

2 Rock Island (1989)

4 J-Tull Dot Com (1999)

5 Catfish Rising (1991)

I am to Catfish Rising what Goober is to VT. I've tried many times and no way I can find anything good on that album. I know a lot of people appreciate it, but there's so much good music out there I won't be bothered to listen to CR again ever in my life.

Dot Com isn't that bad, in my book. That was the first tour when I noticed that Ian's voice was struggling. Live, it's been downhill ever since.

What do you think of Roots to Branches? I have that on now...

trink36.gif

This is the album where it really all came together for The Who. During the extensive touring for Tommy the band had developed into such a powerful and confident rock & roll engine which they carried that momentum right into the studio for Who's Next. Townshend's genius was in full bloom, Daltrey's voice had become more distinctive and emotive, and Entwistle and Moon finally got the recording quality they deserved.

What more needs to be said? Pure and easy, from start to finish this album is amazing. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it in any way. It's as good as it gets and everything I love about rock music - a five star album if ever there was one.

That said, there's many albums that equal it, just from 1971 alone: Aqualung, Zep's 4th, The Yes Album, Love It To Death...

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ May 24 2012, 01:27 PM)
This is the album where it really all came together for The Who. During the extensive touring for Tommy the band had developed into such a powerful and confident rock & roll engine which they carried that momentum right into the studio for Who's Next. Townshend's genius was in full bloom, Daltrey's voice had become more distinctive and emotive, and Entwistle and Moon finally got the recording quality they deserved.

What more needs to be said? Pure and easy, from start to finish this album is amazing. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it in any way. It's as good as it gets and everything I love about rock music - a five star album if ever there was one.

That said, there's many albums that equal it, just from 1971 alone: Aqualung, Zep's 4th, The Yes Album, Love It To Death...

Oh well now that Silas has finally commented I think we can agree that the thread has now been legitimised...

cool.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 23 2012, 09:09 PM)

2 Rock Island (1989)

4 J-Tull Dot Com (1999)

5 Catfish Rising (1991)

trink36.gif

I should get back to RTB (oooohhh, same initials!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif ), I can't recall anything except the title song, which is nice. I remember the video, which was kinda dreadful I gotta say.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ May 24 2012, 02:23 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 23 2012, 09:09 PM)

2 Rock Island (1989)

4 J-Tull Dot Com (1999)

5 Catfish Rising (1991)

trink36.gif

I should get back to RTB (oooohhh, same initials!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif ), I can't recall anything except the title song, which is nice. I remember the video, which was kinda dreadful I gotta say.

The album is pretty good, a little eastern sounding, very proggy, good guitar work on it.

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 24 2012, 01:35 PM)

Oh well now that Silas has finally commented I think we can agree that the thread has now been legitimised...

cool.gif

The later, the greater cool.gif

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ May 24 2012, 09:50 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 24 2012, 01:35 PM)

cool.gif

The later, the greater cool.gif

Aye...

cool.gif

I rank it as the greatest rock album ever. Top to bottom amazing music, incredible lyrics, iconic cover. But most of all the best songs on the record are the lesser known ones. Absolute, unbridled, briliance.

Probably in the top 5, for all LPS of the 70's.