Rush Album Listening Contest!

Animate

Roll the Bones 10

An enjoyable album, but listening to this kind of stuff has really made me appreciate how good of an album Clockwork Angels really is. There is a real sameiness between the last 3 albums, especially Presto and RTB, that just isn't present on CA. I feel like a lot of the songs from Roll the Bones could've been on Presto and they wouldn't have sounded out of place. I can honestly say that CA doesn't sound like any other Rush album.

Up next, an album that I feel is a spiritual cousin to the new work, Counterparts!

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

National Sound - Mid-Hudson Civic Center - Poughkeepsie, New York - 26 January 1980 (SBD)

This is a partial show, but the sound is very nice...

Jacob's Ladder 7:37

Working Man 3:34

Finding my Way 0:23

Anthem 1:39

Bastille Day 1:28

In the Mood 2:45

Dr. Draino (Drum Solo) 4:43

Working Man (Reprise) 0:48

La Villa Strangiato 9:44

We'll Meet Again (Vera Lynn) 1:34

Timeless Wavelength Platinum Edition - Tarrant County Convention Center - Fort Worth, Texas - 02 February 1980

Sound on this is ok, but it is a complete show from the Permanent Waves Tour and well worth a listen.

DISC 1

2112 15:07

Freewill 5:56

By-Tor and the Snow Dog 5:17

Xanadu 12:55

The Spirit of Radio 5:19

Natural Science 8:40

A Passage to Bangkok 3:58

The Trees 5:04

DISC 2

Cygnus X-1 8:18

Hemispheres 14:17

Closer to the Heart 3:16

Beneath, Between and Behind (cut) 2:43

Jacob's Ladder 7:29

Working Man 3:28

Finding My Way 0:22

Bastille Day 1:27

In The Mood 2:39

Drum Solo 6:19

La Villa Strangiato 9:47

Today's...

Anaheim 81 - Convention Center - Anaheim, California - 16 June 1981

DISC 1

2112:Overture 4:21

2112: Temples of Syrinx 2:14

Freewill 6:07

Limelight 5:01

Hemispheres: Prelude

Beneath, Between, Behind 2:57

The Camera Eye 11:42

YYZ 2:50

Drum Solo 5:49

Broon's Bane 1:42

The Trees 4:27

Xanadu 12:38

DISC 2

The Spirit of Radio 5:50

Red Barchetta 6:50

Closer to the Heart 3:55

Tom Sawyer 4:57

Vital Signs 5:17

Natural Science 8:16

Working Man 1:16

Hemispheres: Armageddon

By-Tor and the Snow Dog 4:01

In the End 1:41

In the Mood 1:32

2112: Grand Finale 2:17

La Villa Strangiato 9:34

http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/datab...?RecordingID=70

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Jun 9 2012, 04:57 PM)
National Sound - Mid-Hudson Civic Center - Poughkeepsie, New York - 26 January 1980 (SBD)

This is a partial show, but the sound is very nice...

Jacob's Ladder 7:37
Working Man 3:34
Finding my Way 0:23
Bastille Day 1:28
In the Mood 2:45
Dr. Draino (Drum Solo) 4:43
Working Man (Reprise) 0:48
La Villa Strangiato 9:44
We'll Meet Again (Vera Lynn) 1:34

Timeless Wavelength Platinum Edition - Tarrant County Convention Center - Fort Worth, Texas - 02 February 1980

Sound on this is ok, but it is a complete show from the Permanent Waves Tour and well worth a listen.

DISC 1
2112 15:07
Freewill 5:56
By-Tor and the Snow Dog 5:17
Xanadu 12:55
The Spirit of Radio 5:19
Natural Science 8:40
A Passage to Bangkok 3:58
The Trees 5:04

DISC 2
Cygnus X-1 8:18
Hemispheres 14:17
Closer to the Heart 3:16
Beneath, Between and Behind (cut) 2:43
Jacob's Ladder 7:29
Working Man 3:28
Finding My Way 0:22
Bastille Day 1:27
In The Mood 2:39
Drum Solo 6:19
La Villa Strangiato 9:47

What does the (SBD) stand for after some of these?

QUOTE (Queslington @ Jun 9 2012, 12:51 PM)
I would be participating in this contest, but all along my plan has been to take 14 hours out of my day Monday and listen to the entire discography straight through. It will be the best day ever.
AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif
2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

trink39.gif

Totally not too late! Just update your listening log tomorrow evening and you are totally in!

QUOTE (Animate @ Jun 10 2012, 10:13 PM)
What does the (SBD) stand for after some of these?

Many apologies...

SBD stans for for Soundboard recording, meaning it was taken directly from the mixing board at the show.

If it does not have that next to the title, then it means that the show was an audience recording, meaning someone who attended the show recorded it.

In most cases, both audience and soundboard recordings have been cleaned up as best they can for the best sound possible.

There are some fantastic audience recordings out there, but 9 times out of 10, the soundboard recordings are far superior.

...have a great day!

~RGLT

PS...my live show marathon continues and I shall continue to post here.

PSS...thanks again for throwing down this challenge, as I've previously posted, this has been great fun.

PSSS...one day until it is officially Clockwork Angels Day!

Today's listens...

Clockwork Angels

and

Canada '81 20th Anniversary Edition - The Forum - Montreal, Quebec - Canada - 24 March 1981 (SBD)

This is one is a soundboard and it is a gem...as good as "Exit...StageLeft" in my opinion.

Here are the details...

http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/datab...ecordingID=1376

Freewill 5:39

Limelight 4:22

YYZ 2:21

Drum Solo 3:21

YYZ - Reprise 2:05

Broon's Bane 1:37

The Trees 4:34

Xanadu 12:15

The Spirit Of Radio 5:04

Red Barchetta 6:37

Closer To The Heart 3:29

Tom Sawyer 4:44

Vital Signs 5:00

By-Tor And The Snow Dog 4:05

In The End 1:42

In The Mood 1:34

2112: Grand Finale 2:09

La Villa Strangiato 9:17

http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/thumbnails/tn_Canada-81-20th-Anniversary-Edition.jpg

And so...

Counterparts 10

Test For Echo 10 (Dog Years was hard not to skip)

Vapor Trails 10

Snakes and Arrows 10

I didn't listen to Feedback, because I don't own it and I don't think it really counts.

Also, after Snakes was done I just couldn't help myself so I listened to Clockwork Angels all the way through without any pausing, which I had not done yet.

This was an interesting experience listening to everything in order like this. You can really hear how the band evolved.

QUOTE (Animate @ Jun 10 2012, 10:18 PM)

2.gif Alexmei
Completed his listening run, listening to all 18 original studio albums with out a break in any of them! Now moving on to KISS discography! Let us know how Kiss is comparing to Rush!

Also the Kiss Headphones Tour finished... re-discovering hidden gems as Unmasked and Dressed to kill... the first being better than I can remember, the second being #3 best Kiss Album in my new chart...

Now starting the QUEEN one laugh.gif

Hold Your Fire

Interesting opening, there's a lot going on there, what with echo-y drum stuff and all. We then break into the song proper, with Geddy's strong yet not overpowering vocal. Guitar and synths equally prominent, neither outdoing the other. The mainstay of this song is the bass though. Incredible riff that takes over the role of lead guitar in this song. I of course expect no less from the greatest bass player ever, Mr Geddy Lee. No other band I listen to has the bass that prominent, that's why I love Rush! The incredible, brilliant, awesome Time Stand Still is up next. Insane drum licks from Neil at the start, pacey playing! The harmony lines from Aimee Mann are perfect, and compliment Geddy's own vocal so well. All 3 are on top form on their respective instruments, which I suppose is needless to say, but say it I shall nonetheless. Another bass-heavy intro to Open Secrets. I'm assuming Alex was taking a nap, and Geddy didn't want to wake him to record an intro, so he did it on his bass. Either way, not fussed on this song in all honesty. Guitar is used sparingly, and I'm a guitar sort of guy, so it doesn't sit well with me. When it is used, ie in the solo, it is magnificent though, so that redeems the song a bit. A bit of rarely use piano in Second Nature, nicely done too. Soft vocal from Geddy, and some hihat tinkle from Neil to add a bit to the sound. We then get a bit louder as Alex joins the party, and the tempo increases. Before you can say "this is a nice tempo" though, we're back slower again, and so the story continues throughout the track. Nice song, well written. Prime Mover is next, and Geddy once again shows he is a prime mover on the bass. Heavier guitar in this one as well, which will always go down well in my book. Nice drum work from Neil, and an overall pretty good song. Lock and Key starts with some strings type noise. More piano, again effective. Love this song, 'nuff said. Mission. Geddy reminds us what the album's called with the opening lyric. After that, it just keeps getting better. A belter of a song, great live recently, and more insanely excellent bass work from Ged, the man is a machine! The intro of Turn The Page pulls me in straight away, and it's justified as well, another neat song. More upbeat than it's predecessor, the chorus is catchy from the first listen. Maybe the best song on the album. Ah. Tai Shan. Erm, the less said about this the better I think. Geddy himself recently said it was his and Alex's least favourite Rush song, and a mistake. That pretty much sums it up in my opinion. There's 4 and a bit minutes of my life I'll never get back. High Water drags us back to reality after that weird-fest of a song. Great way to end the album, a solid contribution from all corners of the Rush triangle. Overall a good album, let down badly by Tai Shan.

Ratings

Rush 7/10

FBN 8/10

CoS 4.5/10

2112 10/10

AFTK 8.5/10

Hemispheres 9.5/10

Permanent Waves 8/10

Moving Pictures 11/10

Signals 10/10

Grace Under Pressure 9/10

Power Windows 8/10

Hold Your Fire 8.25/10

Will update this evening!

Award certificate, with individual logs, to be posted tomorrow evening!!!!

I have been busy listening to "The Garden" wub.gif 5,000,000,000,000 times..... can't stop listening!!!!!!! 2.gif wub.gif 1022.gif trink38.gif 653.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

QUOTE (Alexmai @ Jun 12 2012, 02:00 AM)
QUOTE (Animate @ Jun 10 2012, 10:18 PM)

2.gif  Alexmei
Completed his listening run, listening to all 18 original studio albums with out a break in any of them! Now moving on to KISS discography! Let us know how Kiss is comparing to Rush!

Also the Kiss Headphones Tour finished... re-discovering hidden gems as Unmasked and Dressed to kill... the first being better than I can remember, the second being #3 best Kiss Album in my new chart...

Now starting the QUEEN one laugh.gif

goodpost.gif

I just recently did a KISS marathon...the first album through the solo records, plus "Sonic Boom".

I'm going to do a Queen marathon next, now that I have all of the 2011 Deluxe versions.

Good stuff...

Today's spins...

Clockwork Angels!!!!

and...

Countdown to London - Wembley Arena - London, England - 21 May 1983

http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/datab...ecordingID=1090

DISC 1

3 Stooges Intro 0:38

The Spirit of Radio 4:39

Tom Sawyer 5:06

Freewill 5:21

Digital Man 6:35

Subdivisions 5:20

Vital Signs 5:12

The Camera Eye 6:56

Closer to the Heart 3:11

The Analog Kid 4:47

Broon's Bane 1:32

The Trees 4:23

Red Barchetta 6:22

DISC 2

The Weapon 7:56

New World Man 3:59

Limelight 4:26

Countdown 5:50

2112: The Temples of Syrinx 6:20

Xanadu 2:26

La Villa Strangiato 3:30

In the Mood 3:01

Dancing Music 0:27

YYZ / Drum Solo (cut) 9:54

http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/thumbnails/tn_Countdown-To-London.jpg

After listening to the official copy of CA last night, my wife got in the mood for the Time Machine CD. So we listened to it. Then we realized, with the exception of SnA Live, we made it through the entire marathon, just slightly out of order there at the end.

2.gif

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Jun 12 2012, 01:57 PM)

I just recently did a KISS marathon...the first album through the solo records, plus "Sonic Boom".

I'm going to do a Queen marathon next, now that I have all of the 2011 Deluxe versions.

Good stuff...

I'm up to Hot space... Freddie is missing. Every day. What a singer.

Been off the board for a week, and did get CA last Saturday, so have been mostly listening to that, but I did get a little further in the challenge - up through Show Don't Tell on Presto now. Will keep going in order mixed in with listens to CA! I did listen to a mix of Rush on Rush Radio while waiting for the listening party to start Tuesday night.

I discovered these forums only a day or two ago. Coincidentally, I too prepared for the release of CA by listening to Rush's entire catalogue from start to finish! I had a long commute, so I would bring along a couple of CDs in the car every day. Even more coincidentally, I imposed similar rules upon myself: I had to listen to the albums in order, once each, no repeats.

You can imagine I was quite surprised to find this thread!

What I took away from the experience:

1) I love the debut album more than ever before.

2) I forgot how good ATWAS is; I really need to bust that one out more often.

3) I came to appreciate some of Presto a bit, and I no longer declare it "unlistenable." Much of side 1 is at least tolerable now.

4) I still harbor a strong distaste for RTB and S&A. No progress made there.

I will likely do it all over again once I can tear myself away from Clockwork Angels!