Rush Album Listening Contest!

Animate

Saturday...

Saturday is "Rush in Rio" Day!!!

Listened to "Rush in Rio" in it's entirety and watched the "Rush in Rio" concert on DVD as well.

I remember the segment from "Beyond the Lighted Stage" that addressed how the show was so important to the comback of Neil and to Rush.

I posted this previously, but I am absolutely blown away by the crowd and the enthusiasm they have for Rush.

The show (CD & DVD) is especially tight.

http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/500/60610618.jpg

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, we had a short (power) window of opportunity last night to watch a handful of videos, picking up in the chronology with Distant Early Warning, following with:

Afterimage

The Enemy Within

Red Sector A (live, 1984)

The Big Money

Mystic Rhythms

Time Stand Still

Lock and Key

...And that's it for now...

QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ May 26 2012, 01:30 PM)
Day 2 - Fly By Night

Anthem - Thrown in at the deep end here, electric start to the song and the album. Softens down a bit when the vocals enter, Geddy giving us a scream or two to keep us going. Big transition IMO between melody of the verse and the melody everywhere else. Bit of shredding from Lerxst over some interesting bass work from Ged. Neil introduces himself nicely on this song as well.

Best I Can - Catchier than Anthem, this one is more of a foot-tapper. Neil is showing us what was missing on the debut. Nothing against John Rutsey's playing, but Neil is a different class I believe. I like this one, not much more to say.

Beneath, Between & Behind - Another catchy number, I like how the title consists of the first word in the first three lines of the chorus. A good song, but not as good as Best I Can.

By-Tor and the Snowdog - Now we're talking! Widely regarded as the first time Rush showed us what was to come, this is a brilliant song. Great riff, strange lyrics, and top quality musicianship from the three of them all the way through. The instrumental break in the middle.... something else, this is the Rush we all know and love. The stop-start thing they got going on - another stroke of genius, preceded by some serious fills from Neil. We think the song had ended, but no, we are only half way! Bit of mysterious guitar stuff from Lifeson, then a super-duper drum roll from Neil takes us into a proper Lerxst solo. Well thought out, and brilliantly executed. We then return to another verse a la the start of the song, more singing about a dog by Geddy, before some chimes end the song.

Fly By Night - Nice bass work on the intro to this. Uplifting song, catchy chorus. Great song. And yes, it's "my ship is a coming" laugh.gif

Making Memories - Bit of fast-paced acoustic voodoo to start this song, before some groovy vocal from the Ged. Bass work is, again, nice on this track. Solo from Alex plays over the acoustic, which stays all song. Nice. Geddy reminds us he's still there during the solo by chipping in with some "Oh yeah!"s etc.

Rivendell - A slow one. Acoustic guitar, vocal and some higher pitched electric guitar create the sombre ambiance for this one. I know I said I wasn't fussed on the slower ones on Rush, but this one's a corker. Great vocal from Geddy, no room for error here, there not enough instrument to drown it out. I'm happy to report he nails it. Good on ya Ged! In fact, he may over pronounce some things, but I'll let that go this time. Soft high-pitched stuff, not something you hear from Geddy often. Exectued beautifully here though.

In The End - An appropriate name for the final song on the album, we are again introduced to it by some acoustic guitar, though this time it is louder, as is Ged's vocal. All that nonsense stops after almost 2 minutes, and we get a hard rockin' riff from the axe of Mr. Lifeson. The vocal is also stepped up nicely, and all of a sudden, you can tap your foot to this song. I must admit though, not my favourite song. I can't really put my finger on why, but I just get the urge to skip it.

Overall, a better album than Rush. Catchier songs, and less that bore me.

Ratings:
Rush 7/10
Fly By Night 8/10

These reviews take a lot of time, time which I haven't really got, so from now on I'll give an overall view of the albums, then rate them out of 10 as I have been doing.

Does not have to be all out, track by track review, impressions and random associations are just fine!!!

Although your points on each song are quite interesting!

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ May 27 2012, 08:35 AM)
Okay, we had a short (power) window of opportunity last night to watch a handful of videos, picking up in the chronology with Distant Early Warning, following with:
Afterimage
The Enemy Within
Red Sector A (live, 1984)
The Big Money
Mystic Rhythms
Time Stand Still
Lock and Key

...And that's it for now...

That is great adding the "Live versions, singles" category!

It would be interesting to put out the complete, full length Rush marathon set list, with all recordings- studio album, official live album, bootleg album, bootleg single recordings, and all known single or partial videos of live performances, in chronological order. Does such a list exist?

It would be interesting to put out the complete, full length Rush marathon set list, with all recordings- studio album, official live album, bootleg album, bootleg single recordings, and all known single or partial videos of live performances, in chronological order. Does such a list exist?

It will once you make it! laugh.gif

We were going to watch all of the DVDs as well (GuP live; Rush in Rio, etc) but it was just too daunting in the time we have.

Also, and I think I've failed to mention this before - we are attempting to get through our marathon here before next weekend, one reason being next weekend will mark two weeks until the album comes out, and we are planning to go on a Rush "fast" until CA hits.

And also we won't have time because we are celebrating our wedding anniversary (yes, this was meant to garner cheap congrats from our Rush brethren!)

So we hope to get through the remaining single videos, as well as the remaining albums... the live albums will be most daunting, as we are about to get into the multi-disc live albums.

2.gif

Sunday, start to finish...

"Feedback"

I, for one, like this album.

I love to see and hear what influenced Rush and what they like enough to actually cover it.

I think it is a great selection of songs.

Not my favourite Rush record, but yet one that gets a fair share of spins.

Not much to report here, but I did finish up FBN on Friday with In The End. The slower, acoustic-y beginning of this song reminds me quite a bit of the format of Before and After from the debut. Love Geddy's intense vocals here, and the various guitar sounds.

I've listened to other Rush songs here and there, but I look forward to getting into COS the next time I have a long listen.

Edited by 1 of the 7

Day 1 (May 25) - 2.gif

Finding My Way - Just an awesome opener...it has always been one of my favourites. The middle bridge section has always been a favourite of mine...love the riff.

Need Some Love - A fun rocker...nothing mind-blowing, but simply a fun track. Enjoyable song with a catchy chorus.

Take A Friend - The intro is pretty cool...though I always found the faid-in pretty trippy. It's a good song, but probably near the bottom if I was ranking the Debut.

Here Again - Another amazing track...one of the other album's highlights. I love the bluesy-feel of this one. It's probably one of the most overlooked songs in their catelog...really, really great.

What You're Doing - Hard-rocker...it's solid. Love the pacing of the track, and it's very catchy. Found myself singing it the rest of the day on Friday.

In The Mood - Another fun rocker...some cheesy lyrics by Rush's standards (not just here...but throughout the album), but simply another fun, rocking track. Always enjoy it.

Before and After - It has always been . Probably still my least favourite song on this album, but it's still a good song. I definitely found myself digging it alot more this time around!

Working Man - What more can be said? A classic. The lyrics are simple, but Alex truly shines on this one...I can never get enough of the solo in this song. My favourite on the album.

Overall, the album was very enjoyable. I used to easily rank it as my least favourite album, but over the years, I've really found myself growing more fond of it. Lots of great tunes, and overall, the album is simply FUN. Nothing wrong with it...it's a true rock album.

Day 2 (May 26) - FLY BY NIGHT

Anthem - A rippin' opener...I love this song. Hard rocking riff, fantastic drumming, and I really love the lyrics. The concept of selfishness is fantastic. Great debut for Neil. By the end, I realized that it's probably my favourite song on FBN, even over By-Tor, which surprised me a bit.

Best I Can - A really fun rocker...I have always loved this song. I love Ged's delivery...and his lyrics work here. An awesome rocker that would've worked just as well on the Debut.

Beneath, Between, & Behind - A solid little tune...often overlooked, but I really think the chorus especially is fantastic.

By-Tor & The Snowdog - A clear-cut classic. Obviously a highlight, if not THE highlight from FBN. It was the first of what would be many long songs, which would become a staple of classic Rush. The 'battle' section is awesome...has all 3 killing their instruments.

Fly By Night - The title track is of course, a fun little tune. I really love the intro to this song...one of their best IMO. It's not my favourite on the album, but it's still a solid tune!

Making Memories - An upbeat rocker that I found quite enjoyable. It's a really cool little tune, and it's fun to contrast the lyrics to where they were at that point (just starting out their careers in their early 20's), to the guys that they've become now (almost 40 years later). A cool little tune.

Rivendell - Well, definitely a change of pace with this track. I think it still fits fine on this album, but it would still be easily my bottom pick from FBN. It's still a fine song, but I don't find it calling out to me all that much.

In The End - This one surprised me alot. It had never been one that I listened to alot, but I found myself really enjoying this one! Love the intro guitar, and Geddy's vocals shine here. Just a great tune, and a fantastic closer to Neil's debut with Rush.

Overall, another really enjoyable album. I wouldn't rank it up there for me personally, but it's another great rocker. It's a fantastic debut for Neil, and he immediately makes an impact on this album with both his drumming and his lyrics.

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ May 27 2012, 11:54 AM)

It will once you make it! laugh.gif

Don't tempt me! It would not be that hard actually, to set it up in Excel so it can be sorted by official release date, taping date etc, location etc.

The early stuff could include fan-sourced releases although now there are so many videos for every concert it would be to much.

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ May 27 2012, 11:54 AM)

Also, and I think I've failed to mention this before - we are attempting to get through our marathon here before next weekend, one reason being next weekend will mark two weeks until the album comes out, and we are planning to go on a Rush "fast" until CA hits.

And also we won't have time because we are celebrating our wedding anniversary (yes, this was meant to garner cheap congrats from our Rush brethren!)

2.gif

common001.gif cheer.gif 2.gif rose.gif CONGRATS! rose.gif 2.gifcheer.gif common001.gif

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ May 27 2012, 07:43 PM)
Sunday, start to finish...

"Feedback"

I, for one, like this album.

I love to see and hear what influenced Rush and what they like enough to actually cover it.

I think it is a great selection of songs.

Not my favourite Rush record, but yet one that gets a fair share of spins.

Yay for Feedback! I was so stoked to hear some of my favorite songs of all times (Mr Soul, For What Its Worth) done by Rush. It is actually a really good album.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 27 2012, 11:50 PM)
Day 2 (May 26) - FLY BY NIGHT

Anthem - A rippin' opener...I love this song. Hard rocking riff, fantastic drumming, and I really love the lyrics. The concept of selfishness is fantastic. Great debut for Neil. By the end, I realized that it's probably my favourite song on FBN, even over By-Tor, which surprised me a bit.

Best I Can - A really fun rocker...I have always loved this song. I love Ged's delivery...and his lyrics work here. An awesome rocker that would've worked just as well on the Debut.

Beneath, Between, & Behind - A solid little tune...often overlooked, but I really think the chorus especially is fantastic.

By-Tor & The Snowdog - A clear-cut classic. Obviously a highlight, if not THE highlight from FBN. It was the first of what would be many long songs, which would become a staple of classic Rush. The 'battle' section is awesome...has all 3 killing their instruments.

Fly By Night - The title track is of course, a fun little tune. I really love the intro to this song...one of their best IMO. It's not my favourite on the album, but it's still a solid tune!

Making Memories - An upbeat rocker that I found quite enjoyable. It's a really cool little tune, and it's fun to contrast the lyrics to where they were at that point (just starting out their careers in their early 20's), to the guys that they've become now (almost 40 years later). A cool little tune.

Rivendell - Well, definitely a change of pace with this track. I think it still fits fine on this album, but it would still be easily my bottom pick from FBN. It's still a fine song, but I don't find it calling out to me all that much.

In The End - This one surprised me alot. It had never been one that I listened to alot, but I found myself really enjoying this one! Love the intro guitar, and Geddy's vocals shine here. Just a great tune, and a fantastic closer to Neil's debut with Rush.

Overall, another really enjoyable album. I wouldn't rank it up there for me personally, but it's another great rocker. It's a fantastic debut for Neil, and he immediately makes an impact on this album with both his drumming and his lyrics.

I am stoked to read that both "Before and After", and "In the End" have been upped in your opinion after this! They are both fun songs

QUOTE (Alexmai @ May 23 2012, 04:15 AM)
I'm betting my life. I remember Roll the bones as the first new CD I bought... my favourite song in 1991 was Ghost of a chance, while today has been overtaken by Bravado, one of my top10 Rush songs ever in its live version. I love Dreamline and appreciate You bet your life and the title track. The others are in my blacklist ;-)

Rush 10
FBN 10
COS 10
2112 10
AFTK 10
Hemi 10
PeW 10
MP 10
Signals 10
GUP 10
PoW 10
HYF 10
Presto 10
RTB 10

Alex!!! Whats up?!? Have you had a chance to give Counterparts a spin yet?

Day 3 - Caress of Steel

OK. Not the best Rush album. It's fighting for the bottom spot in my opinion, but, in the name of the listen-a-thon, I will listen and give my thoughts! It starts off well. Bastille Day is a good song, nice riff etc. I Think I'm Going Bald? I think they're going insane! What happened there? Strange one. Lakeside Park is OK, nothing to shout about, but a nice song nonetheless. Now we get to the hard part. 2 songs, over half an hour in length combined. Hmmm. These two let the album down. I can't really put my finger on why, but The Necromancer and The Fountain of Lamneth just scream out for me to put 2112 on, and listen to a proper epic. TFoL was, admittedly, Rush's first attempt at a colossally long song, and, like a lot of first attempts, it needed improving. Which, I'm very glad to say, they did on 2112!

Overall Ratings:

Rush 7/10

Fly By Night 8/10

Caress of Steel 4.5/10

Edited by Unobtrusive Companion

Day 4 - 2112

Well, where to start? One of the two (along with MP) "seminal" Rush albums. Not a clunker in sight, and one hell of a title track. Some space sounds introduce us to 20 minutes of sheer class. It's got it all, just a brilliant song. Then comes A Passage To Bangkok. Great riff, strange story. It's about a train in Thailand. Right. Still, cracking little song, and a nice follow-up for the monster that is 2112. Lots of whispering in The Twilight Zone, which is effective, if a little creepy! We are declining in quality as we progress through the album at the moment, but 2112 is a lot to live up to! Lessons! I like this one, up-beat and catchy. Tears is one of those potential-banana-skin slower ones. Thankfully, this is genius. Rush were on fire on this album, there's no doubt. Something For Nothing is one of the great Rush album closers in my opinion, up there with Working Man. Brilliant song. I cannot fault this album.

Ratings

Rush 7/10

Fly By Night 8/10

Caress of Steel 4.5/10

2112 10/10

Today is R30 Day!!!

Listened to R30 and watched the companion DVD, both start to finish.

Today brought back fond memories of seeing Rush at Radio City Music Hall in New York City on the R30 tour.

An unbelievable night, filled with great music.

If you are interested, look for the boot, "Crossing the Stage", a live recording from that night...simply amazing!!!

http://991.com/NewGallery/Rush-R30-521340.jpg

Day 3 (May 27) - CARESS OF STEEL

Bastille Day - Continuing the string of great openers comes this beauty! Fantastic way to open the album...love the opening riff, and the lyrics are cool. Just an all-around solid tune!

I Think I'm Going Bald - Ha, a song that many love to bash. I've always enjoyed this song. Yes, it can be slightly corny, but like most material from their Debut, it rocks! I love the riff...and my only complaint about it might be that it does seem out of place on this album. Great song!

Lakeside Park - A nice little tune...I know many love it. It's a nice upbeat song, and I do enjoy the lyrics. The 'memories last forever' lyric is really great. Enjoyable.

The Necromancer - My favourite on this album. 'Under The Shadow' has to absolutely be one of Alex's greatest moments. It sucks we never see this live...Al is ripping it up. Love the song, and I'll never understand the hate for the narration. I find it fits the epic just nicely, and again, it brings you into the story.

The Fountain of Lamneth - Epic. This one is a real journey overall. Lots of nice separate moments, but I find they blend together nicely in the end. 'No One at The Bridge' is absolutely one of the best things they've ever done IMO. The whole song is just fantastic. The story sucks you in...and I love the atmosphere of the whole song...matches the album vibe.

Overall, this album is all over the place. It has some different sides to it...it's awkward at spots. 'I Think I'm Going Bald' really doesn't seem like it fits, but I do enjoy it. The two epics, to me, are the best part of this album. They fit nicely together, and it was an obvious setup for what was to come, which of course would be ground-breaking for the band. The album does carry a dark vibe overall, but it's absolutely enjoyable! It rocks!

Edited by EmotionDetector

Back from a looong weekend in the sun of Abruzzo, here I am smile.gif

My counterpart, my foolish heart... some good, very good song, as Animate, CTTC, LTTA, Double agent, Cold fire, probably Everyday glory. Then Stick it out: I'm tired of it, but it's not weak. The remaining song, are weak. Too bad, it could be a great album (using the best songs from RTB for a single album, 4 years after Presto)!

Rush 10

FBN 10

COS 10

2112 10

AFTK 10

Hemi 10

PeW 10

MP 10

Signals 10

GUP 10

PoW 10

HYF 10

Presto 10

RTB 10

CTP 10

Edited by Alexmai

Echo-echo-echo... The title track is always good, Driven is a masterpiece, Totem is my favourite. Then, I revaluate Virtuality and still love Time and motion... no particular love for the rest of the album :-(

About the 10s... I never go to drink or pee, but I'm not counting the work phonecalls et similar... I might?

Rush 10

FBN 10

COS 10

2112 10

AFTK 10

Hemi 10

PeW 10

MP 10

Signals 10

GUP 10

PoW 10

HYF 10