Rush Album Listening Contest!

Animate

I totally get the struggle between Signals and GUP. I flip flop between the two.

I listened to Signals through HYF.

Signals has some monster songs. The one song I really like that I am surprised is down on most peoples list is "New World Man". This song right now holds a lot of personal meaning as it describes my husband really well.

GUP: an all time favorite album. Someone in an earlier post wrote that it is brittle sounding. It is challenging in places to listen to. A personal favorite that seems to be down on a lot of lists is "The Body Electric". I think if the introduction were different, it would be a top 20 list-er. The ending is so bombastic and strong.

Waaaa.... I listened to PowW, Presto, RtB, all in a row in one setting and then .....realization.... What about HYF???.

So, back to PowW to start over.

Power Windows. The one song on here that I absolutely love that is down on most peoples list is "Manhattan Project". My favorite synth opening of all- so smooth. Geddy's voice is clean and crisp. I love the lyrics, focused on the excitement of being part of such an important project while in a subtle way discussing the ramifications. This is an example of a synth-based song that almost would have drawn me to Rush.

Hold Your Fire

WARNING: Begin Rant

Hold Your Fire is the worst offender in the category of "Rush albums that can be played as background music". In other words, when they are on I am not compelled to listen to them. Even though these albums are beautiful lyrically and musically, and include Geddy's most agreeable vocals, HYF completely lacks the feisty adrenaline and punch of earlier albums.

Also, as a classic rock guitar fan, pushing guitars to a minor role is frustrating. It is rather condescending to point out that Alex does a good job with the space he is given. How would you feel if Neil were given only 1 minutes to play on a 5 minute song? Sure, he would do a great job but it would not be enough.

HYF is very hard for me to focus on. I think I paused it between every song. It touches the same part of my psyche that rebels at being forced to listen to most pop. Pop-ish, accessible, palatable = easy to listen to and ignore.

End Rant

I do really like "Time Stands Still" and "Mission" and "Turn the Page" though smile.gif

Whew. that was hard.

Thank goodness we are on to smile.gif Presto smile.gif

Edited by Animate

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really cool seeing everyone go back and re-examine songs and albums that we are all so familiar with, or maybe haven't heard in awhile!

Hold Your Fire is the worst offender in the category of "Rush albums that can be played as background music". In other words, when they are on I am not compelled to listen to them. Even though these albums are beautiful lyrically and musically, and include Geddy's most agreeable vocals, HYF completely lacks the feisty adrenaline and punch of earlier albums.

yes.gif

Though I think the Big Al apologies are more like Big Al sympathies?

We were able to squeeze in Presto last night after all! And as most fans are prone to point out, my wife and I both felt ... if only this album had more oomph! Boy ... some good tunes here. Such an underrated album! Rupert Hine should've never been allowed near this band. Yea, he got Ged to focus more on melody and singability. But this is one wimpy album.

I became a fan shortly after this album came out. I had this album and Chronicles. And when you listen to them you start to lose hope that this band would ever ROCK OUT again. It was disheartening. How much thinner can Al's guitar tone get?

BUT -- having said that -- as I mentioned -- good good songs. Maybe in hindsight I have grown a little and become more accepting?

My wife, on the other hand, loved this album the moment she heard it. She adores The Pass, Scars, Show Don't Tell, and Presto. We both find ourselves in the minority because we also really dig Superconductor. Fun song! Hand over Fist and Available Light are deep cut faves as well.

The only songs that disagreed with us on a substantial level were Red Tide and Anagram, which is just a dumb song! Sorry!

That is all, for now!

2.gif

Edited by wilb1972

Power windows are closing. Marathon, Territories and Middletown dreams are the headlights in my opinion... I remember it was a better album. I don't know why, this time has been not so convincing...

Rush 10

FBN 10

COS 10

2112 10

AFTK 10

Hemi 10

PeW 10

MP 10

Signals 10

GUP 10

PoW 10

Count me in!

I've been listening to HYF and Vapor Trails almost exclusively lately so it's gonna be hard to go from Mission and How it Is to Take a Friend and Need Some Love. (062802puke_prv.gif)

That said, here we go!

Edited by Dscrapre

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ May 22 2012, 08:50 AM)
Count me in!

I've been listening to HYF and Vapor Trails almost exclusively lately so it's gonna be hard to go from Mission and How it Is to Take a Friend and Need Some Love. (062802puke_prv.gif)

That said, here we go!

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ May 22 2012, 07:23 AM)
This is really cool seeing everyone go back and re-examine songs and albums that we are all so familiar with, or maybe haven't heard in awhile!

My wife, on the other hand, loved this album the moment she heard it. She adores The Pass, Scars, Show Don't Tell, and Presto. We both find ourselves in the minority because we also really dig Superconductor. Fun song! Hand over Fist and Available Light are deep cut faves as well.

The only songs that disagreed with us on a substantial level were Red Tide and Anagram, which is just a dumb song! Sorry!

That is all, for now!

2.gif

I think I really like your wife! Presto is also one of my all time favorite albums, even though it is lacking in hard guitar sound. Even Anagram, although I don't know what the heck Neil is talking about laugh.gif

I'm holding the last flames... strangely enough, one of my less favourite Rush albums this time has been less bad than usual wink.gif Force ten, Second nature and Prime mover are the best episodes in my opinion, maybe with Mission. Great instrumental work in the background, everywhere...

Rush 10

FBN 10

COS 10

2112 10

AFTK 10

Hemi 10

PeW 10

MP 10

Signals 10

GUP 10

PoW 10

HYF 10

T-minus 3 days until I start my listen-a-thon, and man am I looking forward to it! As I've only been a Rush fan for a few months, I've done the whole listen-to-the-entire-back-catalogue thing recently, but I didn't do it in order (started with 2112 and MP, then went back to Rush).

Roll on Friday! 1022.gif 1022.gif

I think I really like your wife! Presto is also one of my all time favorite albums, even though it is lacking in hard guitar sound.

Thanks, I will pass that along! smile.gif Actually, she is a member here but seeing as she is such a new sort of fan, she is hesitant to post much, although she has a few posts under her belt, her screen name is Kena2112. I need to get her to come hang out here more!

And I can't tell you how awesome it is to have a wife who is so open to so many different types of music. Music is my life and she shares that passion! hug2.gif But enough mushy stuff -- tomorrow night, its back to the marathon, and we will be listening to Roll the Bones. We won't have the opportunity tonight.

2.gif

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

Sometimes I think posting impressions of albums is tougher than listening to them. tongue.gif

Yesterday

-Counterparts

Neil's lyrics are growing a bit more disjointed and psychological. I mean he often uses a series of phrases rather than complete thoughts. At least it seems that way. The sound of the music definitely has more 'pop' to it. Those initial drum hits on Animate get your attention right away.

-Test for Echo

It was honestly still difficult to get through. A couple of good tracks...but "Dog Years" Do I really need to say anything else. I had to quit after finishing the album.

Today

-Different Stages

Ged is still singing old school at this point. He struggles with it at times. The album was a pleasure to listen to. Loved the version of Resist. The guitar is so 'sweet' sounding, warm and pleasing.

Hammersmith Set was great but didn't stand out to me. But, then, I may have zoned out a bit.

-Vapor Trails

I started it and thought, "This isn't as bad as TFE" About 1/3 way through I started wishing I was listening to something else. Fortunately, there were other tracks I liked interspersed through the rest of it.

That's it so far.

Edited by ioc

Alright! Let's get this bad boy rolling.

First up: dah da-da dum! Rush. I'm going to type my impressions as I listen straight through so they're as accurate as possible.

Two words: Led. Zeppelin. Geddy even has Robert Plant's "wooooOOOOAHHHH YEAH!!" wail down to a T. It's clear Alex is a fan of Jimmy Page.

"Finding My Way" and "Need Some Love" are enjoyable, straight-ahead rock tunes. There are some really interesting jam sections in "Finding My Way". The raw power of Geddy's voice is impressive. The band sounds young and energized.

"Take A Friend" is pretty cheesy. Still, the sheer youthful bubbly-ness of it all is kind of charming. This is the point when I start thinking, "thank God they found a lyricist". John Rutsey provides a nice, solid Bonham-style beat.

"Here Again" is long and boring. This kind of slow, bluesy jam is clearly not Rush's (especially Geddy's) forte. Leave this kind of stuff to Zeppelin, Clapton, and the other blues-rock masters.

"What You're Doing" packs a powerful guitar riff that reminds me immediately of Zep's "Heartbreaker". Rush is playing to their strengths again. Solid, rockin' tune. The echo effect on Geddy's voice is a bit much.

OMG cowbell! "In The Mood" is Rush's first (and, thankfully, last) tune to feature cowbell so prominently. This tune wades into cheesy waters once again, though it's better than "Take A Friend". It's got a pretty fun guitar riff, and I find myself air-drumming along, cowbell and all.

Oh God, another long, slow, drawn-out ballad? I'm tempted to skip "Before And After" but my willpower and taste for glory pull me through. And then all of a sudden BAM!!! The band launches into a totally different tune! I've been tricked.... this isn't a ballad at all, but yet another Zep-style rocker. The intro is tedious, but the song that emerges is fun and lively. Geddy's scream at the end is priceless.

"Working Man" is Rush beginning to find their own voice. The intro guitar riff is some heavy shit. Geddy's shows some serious vocal talent right off the bat. We get another solid, powerful Bonham beat from John Rutsey, which suits the song to a T. It's easy to hear why this song was an instant hit and remains a Rush classic to this day. The tempo change two minutes in is pretty clever. Alex really lets loose on the solo! The main jam-section riff is rock-n-roll gold. The transition back into the main melody is well-timed and perfectly executed. This track is the clear and obvious highlight of the album and leaves me wanting more.

I haven't listened to this album all the way through in ages and I'm glad I did. "Working Man" is an excellent song. The whole album is fun and energetic. The main problem here is that it all sounds too darned much like Led Zeppelin. However, they are good at what they do and the level of talent here on their first album is impressive. Who could have imagined what would come next....

I'm enlighted by the available light. Oh, Presto... the first Rush album I had when it has been released... Christmas present, as a matter of fact. Relistening, I thought about PeW (the different feeling to the different songs), PoW (percussions) and CA (the rumours about The Garden). My favourites are Chain lightning (Neil and Selena... it was touching also before 1997), The pass (great lyrics), Presto, Anagram and Available light. That's my wife favourite Rush record ;-)

Rush 10

FBN 10

COS 10

2112 10

AFTK 10

Hemi 10

PeW 10

MP 10

Signals 10

GUP 10

PoW 10

HYF 10

Presto 10

I'm betting my life. I remember Roll the bones as the first new CD I bought... my favourite song in 1991 was Ghost of a chance, while today has been overtaken by Bravado, one of my top10 Rush songs ever in its live version. I love Dreamline and appreciate You bet your life and the title track. The others are in my blacklist ;-)

Rush 10

FBN 10

COS 10

2112 10

AFTK 10

Hemi 10

PeW 10

MP 10

Signals 10

GUP 10

PoW 10

HYF 10

Presto 10

RTB 10

Finished up Working Man from Rush and got up through Beneath, Between, and Behind on Fly By Night. Neil's more complex drumming is noticeable right away, though a lot of the sound of the debut remains. The relationship songs are gone, though, and while Best I Can still talks about the rock world, Anthem introduces a wider theme of independence, and Beneath, Between, and Behind is a great commentary on the United States and its people that's even more accurate today than it was then. I think its meaning was lost on me at first, and it's why this song has grown on me a lot - the "that is SO true" factor. The fact that we can't easily admit that there's anything wrong with us (or right with anyone else) is a very BIG thing that's wrong with us. This will be revisited in songs like Territories later on, but I better stop visiting it now before I get too political firedevil.gif

QUOTE (BigBob @ May 23 2012, 09:02 PM)
Rules are too damn complicated!

Eh, either way I'm just too lazy to keep score.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 22 2012, 08:53 PM)
Oh God, another long, slow, drawn-out ballad? I'm tempted to skip "Before And After" but my willpower and taste for glory pull me through. And then all of a sudden BAM!!! The band launches into a totally different tune! I've been tricked.... this isn't a ballad at all, but yet another Zep-style rocker. The intro is tedious, but the song that emerges is fun and lively. Geddy's scream at the end is priceless.

I love it! Yeah, this is yet another song that would probably have a lot more mass-appeal if a producer had taken some trimming shears to it. But, screw mass-appeal! I would hate to loose any of it!

QUOTE (BigBob @ May 23 2012, 09:02 PM)
Rules are too damn complicated!

Only rules: Every studio album, Every song, In order.

Post progress + updates, I will tally points when you are done. (plus bonus points for live albums, bootlegs, concert DVDs, etc)