Book and Record

GeddPratLerxst

After hearing HF and getting so excited about the concept (which I'm sure the fuzzy narration has something to do with), it seems odd to me that they decided to release the book so much later than the record. I feel like they should be releasing it in a pack along with the CD/vinyl so that we can have the true experience. But the release date for the book on Amazon isn't official so I guess its too early to say this, but if it does turn out this way... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 19 2012, 09:09 AM)
perhaps it has not been finished?

Yes, I think Peart and Anderson are still writing it together. Perhaps that's part of the reason for a fall tour: finish book, properly prepare for the tour and get family time in before the tour. And the book's release will tie in good with the tour start, since the album will have been out 3 months by then.

QUOTE (GangsterOnBoats @ Apr 19 2012, 06:57 AM)
Oh, I completely agree with you on that, I would totally read the novelization while listening to the album, as it might flesh the story out farther than the album goes

You're not going to finish reading the novel in an hour, though. And you can't pay proper attention to both at the same time. At best, you can have the music on in the background as you read, and really, who's going to want their first listen to be in the background as they try to concentrate on something they're reading for the first time?

Neil is a co-author on the novel, and the recording had to finish before he could say "okay, this is the whole story, nothing about it will change". He and KJA laid out the broad strokes, certainly, but fleshing it out, finishing the writing, getting it edited, rewriting, more edits, another round of rewrites, final approval, printing, distribution, marketing... novels don't go from idea to store shelf as quickly as you might be thinking. I'm surprised we're getting it as early as September, I would have pegged January.

Alas, I do not think I'll be reading the novel. sad.gif

I was so disgusted by Anderson's destruction of the final Dune novels (with the help of Brian Herbert) that I swore I would NEVER read anything else by Anderson. Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune were the absolute WORST pieces of prose fiction that I have ever read. It was as if they wrote it for retarded 12 year-olds..... rage.gif rage.gif

I think it's a good thing. I want to get the album, listen to it, think about it and form ideas/mental pictures in my head before comparing Anderson's with mine. If I read the book before or too soon after hearing the album for the first time, I'm concerned that Anderson's ideas could over-write my own, and if I don't care for Anderson's, that could be an issue.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 19 2012, 09:53 AM)
Alas, I do not think I'll be reading the novel. sad.gif

I was so disgusted by Anderson's destruction of the final Dune novels (with the help of Brian Herbert) that I swore I would NEVER read anything else by Anderson. Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune were the absolute WORST pieces of prose fiction that I have ever read. It was as if they wrote it for retarded 12 year-olds..... rage.gif rage.gif

yes.gif