30 second clip

Phantom

I watched Beyond the Lighted stage last night, and one of my favorite things about the film is listening to the countless musicians sharing their stories about how much they were impacted by Rush's music.

When both Tim Commerford and Mike Portnoy spoke of the points at which they became less interested in Rush, the points at which Rush got away from the guts of what they were, I remember feeling the exact same way at that time.

Listening to the new clip over and over, I am moved by it in the same way I was first moved by Rush almost 35 years ago and I believe that if each of the musicians interviewed in the film were asked today about how the clip, they'd be as fired up about Rush's sound as ever.

Though it's a short clip, in my opinion, this is Rush at it's finest.

QUOTE (Phantom @ Apr 15 2012, 09:48 AM)
I watched Beyond the Lighted stage last night, and one of my favorite things about the film is listening to the countless musicians sharing their stories about how much they were impacted by Rush's music.

When both Tim Commerford and Mike Portnoy spoke of the points at which they became less interested in Rush, the points at which Rush got away from the guts of what they were, I remember feeling the exact same way at that time.

Listening to the new clip over and over, I am moved by it in the same way I was first moved by Rush almost 35 years ago and I believe that if each of the musicians interviewed in the film were asked today about how the clip, they'd be as fired up about Rush's sound as ever.

Though it's a short clip, in my opinion, this is Rush at it's finest.

goodpost.gif

Hearing the 30 second clip got me so fired up. This album is going to be a barn burner. They have keys back in the fold as we have heard from the people at the listening party, they recorded a string section for at least one tune....maybe more.

Being a musician who was inspired to pursue the art of playing, performing and recoding rock music by these guys I can remember to this day the flame they sparked with the first bars of Red Barchetta. Funny though, it grew stronger with each and every record. I never lost touch with this band. Established in 1981 and still going strong today.

We are getting a bonifide concept record front to back. Last time we got this was side one of Hemispheres.

Strap in Rushtourians as this tour is a going to be an epic display of the new material. I hope they play this record all the way through.

I can't wait.

I love the interviews with musicians in the documentary as well - however, I was really dissapointed with their comments regarding Rush's progression in the 80's.

I know they were just being honest, which I respect, but I think it's a shame that they veiwed a change in direction as a bad thing for the band. Trent Reznor is the only one that gave them props for expanding their horizens. Interesting that he is a pretty versatile musician himself who has never been afraid to take risks.

And while I am excited about the clip and release of Headlong Flight and the new album - it does not invoke any feelings in me that I had when I first heard them. That is and will always be a once in a lifetime experience tucked away nicely in my memory.

It sounds like new Rush to me - which is totally fine. I don't need it to sound like anything else.

I'm sure the "heavyness" would be welcomed by the musicians mentioned from the doc - but that's just not important to me. It's about the songwriting.

Just my 2 cents smile.gif

QUOTE (Todem @ Apr 16 2012, 08:33 PM)
Strap in Rushtourians as this tour is a going to be an epic display of the new material. I hope they play this record all the way through.

Nice. I hope they do too !!

I am also pretty stoked to hear that strings have been recorded and synths are being used. I loved S&A - but it would have been a stronger album if they stripped away some of the layers and used some synths to create more atmosphere in some of those tracks.

People just HATE Good News First - but I think it's one of the best songs on Snakes and Arrows for that very reason.

QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 17 2012, 02:11 AM)
I love the interviews with musicians in the documentary as well - however, I was really dissapointed with their comments regarding Rush's progression in the 80's.

I know they were just being honest, which I respect, but I think it's a shame that they veiwed a change in direction as a bad thing for the band. Trent Reznor is the only one that gave them props for expanding their horizens. Interesting that he is a pretty versatile musician himself who has never been afraid to take risks.

And while I am excited about the clip and release of Headlong Flight and the new album - it does not invoke any feelings in me that I had when I first heard them. That is and will always be a once in a lifetime experience tucked away nicely in my memory.

It sounds like new Rush to me - which is totally fine. I don't need it to sound like anything else.

I'm sure the "heavyness" would be welcomed by the musicians mentioned from the doc - but that's just not important to me. It's about the songwriting.

Just my 2 cents smile.gif

Music always has been, and always will be, subjective. I've always respected that. The unity and kinship of people who collectively love a bands music is a very cool thing.

The post Signals era with the keys just didn't do it for me. I still bought the albums, and listened to them consitently, but that material didn't reach my heart and soul in the same way that their earlier material did.

A good buddy of mine is a massive fan, and I've often told him that while I anticipate each album and tour with tremendous excitement, I temper it with the acceptance that nothing they could ever write would reach me in the same way that their earlier material has. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I don't know whether to describe this as a new sound or an old sound. But I do know that I haven't been this fired up about Rush material in 30 years. To me, the clip is perfection.

The clip does harness some classic Rush progression. No doubt. I wonder if this album will be a throwback record...not in sound but of the phrasing and arrangements of their more classic material of the late 70's and early 80's.

Either way I have never been a Rush fan that has been pining for the older days. I have always loved the fact that their soundscape just kept going forward. They have a huge canvas of colors to choose from depending on my mood.

I loved Snakes and Arrows. I am getting a really good vibe that this album will be their best in a very long time. I thought the same of Snakes and Arrows. To me it was their strongest effort since Hold Your Fire. This has a shot to exceed Snakes and overtake it as their best in decades.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Tai Shan @ Apr 17 2012, 09:27 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Apr 16 2012, 11:50 PM)
QUOTE (Tai Shan @ Apr 16 2012, 08:47 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdyEzdjqVys

So far it's a blast to play.....

6/8 2/8 6/8 2/8.....rinse, wash, and repeat!

So 4/4? tongue.gif wink.gif

The math is right but the feel isn't...

ONE two three FOUR five six SEVEN EIGHT

Is pretty common. But it really doesn't matter if it's 4/4 or 6/8 + 2/8.. it's all fractions so it can be counted however you want.

I prefer 7/8 + 2/32 + 1/16