Retrospective 3

Gedneil Alpeart

Been going back to Retro 3 the last few days...

Four songs have seriously hit the mark and re captured my heart, more so than before, after a long gap.

Bravado.....man what a beauty. I just love this track for so many reasons....the mood, the melody, the clean sound, the lyrics, the passion, the intensity.........one of my all time fav Rush songs...Alex's solo is poignant!

Presto title song....another beauty from that time. Beautiful song writing with very deep lyrics and a lot of somber moments....but with great direction and attitude too. The ending with Alex's solo is very emotional.

Ghost of a Chance Live - Another RTB gem...esp. Alex's guitar solo and the ambient, quiet interludes. Fantastic melody and concentrated song writing.

Animate - High octane rocker! Love the groove and flow of this modern Rush classic. Ged's bass smokes it up with free flowing, soaring finish with strings to boot.

Dig the other songs too, but for those 4 above.......muah.....thank you, Rush!

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Apr 12 2012, 12:27 PM)
Been going back to Retro 3 the last few days...

Four songs have seriously hit the mark and re captured my heart, more so than before, after a long gap.

Bravado.....man what a beauty. I just love this track for so many reasons....the mood, the melody, the clean sound, the lyrics, the passion, the intensity.........one of my all time fav Rush songs...Alex's solo is poignant!

Presto title song....another beauty from that time. Beautiful song writing with very deep lyrics and a lot of somber moments....but with great direction and attitude too. The ending with Alex's solo is very emotional.

Ghost of a Chance Live - Another RTB gem...esp. Alex's guitar solo and the ambient, quiet interludes. Fantastic melody and concentrated song writing.

Animate - High octane rocker! Love the groove and flow of this modern Rush classic. Ged's bass smokes it up with free flowing, soaring finish with strings to boot.

Dig the other songs too, but for those 4 above.......muah.....thank you, Rush!

Agreed on all 4 songs...though RS3 didn't necessarily help me.

Bravado - I always liked it...but the first time I heard it on Different Stages with that extended outro, I loved it even more. It's great on RTB, but it's better in the live setting IMO.

Presto - another song that hooked me more when I heard it live on the TM tour. It's probably due to the thin production on Presto, but I loved hearing it live...it had more "beef" to it.

Ghost of a Chance - loved it from day one. It's long been a Top 2-3 song for me on RTB...love it alot, and love the guitar solo. Was really happy to see it live on the S&A second leg.

Animate - another one that I loved from day one. It has always been one of my favourites. The bridge is one of the best things they've done, and it is easily one of their best tracks from the 90's.

Oh, and for the record...the thing that I loved about RS3 was easily the VT remixes.

Most specifically...One Little Victory. This Retrospective made me love this song like I never have before. To me, the remix brought out the energy of the song, and moreso, I LOVE hearing things I couldn't hear under the 'mess' of the original album. Ged's bass is finally there, and the remix is off the charts IMO.

Earthshine was a bit too low for my taste, but I still really like it. I've loved the song from day one, and it was great to hear the mix for this one as well.

The whole album being remixed someday will really be great! 1022.gif

OLV sounded much better

Earthshine was a big letdown

I only bought it for the hand signed litho biggrin.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 12 2012, 01:51 PM)
OLV sounded much better
Earthshine was a big letdown
I only bought it for the  hand signed litho  biggrin.gif

Metaldad,

I purchased the Retrospective with the lithograph, which has been stored ever since.

You say it hand signed?

Edited by ReGorLaTroy

I've never even taken it out of the poster size card board cover it came in.

Hmm, I think I need to take a look.

It was the cover of the Restrospective III ordered through Rush.com/Atlantic, correct?

You've got me curious mate.

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Apr 12 2012, 02:41 PM)
I've never even taken it out of the poster size card board cover it came in.

Hmm, I think I need to take a look.

It was the cover of the Restrospective III ordered through Rush.com/Atlantic, correct?

You've got me curious mate.

Yes it was. The delivery was pushed back because the band had to finish signing them

Yeah, I remember that happening.

All of my stuff is in storage as my wife and I are moving this summer.

Looks like a trip to the storage facility is in order.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks!

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Apr 12 2012, 02:45 PM)
Yeah, I remember that happening.

All of my stuff is in storage as my wife and I are moving this summer.

Looks like a trip to the storage facility is in order.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks!

It will be like x-mas all over agian trink39.gif

I liked Retro3 for two reasons: the VT remixes and the bonus DVD of their Atlantic videos. That's it, I already had all the other songs, but I have really dug the videos, even if they can be cheesy, but just seeing the band with the songs, it's cool.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Apr 14 2012, 09:56 PM)
there are a couple songs that should've been included on Retro 3. Where's My Thing, Test For Echo and Show Don't Tell should have also made the final cut. 'Workin' them...' should have been left off. That song is lame.

goodpost.gif

They could have left off Nobody's Hero as well.. confused13.gif