2:00 minute Edit of Headlong Flight

losingit2k

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Snaked @ Apr 5 2012, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (librarian @ Apr 5 2012, 02:34 PM)
And now it's time for intermission: enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HTVMh7fur4&feature=related

bekloppt.gif

It's a put on!

No, but this is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHENEFnSb5s

tempted.gif <- he won this round firedevil.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Apr 5 2012, 01:37 PM)
I thought it was pretty good!  I can see where it would upset those who are frothing at the mouth in anticipation of hearing the new song.  Still, I liked what you did.  I'm in the middle of making a slide show video to that really long Rush Medley I made a few years ago, and all I could think of when I clicked the link was... f**k!  I've been trumped!  laugh.gif

From the 'mod hat' perspective, nothing is worse for a forum than a page full of bogus threads.  Dents the credibility.  You understand.

trink39.gif

Yes, have to agree there. We're going to have a lot of new members joining up here, and we'd like to make this a cool place for them to get info and talk about the new music. Having to navigate around a whole bunch of fake GOTCHA! threads kind of takes away from that, I think.

The April Fool's threads get old when it's not April 1st and we're being Rickroll'd for the tenth time. Though in this case I'll give losingit2k props for creating that cool clip.

QUOTE (Pags @ Apr 5 2012, 12:37 PM)
I thought it was pretty good! I can see where it would upset those who are frothing at the mouth in anticipation of hearing the new song. Still, I liked what you did. I'm in the middle of making a slide show video to that really long Rush Medley I made a few years ago, and all I could think of when I clicked the link was... f**k! I've been trumped! laugh.gif

From the 'mod hat' perspective, nothing is worse for a forum than a page full of bogus threads. Dents the credibility. You understand.

trink39.gif

P.S. - I thought the youtube comments were hilarious. My favorite was... "Go take a headlong flight off a short pier."

yeah that one had me cracking up as well! Hey I look forward to your Rush Medley. We could use it about now, to ease the tention Roadrunner has thrust upon us!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 5 2012, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 5 2012, 03:29 PM)
It took me about 45 minutes to create that. Do you know the opening sound is The Wave at the end of Nat Science throught a lot of effects?

confused13.gif

Dude...you wasted 45 minutes on a joke...just to trick us? confused13.gif

I wasn't trying to trick anyone, just amuse and maybe have some fun!

I think the response is much more agrivating than the actual clip, which is kinda cool I think. Placing all those tweeted descriptions of Headlong Flight into one song!.....Come on? Really?

Now we have this new take stating it's like:

Goober look away!

Caress of Steel crossed with Vapor Trails

That could be the worse possible analogy!

Vapor Trials? Really?

banghead.gif

Great now I have to add Vapor Trails and COS to the mix!

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 5 2012, 03:53 PM)
It took me about 45 minutes to create that. Do you know the opening sound is The Wave at the end of Nat Science throught a lot of effects?

confused13.gif

I think the response is much more agrivating than the actual clip, which is kinda cool I think. Placing all those tweeted descriptions of Headlong Flight into one song!.....Come on? Really?

Goober look away!

Vapor Trials? Really?

banghead.gif

z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif

Mine was more a joke than anything. I wasn't fooled by it...so it didn't bother me as much as it did others.

With that said, from what I gather...when they mentioned VT, I think they were referring simply to the "heaviness" of it.

"The opening chords are like a heavier version of Bastille Day"

As long as the production is not like VT, and as long as this album actually has GUITAR SOLOS...then I'm happy. 1022.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 5 2012, 02:57 PM)

confused13.gif

Goober look away!

Vapor Trials? Really?

banghead.gif

z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif

Mine was more a joke than anything. I wasn't fooled by it...so it didn't bother me as much as it did others.

With that said, from what I gather...when they mentioned VT, I think they were referring simply to the "heaviness" of it.

As long as the production is not like VT, and as long as this album actually has GUITAR SOLOS...then I'm happy. 1022.gif

I was pretty happy with the mix of the first two songs (Caravan and BU2B). I really don't want to see VT mentioned anywhere near Clockwork Angels. I know he didn't mean the mix. Nick couldn't reproduce that train wreck if he tried. I just cringed when I saw it! COS and VT together. Thats just awful!

062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 5 2012, 03:05 PM)

confused13.gif

Goober look away!

Vapor Trials? Really?

banghead.gif

z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif

I was pretty happy with the mix of the first two songs (Caravan and BU2B). I really don't want to see VT mentioned anywhere near Clockwork Angels. I know he didn't mean the mix. Nick couldn't reproduce that train wreck if he tried. I just cringed when I saw it! COS and VT together. Thats just awful!

062802puke_prv.gif

To me, that's the best thing they could say, other than saying it's like AFTK or Hemispheres. But hey, every Rush fan is different trink39.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 5 2012, 02:05 PM)

confused13.gif

Goober look away!

Vapor Trials? Really?

banghead.gif

z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif

062802puke_prv.gif

None of these things will mean anything once we get the new album and familiarize ourselves with it. At that point we'll all think it sounds only like CA. Just like all their other albums only sound like themselves if you give them anything more than a superficial pass.

QUOTE (Jake2112 @ Apr 5 2012, 03:10 PM)

confused13.gif

Goober look away!

Vapor Trials? Really?

banghead.gif

z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif

062802puke_prv.gif

To me, that's the best thing they could say, other than saying it's like AFTK or Hemispheres. But hey, every Rush fan is different trink39.gif

Don't get me wrong I like VT, There are really good compositions on that album and I'm sure if someone like NIck, Terry or Peter would remix it, it would sound 100% better. I just think that's its the worst mixed RUSH album ever. (Not the Songs) just the mix! I really can't stand it! After listening to the mix on S&A and now the first two off Clockwork I am pretty stoked about this album. The last thing I expected was have someone compare it to VT!

doh.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 5 2012, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (Jake2112 @ Apr 5 2012, 03:10 PM)

confused13.gif

Goober look away!

Vapor Trials? Really?

banghead.gif

z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif

062802puke_prv.gif

Don't get me wrong I like VT, There are really good compositions on that album and I'm sure if someone like NIck, Terry or Peter would remix it, it would sound 100% better. I just think that's its the worst mixed RUSH album ever. (Not the Songs) just the mix! I really can't stand it! After listening to the mix on S&A and now the first two off Clockwork I am pretty stocked about this album. The last thing I expected was have someone compare it to VT!

doh.gif

Fair point. I'm not a huge fan of S&A but any fan is just reaching for straws if they hate the production.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 5 2012, 03:12 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 5 2012, 02:05 PM)

confused13.gif

Goober look away!

Vapor Trials? Really?

banghead.gif

z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif

062802puke_prv.gif

None of these things will mean anything once we get the new album and familiarize ourselves with it. At that point we'll all think it sounds only like CA. Just like all their other albums only sound like themselves if you give them anything more than a superficial pass.

Yep, I agree, in retrospect all the other albums sound like their own individual entities! I remember people comparing S&A to MP, not even close! Which was one of my reasons for creating the clip. How can so many different influences be heard in one song? It's impossible! I think everyone hears what they want to hear! Regardless, I just wanted to give a taste of what all those tweeted descriptions would sound like!

Oh Well, We live we learn!

unsure.gif

its not like I created a series of tornados to destroy parts of Texas or anything!

no.gif

NOW, I'm fired up!

One thing that was really encouraging about this track was the fact that Neil's drumming was very fast in certain places. BU2B was ... heavy but plodding, not challenging or rhythmically complex. Headlong Flight is totally different. This is Neil at his best, and the break I mentioned earlier feels like his classic fills.

Edited by Phantom

This is the only part I have a problem with :

If I had to encapsulate the sound in just a few words, it would be Caress of Steel crossed with Vapor Trails.

Oh please let him mean Heavy! Please not sound! NOOOOO!

no.gif 062802puke_prv.gif no.gif

QUOTE (Phantom @ Apr 5 2012, 03:23 PM)
NOW, I'm fired up!

One thing that was really encouraging about this track was the fact that Neil's drumming was very fast in certain places. BU2B was ... heavy but plodding, not challenging or rhythmically complex. Headlong Flight is totally different. This is Neil at his best, and the break I mentioned earlier feels like his classic fills.

Description sounds like the fills in The Camera Eye or at the end of Witch Hunt!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 5 2012, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (Phantom @ Apr 5 2012, 03:23 PM)
NOW, I'm fired up!

Description sounds like the fills in The Camera Eye or at the end of Witch Hunt!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Exactly how I imagine it....

What I loved most about Neil's old work were the great fills and the complexity that was layered into it.... Seems like there may be more of that kind of playing on this record.

I also have to be careful with regards to expectations. It's hard not to get totally fired up reading about the song, but I certainly don't want to be let down by it either....

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Apr 5 2012, 11:15 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 5 2012, 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Apr 5 2012, 02:09 PM)
Update from RIAB

UPDATE - 4/5@1:38PM: Here are some of DJ_Carter's comments regarding the radio-edit of Headlong Flight that he listened to:

... The opening chords sound almost EXACTLY like a heavier version of Bastille Day. ... There's some Bastille Day rhythms, a more raw guitar tone that sounds less polished and more Hemispheres-y, an absolutely bone-shattering drum break in the middle that sounds like a modern version of Neil's break in By-Tor, and some really audible and fun shifts in the structure of the song, a la the transitions in Natural Science. If I had to encapsulate the sound in just a few words, it would be Caress of Steel crossed with Vapor Trails. Headlong Flight doesn't feel as heavy as BU2B; it's very much Vapor Trails-y, but with much more tasty bass. Truly, the bass in this song is killer. I think we can count on seeing a lot more of the Leave That Thing Alone live solo stuff on this record. ... One thing that was really encouraging about this track was the fact that Neil's drumming was very fast in certain places. BU2B was ... heavy but plodding, not challenging or rhythmically complex. Headlong Flight is totally different. This is Neil at his best, and the break I mentioned earlier feels like his classic fills. There is indeed a guitar solo, towards the end of the track. But it's a solo in the sense that Alex's solo from Caravan was a solo. He's shredding, no doubt about it, but it isn't like a Freewill type of shredding that has a pattern and a resolution. Very frenetic and exciting, though! ...

Goobs...don't look! tongue.gif

Doesn't goobs love CoS though? Holy conflict! tongue.gif

It's all kind of ridiculous at this point. I've read maybe 10 different descriptions of the song now, and each of the 10 sound like they're talking about different songs.

I much preferred when they released a clip of Far Cry and we all debated on what we'd actually HEARD as opposed to heresay and conflicting descriptions from people based on one listen. It's impossible to know what to think.

Once we hear for ourselves, we'll be able to judge properly...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 5 2012, 05:51 PM)
Update from RIAB

UPDATE - 4/5@1:38PM: Here are some of DJ_Carter's comments regarding the radio-edit of Headlong Flight that he listened to:

... The opening chords sound almost EXACTLY like a heavier version of Bastille Day. ... There's some Bastille Day rhythms, a more raw guitar tone that sounds less polished and more Hemispheres-y, an absolutely bone-shattering drum break in the middle that sounds like a modern version of Neil's break in By-Tor, and some really audible and fun shifts in the structure of the song, a la the transitions in Natural Science. If I had to encapsulate the sound in just a few words, it would be Caress of Steel crossed with Vapor Trails. Headlong Flight doesn't feel as heavy as BU2B; it's very much Vapor Trails-y, but with much more tasty bass. Truly, the bass in this song is killer. I think we can count on seeing a lot more of the Leave That Thing Alone live solo stuff on this record. ... One thing that was really encouraging about this track was the fact that Neil's drumming was very fast in certain places. BU2B was ... heavy but plodding, not challenging or rhythmically complex. Headlong Flight is totally different. This is Neil at his best, and the break I mentioned earlier feels like his classic fills. There is indeed a guitar solo, towards the end of the track. But it's a solo in the sense that Alex's solo from Caravan was a solo. He's shredding, no doubt about it, but it isn't like a Freewill type of shredding that has a pattern and a resolution. Very frenetic and exciting, though! ...

It's all kind of ridiculous at this point. I've read maybe 10 different descriptions of the song now, and each of the 10 sound like they're talking about different songs.

I much preferred when they released a clip of Far Cry and we all debated on what we'd actually HEARD as opposed to heresay and conflicting descriptions from people based on one listen. It's impossible to know what to think.

To make things easier, I just assume the latest description is the most accurate and discard the rest from memory. Plus, this guy sounds pretty lucid.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Apr 5 2012, 06:09 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 5 2012, 05:51 PM)
Update from RIAB

To make things easier, I just assume the latest description is the most accurate and discard the rest from memory. Plus, this guy sounds pretty lucid.

I don't know? I think i rather have it sound like By-Tor/ Bastille Day with 80's synth than COS and VT!

VT Noooooooooooo! rage.gif

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Apr 4 2012, 08:55 PM)
f**k you. This actually makes thins worse than nothing at all. You made people's hopes rise and then you smashed them down. So all I have to say is f**k you.

Lighten up, Francis.