32 yrs ago tonite!!!!!!

chemistry

QUOTE (chemistry @ Apr 4 2012, 03:32 PM)
4-4-1980 International Amphitheater 1st time of many Ive seen RUSH

Was that the Permanent Waves tour? I remember listening to the Moving Pictures tour being played live on the WLUP from the International Amphitheater. 1022.gif

My first RUSH concert was five months later, in Cincinnati, during their Moving Pictures Warm-Up mini- tour. September 23rd, 1980.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo long ago..... fists crying.gif fists crying.gif

I don't even remember the warm-up band (Saxon). All I can remember is just a few images and sensations, like Geddy's fingers flying all over his bass strings, Neil tossing his drumstick WAY high up in the air....Geddy announcing that they were playing some new tunes....

.......back then, you could only keep one eye on the Show, with the other eye looking out for Coliseum people, as you didn't want to get busted for smoking your joint..... dazed025.gif dazed025.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 4 2012, 06:07 PM)
My first RUSH concert was five months later, in Cincinnati, during their Moving Pictures Warm-Up mini- tour.  September 23rd, 1980. 

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo long ago..... fists crying.gif  fists crying.gif

I don't even remember the warm-up band (Saxon).  All I can remember is just a few images and sensations, like Geddy's fingers flying all over his bass strings, Neil tossing his drumstick WAY high up in the air....Geddy announcing that they were playing some new tunes....

.......back then, you could only keep one eye on the Show, with the other eye looking out for Coliseum people, as you didn't want to get busted for smoking your joint..... dazed025.gif  dazed025.gif

Gees,

Back then the concerts I attended. cool10.gif was the last thing any of us worried about getting busted over. Security pretty much could have cared less. tongue.gif

QUOTE (chemistry @ Apr 4 2012, 03:32 PM)
4-4-1980 International Amphitheater 1st time of many Ive seen RUSH

http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/datab...ecordingID=1374

You were there. Enjoy yourself.

In just a few more months I will be celebrating my 30th anniversary too (see my sig).

Edited by drbirdsong

My first Rush show was April 1, 1980 in Winnipeg.

I waited in line outside for tickets at Eaton's on a cold Friday/Saturday night in February. Van Halen tickets were on sale at the same time and I was 8th in line and no one in front of me was buying Rush. I was so pumped. My favorite band and front row tickets in my cold hands in the morning. I still have the pix and I know that Geddy was sorta pissed because I took so many (Ged looked directly at me and, although I was right in front of Alex, he never looked at me once).

The warm-up act was Saga and they were amazing too. There song 'On the Loose' was so great.

After the show, I stood at the backdoor. Neil was the first to exit... two steps and he was in the bus. Later, Alex came out and walked into a Limo, very frowny faced... we couldn't speak 'cause he was our idol... and I now know from the Rush in Rio, that he was with his wife. This was the last show on the Canadian Leg and I guess she met up with him.

Such an experience, and I should add, that we snuck into the arena to watch the sound check. I can remember them doing Entre Nous and some other stuff. My buddies remember it better than I, as I was so freaked out, seeing them so casual on the stage. Also, the night before me and the bass player I jammed with hit the two big hotels in town in hopes of seeing them.

The tour earlier, my buddy told me stories of how shocked he was when he saw Alex in the lobby of a hotel with his short, shaggy Hemispheres 'do' in December 1978.

Ah, the memories...

Edited by kevorkazito

QUOTE (troutman @ Apr 4 2012, 10:04 PM)
These days, you can't even spit out your gum. tongue.gif

Sadly, the WHO tragedy was a direct cause of today's strict concert rules. Once that tragedy occurred, venues across the country started banning festival seating, smoking, open flames (no more flicking your Bics!)......

I shall refrain from venting about today's security people at concerts. It would take all night..... angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Apr 4 2012, 09:16 PM)

You basically had to cup your hand a bit, hold the joint with the lit end pointed towards your palm (without burning yourself!), so they couldn't see the fire, and then you would bend over, take a quick toke, and wait for the right time to exhale.....we didn't mind holding it in for a while.....  wink.gif  wink.gif

You should write an instruction book how to cool10.gif at concerts. biggrin.gif