2112/MP Classic Albums DVD

Powderfinger

Purchased a copy of the 2112/Moving Pictures Classic Albums DVD earlier this evening. Watching it now. Pretty damn cool so far! I read a review on Amazon that criticized this documentary for not really expanding on the Beyond the Lighted Stage material. But I'm only about 15 minutes in and I'm seeing all kinds of unique footage.

Yeah, it was definitely a good buy and really interesting DVD.

And wat? If people want BTLS, then go watch it. It's already jam packed with extras confused13.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Mar 10 2012, 02:03 AM)
It's alright. I was really disappointed all of side 2 of MP was completely ignored. dazed025.gif

This surprised me too. I'd have thought that each of those albums would have warranted a classic album treatment of their own, as opposed to combining them into one.

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Mar 10 2012, 02:03 AM)
It's alright. I was really disappointed all of side 2 of MP was completely ignored.  dazed025.gif

yes.gif If your not going to do it right , don't do it . I was Pissed when i watched it . They should have sold the 2 dvd's separately

Edited by metaldad

Having finished the DVD, I have to say I absolutely love it.

It's not perfect, sure. But it's not a cash grab either. It's two hours of mostly unique footage and material that I picked up for ten dollars. As a musician, I especially enjoyed the segments at the mixing console with Terry Brown and the in-depth analysis of some of the master tracks.

I also found Neil's discussion of his lyrical development intriguing. Not anything I didn't already know, but I appreciate hearing him explain the arc of his development as a lyricist in his own words, with the benefit of hindsight.

I agree with others that it's a shame we don't get side two of Moving Pictures. The Camera Eye and Vital Signs are my second and third favorite songs from that album, and I would have appreciated their inclusion. But notwithstanding that criticism, I think this is a great set. A lot of fun!

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Mar 11 2012, 12:43 PM)

It's not perfect, sure. But it's not a cash grab either. It's two hours of mostly unique footage and material that I picked up for ten dollars. As a musician, I especially enjoyed the segments at the mixing console with Terry Brown and the in-depth analysis of some of the master tracks.

I also found Neil's discussion of his lyrical development intriguing. Not anything I didn't already know, but I appreciate hearing him explain the arc of his development as a lyricist in his own words, with the benefit of hindsight.

I agree with others that it's a shame we don't get side two of Moving Pictures. The Camera Eye and Vital Signs are my second and third favorite songs from that album, and I would have appreciated their inclusion. But notwithstanding that criticism, I think this is a great set. A lot of fun!

Couldn't agree more with all your statements, especially the Terry Brown mixing segment!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 11 2012, 06:39 PM)

Couldn't agree more with all your statements, especially the Terry Brown mixing segment!

trink39.gif

it's cool indeed. But it's no different than the dozens of other "Classic Albums" DVD's out there. They all have the producers playing with the mixing console, the band members playing along side the songs, and they only document about 5 or 6 of the 10 or so songs on each album (in Rush's case it was 4 of the 7 tracks). I love the Classic Albums series but I wish they were more different from each other.

I thought it was a nice companion for Beyond The Lighted Stage because it digs deeper into the technical side of things. I would like to see a longer version for each album. It takes a week to get through a Neil Peart DVD.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Mar 12 2012, 06:24 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 11 2012, 06:39 PM)

trink39.gif

it's cool indeed. But it's no different than the dozens of other "Classic Albums" DVD's out there. They all have the producers playing with the mixing console, the band members playing along side the songs, and they only document about 5 or 6 of the 10 or so songs on each album (in Rush's case it was 4 of the 7 tracks). I love the Classic Albums series but I wish they were more different from each other.

I agree, I wish it was an in-depth analysis of every song, but as you know from seeing other Classic album specials, they are usually 1 hour long made for TV so they are what they are. I'd much rather have it as it is, than not have it at all. If anything, I wish on the DVD they would include complete interviews with the different people as extras. You know they probably have 4 hours of interview with Terry Brown alone and they probably talked to him about all the songs on MP's, but they had to cut it for time. So my only criticism is that they should include all those complete interviews as extras on the DVDs for those of us who would watch them.

Like for me, that last scene in BTLS where they are at dinner, I was so glad they included it as an extra. That said, I would have watched them at dinner talking for 10 hours if they included it. Granted there would be parts they'd edit out because they might be personal, but all the general conversation, I'd watch every second of them just BSing at dinner. But that's just me!

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 9 2012, 09:47 PM)
This DVD is awesome! (I got the BluRay/DVD combo) I LOVE when they play the each instrument individually on 2112 and then put it together. Just so cool.

Ditto. I really enjoyed when they did this with YYZ biggrin.gif