This Forum Is Getting Ready To Explode

presto123

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 3 2012, 05:17 PM)
What is your experience of waiting for samples or singles or info from various records?

I'm old. I remember when the ONLY WAY to get your hands on the "single" from a forthcoming album was to wait for the radio station to play it, and then tape it onto a blank cassette. We did this with GUP ("Distant Early Warning"), we did this with PoW ("The Big Money"), etc.

And once we had the new song on a cassette, we'd play it OVER AND OVER AND OVER for weeks, until the full album came out. On a Saturday, we might play it 200 times.

Two habits remain from those days: when I get the new single I still play it OVER AND OVER until the full album comes out, and I still buy the full album on the first day of release. (A few times, I've managed to score it sooner.)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Mar 24 2012, 10:04 PM)
I think I'll buy the album at Walmart the day of release after school (or on the way).

Can you pick me up a pair of socks ?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 30 2012, 08:41 AM)
What is your experience of waiting for samples or singles or info from various records?

I'm old. I remember when the ONLY WAY to get your hands on the "single" from a forthcoming album was to wait for the radio station to play it, and then tape it onto a blank cassette. We did this with GUP ("Distant Early Warning"), we did this with PoW ("The Big Money"), etc.

And once we had the new song on a cassette, we'd play it OVER AND OVER AND OVER for weeks, until the full album came out. On a Saturday, we might play it 200 times.

Two habits remain from those days: when I get the new single I still play it OVER AND OVER until the full album comes out, and I still buy the full album on the first day of release. (A few times, I've managed to score it sooner.)

I did this until the 45 was released old.gif The first thing i did was to play the B side because that one i never heard before

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 30 2012, 09:41 AM)

I remember all too well those days of leaving the radio on during every moment I wasn't in school, waiting to hear the DJ announce that the new Rush single was coming up in the next lineup. Then getting pissed and impatient as one non-Rush song after another played as I sat with my finger poised over the record button.

And like as not, getting equally pissed off when the stupid DJ talked through the first 30 seconds of the song or cut the end off. Middle of the night was a prime time to record, since those DJs were generally pretty quiet or just loaded a cart and walked off. You had to be on your game, though, because there was rarely any warning that the Rush song was coming up.

I had nearly one whole side of a cassette filled with repeats of Distant Early Warning and would just load and listen over and over. laugh.gif I was a bit weary of it by the time GUP finally was released!

I remember those days very well, and the only way to get RUSH tickets were to camp out all night and wait until at 10:00 the next morning to get your RUSH tickets from Ticket Master or even Bass Ticket outlets if you were an older fan! They were fun nights though, playing football and going through just about every RUSH album on cassettes to fill up the night! Taking sleep breaks in you car as your bud held your place in line! Going for breakfast runs in the same manner! Then came 10:00am everyone became very edgy as the tickets began to roll out.

"I got the Floor Center!" The first guy would yell very estatic!

Everyone would smile! then the second guy would come out!

" I got lower lever Geddy Side!" he'd say!

Everyone would start getting nervous and would say " The Floor is sold out!"

Third guy would come out! Not looking to happy! "I got lower level in the back!"

Everyone would let out an astonding "Aww crap" Cuase we knew we would be in the upper levels if we got in at all!

The Next guy would come out! "RUSH sold out!"

"Noooooooooo!" Everyone would say in an overwhelming sigh!

Then the ticket master guy would exclaim " Another show just went on sale for the next day!"

"Yeah!!!!!!" The crowd would cheer!

applaudit.gif common001.gif trink39.gif 1287.gif icon_alienjig.gif 653.gif

I'm glad some things have changed!

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 30 2012, 01:26 PM)

I remember those days very well, and the only way to get RUSH tickets were to camp out all night and wait until at 10:00 the next morning to get your RUSH tickets from Ticket Master or even Bass Ticket outlets if you were an older fan! They were fun nights though, playing football and going through just about every RUSH album on cassettes to fill up the night! Taking sleep breaks in you car as your bud held your place in line! Going for breakfast runs in the same manner! Then came 10:00am everyone became very edgy as the tickets began to roll out.

Third guy would come out! Not looking to happy! "I got lower level in the back!"

Everyone would let out an astonding "Aww crap" Cuase we knew we would be in the upper levels if we got in at all!

Then the ticket master guy would exclaim " Another show just went on sale for the next day!"

Every time laugh.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 30 2012, 02:26 PM)

Those campouts were a shitload of fun, though. The elation from scoring Rush tickets would last until about noon before your body suddenly announced that it was exhausted from no sleep (or from crappy sleep on pavement, which sometimes got interrupted by someone stepping on you), and you'd crash.

I was in high school and camped out with my little cadre of Rush friends, all guys. Our parents would come check on us and bring food and stuff.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 30 2012, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 30 2012, 02:26 PM)

Those campouts were a shitload of fun, though. The elation from scoring Rush tickets would last until about noon before your body suddenly announced that it was exhausted from no sleep (or from crappy sleep on pavement, which sometimes got interrupted by someone stepping on you), and you'd crash.

I was in high school and camped out with my little cadre of Rush friends, all guys. Our parents would come check on us and bring food and stuff.

Yeah the parents would come by to see what was going on didn't they? Also other people who drive by asking who were we camping out for and We all yell "RUSH", then the people in the car would reply "Who?" with a wierd look on their face!

rofl3.gif

Good times!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by losingit2k