New Orleans SAINTS official thread 2012-13

treeduck

Way to put that record out there. 7000 yds allowed. A season for the ages.

Actually here's my big chance to point out that in the context of the era the record wasn't all that remarkable, and that the 1981 Colts are still the worst defense of all time in the context of the time they played.

And I'd be right. :)

The interesting thing is Joe Vitt was an assistant coach for the Colts in 1981...

Hmmm...

HOME: Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, Miami, Arizona, San Francisco, Dallas.

AWAY: Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa Bay, New England, New York Jets, St. Louis, Seattle, Chicago.

Can't wait to see the Saints defense go up against Mark Sanchez. :)

HOME: Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, Miami, Arizona, San Francisco, Dallas.

AWAY: Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa Bay, New England, New York Jets, St. Louis, Seattle, Chicago.

Can't wait to see the Saints defense go up against Mark Sanchez. :)

It'll be Vick or Smith probably...

Say it ain't so.

They owe Sanchez such a huge bonus and would have to take such a cap hit, they HAVE to play him, don't they?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeze?

Say it ain't so.

They owe Sanchez such a huge bonus and would have to take such a cap hit, they HAVE to play him, don't they?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeze?

He'll be benched, the highest paid back-up in the league. The comedy award will be up for grabs next year, maybe Romo can get it?

New Orleans Saints player: Steve Spagnuolo should be fired as defensive coordinator

Players throughout the season gave a uniform voice of support for New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and the drastically different scheme he brought to the team when the Saints hired him one year ago. That doesn't sound like the case anymore.

Saints defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo should be fired after only one season in New Orleans, a Saints player told NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune on Tuesday night.

Ted Jackson, Nola.com | The Times-Picayune

One Saints player, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said a "resounding" yes when asked if he thought Spagnuolo should be fired after just one season in New Orleans as the Saints broke the single-season record for most yards allowed.

"Trust me all the guys were being politically correct this season when answering questions," the player said. "It's bad."

The player added: "To give up what we gave up can't be all talent. Look at where his units (have) been ranked before. I think one top 10?"

The Saints finished last in the NFL in total defense, last in run defense, 31st in pass defense, 31st in points allowed and tied for 29th in sacks.

"Players have no say in anything," the player said. "It was (a) complete opposite from before where it was a simple D that players had lot of control and say. We couldn't suggest (expletive)...Nothing ever changed. It was his way only.

"Don't even get me started on lack (of) ability to adjust during games. Bad, bad, bad."

The player also said every position group on defense was frustrated with Spagnuolo's scheme all season. "(It was) tough putting on a supportive, everything-will-be-OK face, for you guys (the media) all the time," the player said.

The player said it wasn't just wasn't Spagnuolo's scheme that rubbed players the wrong way. It was Spagnuolo as a coach and a person.

"He does have that good-guy persona, but he is a control freak and treats people like crap," the player said. (Spagnuolo has) no patience and zero personality. (He) has a way of pissing players and our defensive coaches off with how he says and does things. (I) think it's even harder after having (former defensive coordinator) Gregg (Williams), who guys enjoyed."

Saints announce extension with Sean Payton

Posted by Mike Florio on January 9, 2013, 5:51 PM EST

AP

The Saints and coach Sean Payton previously had reached an agreement in principle on a new contract. The agreement in principle has now become an agreement in reality.

The team has announced that Payton’s new five-year contract has been signed.“I am excited that we have finalized this contract with Sean,” Saints owner Tom Benson said. “He has been a great leader for our organization. He and Mickey [Loomis] have built a foundation of success as they have built the roster. We have already begun preparations for the 2013 season and I look forward to getting Sean back in the building as soon as possible, as I know our fans do as well.”

“Sean has been a critical part of our success, getting him signed to a long-term deal is very important to our organization and we are pleased to have it finalized,” Loomis said. “We have already begun the process of planning for the 2013 season, turning the page on 2012. We have challenges ahead, but they are nothing we cannot overcome. I know Sean is ready to get back to football in 2013.”

Payton can’t get back to football until he’s reinstated by Commissioner Roger Goodell. The league says there’s no timetable for considering whether and when Payton will be allowed to return from a suspension that is supposed to last through the Super Bowl.

Given that the Saints’ season is over and preparations are beginning for 2013, there seems to be no further reason to delay taking up the question of whether he should be allowed to return to work.

AP

The Saints and coach Sean Payton previously had reached an agreement in principle on a new contract. The agreement in principle has now become an agreement in reality.

The team has announced that Payton’s new five-year contract has been signed.“I am excited that we have finalized this contract with Sean,” Saints owner Tom Benson said. “He has been a great leader for our organization. He and Mickey [Loomis] have built a foundation of success as they have built the roster. We have already begun preparations for the 2013 season and I look forward to getting Sean back in the building as soon as possible, as I know our fans do as well.”

“Sean has been a critical part of our success, getting him signed to a long-term deal is very important to our organization and we are pleased to have it finalized,” Loomis said. “We have already begun the process of planning for the 2013 season, turning the page on 2012. We have challenges ahead, but they are nothing we cannot overcome. I know Sean is ready to get back to football in 2013.”

Payton can’t get back to football until he’s reinstated by Commissioner Roger Goodell. The league says there’s no timetable for considering whether and when Payton will be allowed to return from a suspension that is supposed to last through the Super Bowl.

Given that the Saints’ season is over and preparations are beginning for 2013, there seems to be no further reason to delay taking up the question of whether he should be allowed to return to work.

Goodell is just delaying this unneccesarily at this point...just shows the real asshole that he really is!!...... :rage:

:notworthy: Sean Payton :notworthy:

AP

Goodell is just delaying this unneccesarily at this point...just shows the real asshole that he really is!!...... :rage:

Goodhell is making sure New Orleans people don't lynch him by holding Payton to ransom till after the Superbowl...

AP

Goodhell is making sure New Orleans people don't lynch him by holding Payton to ransom till after the Superbowl...

Lynching?? That's what he deserves......can we spike the drinks of his security detail so we can get at him?????

AP

:goodone:

AP

:givebeer:

AP

:givebeer:

Ok! Here ya go!

:hail: :hail: :hail: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

New Orleans Saints @Saints

.@thomasmorstead Named to NFL.com's All-Pro Team: bit.ly/TM11113

Punter

Thomas Morstead, New Orleans Saints

There is nothing like hearing the sound of the ball coming off Morestead's foot in the Superdome. He has exceptional height and distance on kicks.

Greg Aiello ‏@gregaiello

Judge Berrigan has dismissed the Vilma/Ginsberg defamation case against Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Gabe Feldman ‏@SportsLawGuy

Judge Berrigan dismissed Vilma's defamation suit today on preemption grounds. Bounty-Gate is finally (mostly) dead...

Sean Payton reinstated by NFL as Saints head coach

By Gregg Rosenthal

New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton can go back to work.

The NFL announced Tuesday morning that Commissioner Roger Goodell has reinstated Payton from his season-long suspension, effective immediately. The two men met on Monday, with Payton acknowledging his responsibility for the actions of his coaching staff and players.

"We had a very productive discussion," Goodell said in a statement. "Sean fully complied with all the requirements imposed on him during his suspension. More important, it is clear that Sean understands and accepts his responsibilities as a head coach and the vital role that coaches play in promoting player safety and setting an example for how the game should be played at all levels. We are committed to delivering football that fans love and the safety players deserve. Coach Payton agrees and I look forward to working with him going forward to do that."

Payton can resume his coaching duties immediately. That means he'll be able to attend the Senior Bowl this week and get back in the Saints' facility to start preparations for the offseason. Of course, the Saints' stadium and facilities will be busy next week with Super Bowl week arriving in New Orleans. Reinstating Payton now helps put the Bounty scandal behind the league with the big game approaching.

"I am thankful today Commissioner Goodell has granted me reinstatement," Payton said in a statement released by the Saints. "As I stated back in March, 'I, along with Mickey Loomis, take full responsibility for all aspects of our football program.'

I clearly recognize that mistakes were made, which led to league violations.

Furthermore, I have assured the Commissioner a more diligent protocol will be followed.

Lastly, I feel we have learned from our mistakes and are ready to move forward. I want to thank our owner, Mr. Benson and all of our great fans for the overwhelming support throughout this past year.

I am excited to be back as Head Coach of the New Orleans Saints!"

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport notes that Payton's originally-scheduled date to return to the Saints was February 3. This gives him a chance to start studying up on prospects at the Senior Bowl, and possibly eases some of the tension between the NFL and the city of New Orleans before the Super Bowl. It will be interesting to see if Payton becomes a vocal presence during the week. He certainly has a lot of work to do with his team.

Former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams remains suspended indefinitely.

New Orleans Welcomes The Super Bowl With A “Roger Goodell Being Eaten By A Giant Vagina” Float

Barry Petchesky

The Krewe du Vieux is one of the first parades on the Carnival calendar, and surely the most explicit. The Times-Picayune says it "aims for eyebrow-raising, low-brow amusement and often hits the mark with its rude designs and naughty details." But topicality is important, and with Roger Goodell coming to town for the Super Bowl in two weeks, nothing's more topical than welcoming the commissioner to New Orleans.

There were multiple Goodell-themed floats (here's Rog f***ing a barnyard animal), but the grand prize has to go to the one you see above. That would be, as a float co-captain described, Goodell falling prey to "a giant, man-eating vagina that is getting its revenge."

Top photo by Twitter user @dolphnlvr6/Bottom photo by Cajun Boy

By Gregg Rosenthal

The NFL announced Tuesday morning that Commissioner Roger Goodell has reinstated Payton from his season-long suspension, effective immediately. The two men met on Monday, with Payton acknowledging his responsibility for the actions of his coaching staff and players.

"We had a very productive discussion," Goodell said in a statement. "Sean fully complied with all the requirements imposed on him during his suspension. More important, it is clear that Sean understands and accepts his responsibilities as a head coach and the vital role that coaches play in promoting player safety and setting an example for how the game should be played at all levels. We are committed to delivering football that fans love and the safety players deserve. Coach Payton agrees and I look forward to working with him going forward to do that."

Payton can resume his coaching duties immediately. That means he'll be able to attend the Senior Bowl this week and get back in the Saints' facility to start preparations for the offseason. Of course, the Saints' stadium and facilities will be busy next week with Super Bowl week arriving in New Orleans. Reinstating Payton now helps put the Bounty scandal behind the league with the big game approaching.

"I am thankful today Commissioner Goodell has granted me reinstatement," Payton said in a statement released by the Saints. "As I stated back in March, 'I, along with Mickey Loomis, take full responsibility for all aspects of our football program.'

Furthermore, I have assured the Commissioner a more diligent protocol will be followed.

Lastly, I feel we have learned from our mistakes and are ready to move forward. I want to thank our owner, Mr. Benson and all of our great fans for the overwhelming support throughout this past year.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport notes that Payton's originally-scheduled date to return to the Saints was February 3. This gives him a chance to start studying up on prospects at the Senior Bowl, and possibly eases some of the tension between the NFL and the city of New Orleans before the Super Bowl. It will be interesting to see if Payton becomes a vocal presence during the week. He certainly has a lot of work to do with his team.

Former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams remains suspended indefinitely.

Payton returns.....There is a god.....

:notworthy: :ebert: :yay: :cheerleader: :banana:

New Orleans Welcomes The Super Bowl With A “Roger Goodell Being Eaten By A Giant Vagina” Float

Barry Petchesky

The Krewe du Vieux is one of the first parades on the Carnival calendar, and surely the most explicit. The Times-Picayune says it "aims for eyebrow-raising, low-brow amusement and often hits the mark with its rude designs and naughty details." But topicality is important, and with Roger Goodell coming to town for the Super Bowl in two weeks, nothing's more topical than welcoming the commissioner to New Orleans.

There were multiple Goodell-themed floats (here's Rog f***ing a barnyard animal), but the grand prize has to go to the one you see above. That would be, as a float co-captain described, Goodell falling prey to "a giant, man-eating vagina that is getting its revenge."

OMG! :o :laughing guy:

We can get rid of him yet.....

By Gregg Rosenthal

Payton returns.....There is a god.....

:notworthy: :ebert: :yay: :cheerleader: :banana:

:cheers: :clap: :ebert:

Goodhell thinks he is God! :blink: :wacko: :crazy:

Barry Petchesky

OMG! :o :laughing guy:

We can get rid of him yet.....

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :givebeer:

The Return Of The Pucker.....

http://www.vanguardia.com.mx/XStatic/vanguardia/images/espanol/sean-payton-564.jpg

:o :o :o