Question about BU2B artwork

Eikon

I have seen plenty of threads debating the symbolism of the pentagram on the 2012 album cover as being satanic or what have you. I have never really bought into any of that thinking, but I did notice something on the BU2B artwork that I think is worth discussing. Note the symbol in the center:

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/downloads/smartphone360x480/Rush-BU2B.jpg

According to this website, that is the official symbol for Anton La Vey's First Church of Satan in San Francisco, and appears on the cover of the satanic bible. As a corroborating source, this website claims it is referred to as the symbol of Nine Satanic Statements and that its use denotes satanic involvement.

I find it highly strange that this symbol would be used prominently to promote a song that is about being brought up to believe in God but ultimately rejecting him. Personally as a Christian, this doesn't really affect my view on Rush but I do find it a bit disconcerting. Why do you think Rush would choose to use this symbol and what are your thoughts on this subject in general?

http://www.goodlogo.com/images/logos/texaco_logo_2616.gif

Just goes to show ya where Satan shows up - the ever increasing price of oil and gas - which fuel the fires of hell. wink.gif

2112 used very standard literary symbols (nakedness=purity, red star=power). This uses an ordinary alchemial symbol which fits in perfectly with the steampunk theme. Satan is not in Rush, you just see it that way because it's easy for people to see what they want (that's how English lit courses work!).

QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Feb 27 2012, 04:04 PM)
http://garyploski.com/wp-content/uploads/satan-was-a-lesbian-.jpg

apparently a horny one. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Feb 27 2012, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 27 2012, 04:02 PM)
Besides, the red star in Rush's logo stands for evil government.

According to Peart, the red star symbolizes the collectivist mentality.

practically the same thing.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 27 2012, 04:14 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Feb 27 2012, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 27 2012, 04:02 PM)
Besides, the red star in Rush's logo stands for evil government.

According to Peart, the red star symbolizes the collectivist mentality.

practically the same thing.

laugh.gif yeah sure

and maybe the alchemical symbol for sulfur is the Satanic biblical sign due to the "burning in the lake of sulfur" or whatever that Revelations verse is.. idk :/

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Feb 27 2012, 06:03 PM)
They're just big King Diamond fans.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/proka92/255_logo.jpg

According to wiki: In 2004, King Diamond contributed vocals to "Sweet Dreams", which was the final track on the album of Dave Grohl's heavy metal side project Probot.

Dave Grohl's band is Foo Fighters. They were produced by Nick Raskulinecz, who went on to produce Rush. How many degrees of separation is that.

And also from wiki, regarding the Sulfur symbol: The Satanic Cross, is a variation of the alchemical symbol for Sulfur, that represents fire and brimstone. The sulfur symbol was placed above the Nine Satanic Statements (p. 25) in The Satanic Bible in LaVeyan Satanism, and is commonly used in rituals performed by Theistic Satanists.

It can also be interpreted as a combination of the Lorraine cross and the mathematical symbol for Infinity, or a phallic re-imagining of the cross, with the Infinity symbol representing a scrotum. It is incorrectly interpretated as a symbol of Satanism, because it didn't have any connection with Satanism before LaVey adopted it from the Cross of Lorraine or even the Patriarchal cross, which is also a symbol of Christianity and Hermeticism. Hermetic alchemists of the Renaissance used the emblem as a symbol of earth and spirit by combining the square earth cross with the cross of Christ. When drawn symmetrically, it symbolised the hermetic maxim, "As above, so below".

In the Catholic Church, the equal-armed Lorraine Cross denotes the office of Cardinal.

QUOTE (druid13 @ Feb 28 2012, 02:21 PM)
of course it is...but this is what todays modern day tea party conservative fool looks for in everything....

Are you calling us Tea Party-Conservatives fools?

Edited by Nate2112

Why would I say that...people dressing in pre-revolutionary war clothing pretending to be grassroots while be fully subverted and funded by astro turf sources who happen to believe allowing default is OK with the debt ceiling, want the "guvment hands off mah medicare", would prefer science just 'go away or something' and ask again and again for a birth certificate they have already had access to for quite some time?

No I would not call them foolish.