R30 DVD - Please Help With Question

Powderfinger

Greetings Fellow Rush Fans,

I was at the store earlier today and came across two new copies of the R30 DVD. One listed the second disc/bonus materials on the back cover. The other simply listed the main concert.

My question is, will a DVD set with the second disc/bonus material automatically include the audio CDs? Or is that a different set altogether?

Something else worth mentioning: both copies were being sold for $19.99. Is it a steal to grab the 2-DVD set for that price?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I sort of let my appreciation for Rush diminish in the last 15-20 years. But I'm back with a vengeance, and I'm trying to stock up on the post-Counterparts material, where I last left off.

Thank you!

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Feb 21 2012, 11:29 PM)
Greetings Fellow Rush Fans,

I was at the store earlier today and came across two new copies of the R30 DVD. One listed the second disc/bonus materials on the back cover. The other simply listed the main concert.

My question is, will a DVD set with the second disc/bonus material automatically include the audio CDs? Or is that a different set altogether?

Something else worth mentioning: both copies were being sold for $19.99. Is it a steal to grab the 2-DVD set for that price?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I sort of let my appreciation for Rush diminish in the last 15-20 years. But I'm back with a vengeance, and I'm trying to stock up on the post-Counterparts material, where I last left off.

Thank you!

Hello,

Welcome back to the RUSH fold!

The answer is you need to get the Deluxe version that has a total of 4 discs to get the 2 CDs that have the concert audio version.

I think the one you are referring to is just the standard version with 2 DVDs that only has the video of the concert.

Here is a link to the one you are want on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Rush-R30-30th-Annive...9881613&sr=8-11

And trust me, it's well worth it to have the DVDs and the 2 bonus CDs. I listen to R30 CDs at least once a week, specifically the first CD with the R30 Overture. Here is a pic from media player that shows all the tracks.

Hope this helps.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/gobrownstd54/pic-of-r30-cds.jpg

Edited by Presto-a RUSH fan!

Thank you so much, Presto-a Rush Fan! That clarifies everything. I know I could have spent time researching my question, but I figured I could be assisted with minimal effort from an expert here!

Also, thank you for your opinion on the set. I have the Rush in Rio DVD set, but wasn't sure where to go next...

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Feb 21 2012, 11:55 PM)
Thank you so much, Presto-a Rush Fan! That clarifies everything. I know I could have spent time researching my question, but I figured I could be assisted with minimal effort from an expert here!

Also, thank you for your opinion on the set. I have the Rush in Rio DVD set, but wasn't sure where to go next...

Well, R30 is my personal favorite live CD recording, so I am biased in that opinion, but if the price difference is $19.99 for just the 2 DVDs to $24.99 to get the DVDs and the 2 bonus CDs, that is a no brainer to go with the Deluxe edition. $5 more for the DVDs and the 2 CDs of the concert...you can't go wrong there. The deluxe edition also comes with a little booklet and 2 guitar picks, at least mine did. Glad I could help, but I'm no expert, I just have more time on my hands and I had to ask someone the same question because I saw so many different versions of R30.

trink39.gif

Rush really let the fans down on this one. IMO dazed025.gif

R30 was released 3 different ways.

1. Most of the concert on DVD

2. Most of the concert on DVD with bonus materials and a CD version

3. The entire concert on Blu-Ray with no extras and no CDs

Now, you tell me what's wrong with this picture?

In order to get the full experience with all of the content, you have to buy this thing TWICE! Some of my favorite songs (La Villa Strangiato, By-Tor) were cut from the Deluxe edition DVD.

Why did they do this? eh.gif

The extras in my Deluxe copy are pretty cool, but i still feel like I'm missing out on content. It's not like I don't already have these songs (and live versions of them) but still. When you buy a concert movie, you expect to get a whole concert.

rantoff.gif

Edited by Dscrapre

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Feb 22 2012, 12:10 AM)
Rush really let the fans down on this one. IMO dazed025.gif

R30 was released 3 different ways.

1. Most of the concert on DVD

2. Most of the concert on DVD with bonus materials and a CD version

3. The entire concert on Blu-Ray with no extras and no CDs

Now, you tell me what's wrong with this picture?

In order to get the full experience with all of the content, you have to buy this thing TWICE! Some of my favorite songs (La Villa Strangiato, By-Tor) were cut from the Deluxe edition DVD.

Why did they do this? eh.gif

The extras in my Deluxe copy are pretty cool, but i still feel like I'm missing out on content. It's not like I don't already have these songs (and live versions of them) but still. When you buy a concert movie, you expect to get a whole concert.

rantoff.gif

I agree with you on that argument, but I still am glad I have it. Like I said, I had to research this because there was so many freaking versions. That said, the best deal, for me, was the Deluxe. But I get what your saying. Why can't they just release one on DVD, one on BluRay and both have the same extras.

Of course I am a RUSH "apologist" but I think it has more to do with the company putting out the stuff than the band. But again, I always tend to lean to the side of RUSH is right! wink.gif laugh.gif

Edited because my english sucks

Edited by Presto-a RUSH fan!

I have the deluxe with the CDs and the guitar picks and I was very happy with it. Then I got the Blu-Ray with the entire concert. Together they make a nice bundle. I know some fans, me included, wish they would just release a complete version and be done with it, but there are fans who just want the basics with no extras. At least Rush isn't releasing $100 box sets with two or three rarities (not yet anyway - but I really don't see them doing that).

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Feb 22 2012, 12:30 AM)
I have the deluxe with the CDs and the guitar picks and I was very happy with it. Then I got the Blu-Ray with the entire concert. Together they make a nice bundle. I know some fans, me included, wish they would just release a complete version and be done with it, but there are fans who just want the basics with no extras. At least Rush isn't releasing $100 box sets with two or three rarities (not yet anyway - but I really don't see them doing that).

I considered getting the BluRay too, but I just couldn't justify the money. But I'm not one who needs to have every version of a song. I never buy those greatest hits, even when they do a remastered song or a live song on them. Some day I may just buy the R30 BluRay just because I love that tour so much though.

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Feb 21 2012, 11:48 PM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Feb 22 2012, 12:30 AM)
I have the deluxe with the CDs and the guitar picks and I was very happy with it.  Then I got the Blu-Ray with the entire concert.  Together they make a nice bundle.  I know some fans, me included, wish they would just release a complete version and be done with it, but there are fans who just want the basics with no extras.  At least Rush isn't releasing $100 box sets with two or three rarities (not yet anyway - but I really don't see them doing that).

I considered getting the BluRay too, but I just couldn't justify the money. But I'm not one who needs to have every version of a song. I never buy those greatest hits, even when they do a remastered song or a live song on them. Some day I may just buy the R30 BluRay just because I love that tour so much though.

I hear you. I have the red ICON because I found it for about 5 bucks one day. I'll get the black one if I find a similar deal. I occasionally see the vinyl albums, but I'm not going to play them, I have no turntable. I'm almost 50. At this age I'm looking to rid my house of clutter, not add to it.

(But if Alex is reading and wants to send me a guitar, I'll TAKE it!)

R30 rocks. Get it.

These dvd releases really irritated me when they first came out. Initially, the dvd came out with several songs removed entirely. From what I understood, the reasoning behind it was because these songs were also played on the previous tour, and if memory serves, Geddy suggested that they didn't want to have those same songs on consecutive live dvd releases. If that's the case, why did they play those same songs on consecutive tours?

However, if the reasoning behind the removing of these tunes had something to do with audio or video problems, then that's a different story.

With them having eventually released the dvd again, with all the material on it, I give the band credit. And I also believed that Ged suggested that in hindsight, they should have released the dvd in it's entirety first time around.

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Feb 22 2012, 07:36 AM)
The blu-ray is DEFINITELY worth the price, especially to see the extra songs! (or I guess, entire concert lol)

yes.gif

And as for the DVD Disc 2 bonus material not on the blu-ray, I just borrowed a copy from a friend and made my own.

Just so everyone knows, it's not hard to rip the audio of a DVD and make your own CDs out of them. I have done this for several live DVDs that I want to listen to in the car. If you're lucky, the DVD will have a PCM stereo track you can directly record onto a CD (e.g. Rammstein's Volkerball). If not you will have to convert the AC3 audio on a DVD to a wave file with CD specs (44100 Hz, 16 bit audio stereo) and then record it to a CD. This can be done with freeware utilities.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Feb 21 2012, 09:30 PM)

It was rather annoying that we had to buy both the standard DVD and the Blu-Ray. But it was worth it. The Blu-Ray is amazing - concerts and HD go together like Oreos and milk cool.gif

And Apollo is right, you can make CDs from the DVDs. wink.gif

My copy of R:30 is very unique. I had the non-deluxe dvd before I knew there were multiple releases, so I purchased the deluxe dvd set off Amazon and there was a mistake comp26.gif and I only received the cds from the deluxe set. So I have a custom deluxe R:30, minus the booklet and guitar picks.

Just got my R30 Deluxe set in the mail. I'm about halfway through the opening overture. This is so badass! And I kind of already think it blows away the Rush in Rio DVD set. This just looks and sounds so much better, so far.

I am totally digging this...