Downton Abbey

librarian

I heard Downton mentioned on the Golden Globes and since I recognized Hugh Bonneville from Notting Hill (loved him in that) I decided to watch a few episodes via Amazon Prime...

I love it!

Great acting, great storylines. A lot of fun to watch. smile.gif

Got the Series 1 and 2 DVD's for my Mum for Christmas...got hooked and ended up watching the whole thing.

QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ Jan 23 2012, 07:09 PM)
Missed the start of this season, PBS should have it up on their site I hope.

They do - a 2 hour premiere. I watched it last night.

I am enraptured by this show...I've become a serious Anglophile. I know, I know, it's a pretty British soap opera...but I LOVE IT.

Favorite characters?

I love Anna. I love Bates. I love that Anna and Bates are in love.

I love the Dowager Countess - Maggie Smith is fantastic, almost everything she says cracks me up.

Lord Grantham is a great man - almost too nice.

Also really like Carson the butler and Mrs. Hughes.

O'Brien has got some real social problems, hasn't she? and Thomas needs a good swift kick in the ass as well.

Last nigh't episode season 2 #3? Did you watch it last night? So sad. sad.gif poor lambs.

love love love the clothes...

I love this show. I just love it.

Favorite character: John Bates (Brendan Coyle)

http://www.kingslynnonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/brendan_coyle_300.jpghttp://static.whatsontv.co.uk/images/gallery/tvtawards-actor-brendan-1.jpg

Yes please. yes.gif

Note my new DA banner, please. \/ \/ \/

I got both seasons on DVD and am seriously addicted.

QUOTE (librarian @ Feb 29 2012, 12:34 PM)
ooh. That's Bates? wow! wub.gif

Oh, yes. That's him.

Here he is with the guy who plays Branson:

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Brendan+Coyle+Evening+Downton+Abbey+Raising+DcUL8oUMwWil.jpg

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 29 2012, 02:00 PM)
I honestly don't get it... I tried to watch it on Netflix, got about 15 minutes into the first episode and gave up. It was just so dull. I'm not putting you guys down or anything - you like what you like and that's awesome - I just don't get it sad.gif

I guess I'm just dull and boring then. smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 25 2012, 11:49 AM)
Favorite characters?

I love the Dowager Countess - Maggie Smith is fantastic, almost everything she says cracks me up.

Lord Grantham is a great man - almost too nice.

Also really like Carson the butler and Mrs. Hughes.

yes.gif

I also like the 3rd sister - forget her name. I hope they don't write her out of the series. Seems like they could if they wanted to.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 29 2012, 02:12 PM)
I honestly don't get it... I tried to watch it on Netflix, got about 15 minutes into the first episode and gave up. It was just so dull. I'm not putting you guys down or anything - you like what you like and that's awesome - I just don't get it sad.gif

No! I didn't mean it that way... sorry. I was kinda fishing for someone to give me a positive account of the show, to say something like "oh, it gets good after the first half of the premiere episode" or "just give it a shot it'll grow on you because..." or something along those lines.

I didn't mean to insinuate anything.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 29 2012, 08:52 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 29 2012, 02:12 PM)

No! I didn't mean it that way... sorry. I was kinda fishing for someone to give me a positive account of the show, to say something like "oh, it gets good after the first half of the premiere episode" or "just give it a shot it'll grow on you because..." or something along those lines.

I didn't mean to insinuate anything.

Well, maybe if you'd articulated that instead of just the critique, I would've tried to explain.

Hmmm...I love the characters, the interplay between "upstairs" and "downstairs," the innate goodness of the Earl, the pride of purpose the servants show, the sense of community, and yes, the "soap opera" whodunnit, who's sleeping with whom stuff.

Plus, anything sounds good spoken with a British accent. And the clothes are fantastic.

There. What more do you need? laugh.gif

I didn't think I'd like it - it grew on me.

Purchased both seasons for the Library, I don't think I'll see them again for several months!

I would have been huge (sizewise) if I was someone of their status back then, it seems all they did was eat and eat and go to a party and ....eat.

:bump:

Season 3 is on! :cheers:

Okay, I don't know if I'm the only one that feels this way but I really don't like Mary's attitude...when did she turn into her grandmother?