Despite all the obvious reasons not to...

Presto-digitation

QUOTE (goose @ Dec 22 2011, 12:29 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Dec 21 2011, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Dec 21 2011, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 21 2011, 03:11 PM)
^ you must be talking about recent history (in which case, your judgment is profoundly questionable)

but for eight years there ('78-'86) they were absolutely perfect - an unstoppable pinnacle of rock and roll excess that no one could deny (nor have any legitimate reason 'not to' love)

Yes, I mean recent history. Meaning, I didn't want to litter the thread with commentary about the band over the past 20-ish years.

Oh good. In that case...how bout we start with underated tunes?...

Dirty Movies

Great song, with excleent guitar layering.

Presto-Dig, you left this tune out of your classic (bump-worthy) review of Fair Warning. Care to comment on it?

I didn't even realize I had. biggrin.gif I like the song quite well and it really fits the gritty vibe of the album. Love the chorus. Eddie is really an incredible rhythm player, as much attention as he gets for his lead work. That's really on display here. Great transition right into Sinner's Swing too.

As I mentioned in the review, Fair Warning may NOT be their best album when you look at it song-by-song, but it is their best record (to me) when considering the whole...the atmosphere, etc. It has a specific smell and flavor and texture that transcends a mere breakdown of "how is THIS song on its own?"

Man how great is the drum sound on Fair Warning? Big and tubey! tongue.gif

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Dec 21 2011, 11:33 PM)
QUOTE (Scars @ Dec 21 2011, 11:08 PM)
I'm going to come in here, say that 5150 is their best album...

...and then bolt.gif

Best album with Hagar yes.gif

That and F-CK are the 2 good Hagar albums. OU812 is my least favorite VH album of any era. I don't own the Cherone one yet and don't plan on it.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Dec 22 2011, 09:40 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Dec 22 2011, 12:29 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Dec 21 2011, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Dec 21 2011, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 21 2011, 03:11 PM)
^ you must be talking about recent history (in which case, your judgment is profoundly questionable)

but for eight years there ('78-'86) they were absolutely perfect - an unstoppable pinnacle of rock and roll excess that no one could deny (nor have any legitimate reason 'not to' love)

Yes, I mean recent history. Meaning, I didn't want to litter the thread with commentary about the band over the past 20-ish years.

Oh good. In that case...how bout we start with underated tunes?...

Dirty Movies

Great song, with excleent guitar layering.

Presto-Dig, you left this tune out of your classic (bump-worthy) review of Fair Warning. Care to comment on it?

I didn't even realize I had. biggrin.gif I like the song quite well and it really fits the gritty vibe of the album. Love the chorus. Eddie is really an incredible rhythm player, as much attention as he gets for his lead work. That's really on display here. Great transition right into Sinner's Swing too.

As I mentioned in the review, Fair Warning may NOT be their best album when you look at it song-by-song, but it is their best record (to me) when considering the whole...the atmosphere, etc. It has a specific smell and flavor and texture that transcends a mere breakdown of "how is THIS song on its own?"

Man how great is the drum sound on Fair Warning? Big and tubey! tongue.gif

applaudit.gif

Thanks! The word "texture" sums it up well. Absolutely brilliant work in that respect, and FW as a collection is much greater than any one of its parts.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Dec 21 2011, 08:07 PM)
...I love this band:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/394565_2223101110252_1629469039_1689303_1218506272_n.jpg

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Great pic! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif