Christmas gifts for an 18 year old?

Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Dec 11 2011, 05:15 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Dec 11 2011, 10:23 AM)
Since he wants an iTunes gift card, I suggest getting him a CD or two of his favorite band(s). Personally I would think it's much more thoughtful and I always enjoy having a hard copy over digital downloads any day.

goodpost.gif

+2 goodpost.gif

I had a bad experience with digital downloads that I vowed to always buy hard and physical copies of albums if they are still available and in print ever since. One time I downloaded an album on iTunes and the thing got corrupted and the files were practically useless and unlistenable. I can easily bought a hard physical CD for the same amount and won't have to worry about it getting screwed up at all.

I would never entrust someone else, especially parents, with musical selection for me (and, in return, unless there's a release that i KNOW somebody actively wants, i will never buy music as a gift for anyone else). When buying music for someone else, there are tons of factors to consider -- what do they already have? what do they actually want? Just buying them something by "one of their favorite bands" isn't saying much. So you know who their favorite bands are -- congratulations, you probably just bought them a CD they already have.

The best route to take would be an amazon gift card if you ask me.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Dec 16 2011, 11:02 PM)
I would never entrust someone else, especially parents, with musical selection for me (and, in return, unless there's a release that i KNOW somebody actively wants, i will never buy music as a gift for anyone else). When buying music for someone else, there are tons of factors to consider -- what do they already have? what do they actually want? Just buying them something by "one of their favorite bands" isn't saying much. So you know who their favorite bands are -- congratulations, you probably just bought them a CD they already have.

That's why you ask them (or their parents) what they want! doh.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Dec 17 2011, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Dec 16 2011, 11:02 PM)
I would never entrust someone else, especially parents, with musical selection for me (and, in return, unless there's a release that i KNOW somebody actively wants, i will never buy music as a gift for anyone else).  When buying music for someone else, there are tons of factors to consider -- what do they already have?  what do they actually want?  Just buying them something by "one of their favorite bands" isn't saying much.  So you know who their favorite bands are -- congratulations, you probably just  bought them a CD they already have.

That's why you ask them (or their parents) what they want! doh.gif

Even asking parents what you want doesn't work.....at least for me.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Dec 14 2011, 10:17 PM)
I had a bad experience with digital downloads that I vowed to always buy hard and physical copies of albums if they are still available and in print ever since. One time I downloaded an album on iTunes and the thing got corrupted and the files were practically useless and unlistenable. I can easily bought a hard physical CD for the same amount and won't have to worry about it getting screwed up at all.

If your digital files get screwed up you can usually download them again as many times as you want, you certainly can through iTunes, and I think Amazon. Can't say the same if your CD stops working.