New Geddy Interview

Something4Nothing

QUOTE (eshine @ Dec 8 2011, 02:37 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Dec 6 2011, 09:33 PM)
but honestly at this point I personally think he should consider dropping the key of even stuff like Moving Pictures. He's clearly struggling to sing all of that stuff.

Give me a break.

Fast forward to 1:45. Sorry, he sounds like complete garbage there. Serious strain in his voice. That sounds good to you? I'm a big Rush fan, but I'm not delusional and won't pretend he can sing these songs well anymore. He can't, so dropping the key is a very good idea. No shame in doing it.

QUOTE (eshine @ Dec 8 2011, 01:34 AM)
And I love the fact that he recognizes they have become too reliant on multi-tracking.

Cant believe we are so lucky to be anticipating brand new Rush and a tour in 2012. Who would have thought...

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Dec 8 2011, 09:15 AM)
but honestly at this point I personally think he should consider dropping the key of even stuff like Moving Pictures. He's clearly struggling to sing all of that stuff.

Give me a break.

Fast forward to 1:45. Sorry, he sounds like complete garbage there. Serious strain in his voice. That sounds good to you? I'm a big Rush fan, but I'm not delusional and won't pretend he can sing these songs well anymore. He can't, so dropping the key is a very good idea. No shame in doing it.

Garbage?? Seriously?

If this is what you consider bad singing by Geddy then I rest my case.

He sounds fine there. Absolutely fine, in fact - he sounds like... Geddy Lee singing Red Barchetta - totally in key and hitting the notes.

You are absolutely wrong.

I say bring on 2112 in 2012 - a current treatment of Something for Nothing and Sweet Memories would be worth the price of admission - and no, I wouldn't care if they downtuned those songs or if Ged sang them with a bit of strain in his 58 year old voice.

It's rock and roll, not the opera.

Edited by eshine

QUOTE (presto123 @ Dec 8 2011, 09:03 AM)
I would be less than thrilled about full 2112. I've already seen that before.

Yea me 2

But how about side 2 of the 2112 album, I would like to hear those 5 songs

1022.gif

QUOTE (GotRush @ Dec 8 2011, 02:52 PM)

Yea me 2

1022.gif

Can you imagine Geddy trying to sing Lessons and Something For Nothing? Ouch!

Give me a break.

Oh please... yes maybe he is shrieking a little there but honestly to call that garbage seems absurd to me. He still hit the top note fine and no way is he out of tune - unlike many many other rock singers, some of them half his age. I think if you heard that while you were at the show you would have barely noticed any strain at all. I know I'd be too busy enjoying the music and the energy of the band to go nitpicking about the odd vocal strain here and there. If it really bothers you that much then just don't go in the future but all I can say is you'll be missing out!

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ Dec 8 2011, 04:06 PM)

Give me a break.

Oh please... yes maybe he is shrieking a little there but honestly to call that garbage seems absurd to me. He still hit the top note fine and no way is he out of tune - unlike many many other rock singers, some of them half his age. I think if you heard that while you were at the show you would have barely noticed any strain at all. I know I'd be too busy enjoying the music and the energy of the band to go nitpicking about the odd vocal strain here and there. If it really bothers you that much then just don't go in the future but all I can say is you'll be missing out!

This, as an example, was not good. He sounds okay in this clip, at that referenced time. Not stellar, not as good as he was in the early 2000's, but it's not garbage and not something I'd turn down tickets to see.

Having said that... there were other stops on the TM tour when he sounded much, much worse than that.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Dec 8 2011, 04:42 PM)
QUOTE (GotRush @ Dec 8 2011, 02:52 PM)

Yea me 2

1022.gif

Can you imagine Geddy trying to sing Lessons and Something For Nothing? Ouch!

Yes, with the proper modifications (i.e. Circumstances from S&A tour) he would sound fine.

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Dec 8 2011, 06:28 PM)

Good for you.

If they are going to do a special full album side tour they should absolutely do something they haven't done before. If they have done it before it wouldn't be as special would it?

my practical guess is Signals if they do. Not too high on the vocals, great record all around, and came out 1982

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Dec 8 2011, 07:39 PM)
my practical guess is Signals if they do. Not too high on the vocals, great record all around, and came out 1982

That would be awesome if they could find a way to do the violin solo in Losing It. Come to think of it I'm sure Alex could get a guitar synth patch of violin and play something close. I would love to hear Chemistry and The Weapon 2.gif

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ Dec 8 2011, 05:06 PM)

Give me a break.

Ive said many times before that what he sounds like live at this point doesnt matter to ME, personally.

But Im still able to recognize that he sound really bad singing anything even remotely high. And I've seen enough posts on this board and other boards to know that people are talking about his poor vocal quality these days.

So all Im saying is drop the key in anything he cant hit comfortably. Even stuff on MP he is really struggling with. If they dropped the key of Red Barchetta and he didnt sound like he does in that vid I posted, there would be less complaints about it, that's all I was saying.

He sounded awful in that video I posted. And older guy clearly struggling to sound like he did when he was in his late 20's, and that's never fun to watch. He's an old man now, let's just face it. So if they are going to keep trying to tour for a few more years, make it the best it can be, and I really believe dropping keys is the path to that for the singer. He sounds like he is just dying out there. Hitting the note while completely straining isnt the best way to go in my opinion. Hit it in your comfortable range and you'll just sound better.

QUOTE (trenken @ Dec 8 2011, 09:24 PM)
QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ Dec 8 2011, 05:06 PM)

Give me a break.

Ive said many times before that what he sounds like live at this point doesnt matter to ME, personally.

But Im still able to recognize that he sound really bad singing anything even remotely high. And I've seen enough posts on this board and other boards to know that people are talking about his poor vocal quality these days.

So all Im saying is drop the key in anything he cant hit comfortably. Even stuff on MP he is really struggling with. If they dropped the key of Red Barchetta and he didnt sound like he does in that vid I posted, there would be less complaints about it, that's all I was saying.

He sounded awful in that video I posted. And older guy clearly struggling to sound like he did when he was in his late 20's, and that's never fun to watch. He's an old man now, let's just face it. So if they are going to keep trying to tour for a few more years, make it the best it can be, and I really believe dropping keys is the path to that for the singer. He sounds like he is just dying out there. Hitting the note while completely straining isnt the best way to go in my opinion. Hit it in your comfortable range and you'll just sound better.

*sigh

Dude - He sounds totally fine in that clip in fact, he sounds pretty kick ass and is belting it.

Good greif.

QUOTE (eshine @ Dec 8 2011, 12:32 PM)

Give me a break.

Garbage?? Seriously?

He sounds fine there. Absolutely fine, in fact - he sounds like... Geddy Lee singing Red Barchetta - totally in key and hitting the notes.

I say bring on 2112 in 2012 - a current treatment of Something for Nothing and Sweet Memories would be worth the price of admission - and no, I wouldn't care if they downtuned those songs or if Ged sang them with a bit of strain in his 58 year old voice.

That clip wasn't the best example of him struggling live lately.....but he certainly doesn't sound great in it either. If you look around You Tube, there are tons of videos from the TM tour that prove it. You just refuse to believe the reality...

Edited by WCFIELDS

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Dec 8 2011, 11:06 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Dec 8 2011, 12:32 PM)

Give me a break.

Garbage?? Seriously?

That clip wasn't the best example of him struggling live lately.....but he certainly doesn't sound great in it either. If you look around You Tube, there are tons of videos from the TM tour that prove it. You just refuse to believe the reality...

Does yet another thread need to be hi-jacked by the Ged bashers???

Yeah - Ive seen a few clips of Ged struggling here and there - and plenty more of him sounding kick ass, so whats your point?

The guy is 58 years old and each and every one of his performances are now recorded and broadcast so fanbois can pick him apart. No - they are not all going to be perfect. I accept that reality and could give a sh*t if you think I'm dellusional.

I'm on the side of applauding and commending him for what he is still able to accomplish - it's far more joyfull then continually bashing him.