Time Machine DVD Review

Dagger

I bought the DVD version (non Blu Ray) from Best Buy, in the store, on sale, for $14.99 plus tax. The set list is awesome in my opinion, but I'm biased anyway. They could play whatever they want! Haha. The audio is great, and I haven't noticed any glitches with the video as I've read in other threads. They all seem to have a really good time performing for us fans at this venue. I really liked how Mr. Geddy 'indulges' on 'Leave That Thing Alone' and the 'attitude' you see on Mr. Neil's face after the jam session in 'Freewill'. Just awesome! My subwoofer really gets a workout on this DVD, and as mentioned before, the audio quality may be better than the S & A DVD, but I'm still comparing. I just wish we could get this audio quality on ALL their CD's. Don't know if the 'Mr.'s' read this stuff, but if they do, thanks for a great concert! I really do 'get it', eh!?

Personally I love it. I have a few gripes with the blue lights and how they looked on the DVD, but maybe that's just me personally. I had seen a complaint about "Reversed shots" from somebody, and I will say I did see ONE and only ONE, and I wouldn't say it killed me to see it.

I have to say that the showmansship that they gave in the DVD was extraordinary. By far, this has to be one of my favorites, not to mention it had an amazing setlist, and they all gave each song a bit of their own flavor.

All in all I'd be lying to myself if I didn't give it a 5/5 for it

Though I would have still loved to have had "I Still Love You Man" at the end, or at least the 80's version of Spirit of the Radio, although the Tom Sawyer music video in the extras gave me a kick.

I received my copy of the Time Machine DVD yesterday from Amazon. I could've gotten the blu-ray but what the hey. I got to see them for the first time with my pops (also his first) when they played at the YUM Center in Louisville and they rocked out loud!

I like the DVD I'm glad all the songs are there and the funny videos cause my dad and I both enjoy seeing them be silly and making jokes. It was cool to see outtakes from the videos as bonuses. Also seeing the complete Tom Sawyer video with the changing people was fun to see. I guess I'm not as nitpicky or I don't keep a close watch as to edits and what not, but I thought it was a good sounding DVD and it looked nice and it's a nice sort of memento from that tour. I will probably be getting Neil's DVDs for X-mas as I blew most of my B-Day (Oct 28) money on other stuff. I did see his DVDs at the GC along with the Work in Progress and Anatomy (I do own that one) and the Buddy Rich Memorial shows with Neil. Overall I'm satisfied with the DVD and glad to have it! biggrin.gif

The blu-ray is good, picture, sound, filming,and performance. I am just bored with these songs : Leave that thing alone, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Faithless, Subdivisions, Vital Signs... no.gif

Ordered it the day before yesterday ... can't wait to get it...

Just ... is Marathon as great as it was?

And ... I can't get bored with Subdivisions or Vital Signs. no way.

Faithless, Caravan, BU2B, that's another story - but maybe they'll drop these for the next tour (although I don't really believe it in Caravan's case).

And: Bring Back Red Sector A next time ...

Edited by barchetta90480

QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Nov 10 2011, 04:21 PM)
Faithless, Caravan, BU2B, that's another story - but maybe they'll drop these for the next tour (although I don't really believe it in Caravan's case).

Are you kidding. Caravan and BU2B are two of the best songs on the DVD IMO. The energy is off the charts. To each his own I guess. It's songs like Tom Sawyer and Limelight that I skip through.

my problem with tom sawyer and limelight is that he doesnt try to sing them like the album, he sings them the same way everytime. Listen to how he does them on the actual moving pictures tour. specially limelight. he sings it like the album.. after that tour. he started singing it too fast and diffrent..

Just watched the BR tonight. The sound is stellar. The picture... well, BR was created for this and shows concert footage at its very best. I didn't note any sync problems as others have. Maybe it's the way Hubby has it routed through the stereo (he IS a TV engineer, after all). Our subwoofer got a workout, too wink.gif

I loved seeing the songs that has been cut for the VH1 show, as some of them a among my very favorites. The extras... well, they could have added a lot more and another disc but we probably would've had to wait even longer. The outtakes were, as I suspected, hilarious but too short - I was just getting warmed up! I loved the Tom Sawyer with different "Rush" members (the cavemen are my favorites; Alex gnawing on the guitar is priceless!) and the old footage was properly nostalgic. Ah, the early 70s.....

Very, very happy with this show disc. wub.gif

QUOTE (chemistry @ Nov 12 2011, 11:31 PM)
I know I'm gonna catch he'll,but I'm sick of the entire moving pics album except camera eye and studio version of vital signs! Personally, permanent waves is a much better disc. Even signals 30th anniversaries coming up!!!,

yes.gif

They have been playing Tom Sawyer, YYZ, Limelight for too long. I would have prefer to hear PW or AFTK, but it's too late.

All Ged's aging vocal issues aside, which dont really bother me a lot anyway, I just watched Caravan and amazed at how these guys still blow me away...

QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 10 2011, 11:06 PM)

Are you kidding. Caravan and BU2B are two of the best songs on the DVD IMO. The energy is off the charts. To each his own I guess. It's songs like Tom Sawyer and Limelight that I skip through.

Got the DVD. Probably their best since Rio. And I even dig BU2B and Faithless. Still hate Caravan more than Dog Years, but I can do with one stinker in the setlist - especially as so many here seem to thinnk differently about that song. And I'm not too fond of Limelight as well, but it's a staple.

Great setlist, Great DVD! Great concert!

Next time - GUP in full length ... Please ...

Edited by barchetta90480

QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Nov 13 2011, 04:05 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 10 2011, 11:06 PM)

Got the DVD. Probably their best since Rio. And I even dig BU2B and Faithless. Still hate Caravan more than Dog Years, but I van do with one stinker in the setlist. Great DVD! Great concert!

I don't think Caravan was that good live. There are too many layered guitars in the chorus on the studio version. The chrous sounds a bit thin they way Alex plays it live.

I liked Caravan and I downloaded the single when it came out from itunes. I watched it with my dad who went with me to see Rush on this tour and as we were watching he said "What's the name of that song they're playing?" and I said Faithless. He said "I'll have to download that." I kinda like it but I was really glad to hear Marathon as I understand it was a quite a while that had been off the setlists.

QUOTE (reani14 @ Nov 13 2011, 06:05 PM)
Limelight gets worse every tour.. The best live versions of limelight are on the 81 moving pictures tour. My fav is the exit stage left version..

EXACTLY Free Will also only on the ESL video especially the shreek," A Cell Of Awarness

Edited by chemistry

Hey!

Great forum, I've been lurking for a while here wink.gif

Im curious how you guys in the states are getting the Blu-ray so soon? When I look on Amazon it says no release until December 20th? Walmart and Best buy show the same but several guys here seem to have it?

Thank and thanks for the forum

QUOTE (Vap0r @ Nov 15 2011, 01:43 AM)
Hey!
Im curious how you guys in the states are getting the Blu-ray so soon? When I look on Amazon it says no release until December 20th? Walmart and Best buy show the same but several guys here seem to have it?

QUOTE (Vap0r @ Nov 15 2011, 01:43 AM)
Hey!

Welcome to TRF! bekloppt.gif Best Buy also has exclusive rights to sell it before Dec. 20th (in U.S. stores and website, anyway).

QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 10 2011, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (shail @ Nov 10 2011, 05:32 PM)
have the blue ray. it's great. audio is amazing. by far the best sounding dvd since ESL. blue ray is the only way to go. the picture quality is worth the extra cash.

ESL was a studio record rofl3.gif

WHAT? esl was a live album and dvd! wacko.gif