Anyone get TM blu ray early??

reani14

You've already said it's going to suck. Why do you keep asking? I'm not saying I agree with you , but if you've made up your mind, why do you keep asking for other people to agree or disagree with you?

QUOTE (reani14 @ Jun 10 2011, 02:04 PM)
Man, does geddy sound terrible  on freewill, hope they touch his vocals up a bit before the dvd comes out.. Go ahead blast me. who cares. the fact is that geddy isnt good live vocally anymore . and this dvd will prove it unless they fix the bad spots.. facts are facts..

QUOTE (reani14 @ Jun 14 2011, 11:17 PM)
yeah time stand still doesnt hold up on this tour well..

QUOTE (Tony R @ Nov 7 2011, 03:13 PM)
My mate got the Blu Ray today and reckons the picture quality is average and the sound is crap.

I find that exremely hard to believe. I've had the official audio for over a week now and it sounds awesome! The Blu Ray can only sound better.

QUOTE (jonboy71 @ Nov 7 2011, 03:47 PM)
My mate got the Blu Ray today and reckons the picture quality is average and the sound is crap.

I find that exremely hard to believe. I've had the official audio for over a week now and it sounds awesome! The Blu Ray can only sound better.

That's Tony R posting. Gotta take everything with a grain of salt:)

QUOTE (jonboy71 @ Nov 7 2011, 08:47 PM)

Well I haven't heard it myself but I can assure you that is exactly what he said. I'm not making it up.

Drums often inaudible, the lower registers of the bass absent, tSOR sounding "odd" same with parts of Marathon. Grainy picture, long shots blurred and the camera trained on Geddy Lee not seeming to be HD.

Apart from that, he reported that TCE was "very good".

QUOTE (Tony R @ Nov 7 2011, 04:22 PM)
QUOTE (reani14 @ Nov 7 2011, 09:19 PM)
wow i cant believe this. it looked great on comcast hd.

Better believe it weanie1.4

I believe that he (tony R) has not yet seen the blu-ray himself, so it's some judgement of someone else that has some special ears... AlienSmiley.gif

I doubt that the sound is crap... If it's the case, Rush are stupid to let that thing out...

To be fair to Tony, he slightly misquoted some of my initial impressions.

A few points. First off, while the film captures the concert well enough, the picture quality is variable. Some shots are crisp with plenty of detail. Some aren't and these seem camera dependent- especially the one on Geddy from his right.

When the lights go down the black is very grainy in comparison to R 30 and snakes and the overall picture quality isn't as sharp as either of those concert films.

My biggest gripe is the audio. Alex's guitar, the keyboards and drums are fine. The kick drum has no prescence and Geds bass, particularly the mid range stuff just disappears at times. You'll see what I mean when you watch marathon - that awesome bass riff simply doesn't cut through, for whatever reason. Overall the mix just seems to lack balls and is a bit too clean from my memory of attending 2 gigs. Second row on one and halfway back on the other.

Don't mean to piss in the chips-Just an opinion on first viewing

QUOTE (reani14 @ Nov 7 2011, 06:03 PM)
quess what we will get on blu ray isn't the same as we seen on com cast broadcast. which looked excellent to me in HD.. so they are 2 diff rent sources??

It's tough to go by the HD picture you see on TV because it's much more compressed than the Blu-ray is. Lots of compression artifacts on TV that you won't see on the disc. That's both good and bad. Good in that the overall picture quality on the BD will be better, but bad in that it will also reveal any disparity between shots, as Sin is alluding to.

Same for audio. Compressed Dolby Digital for TV, and the option to choose the uncompressed audio track on the disc. The higher res audio will sound better overall, but will also reveal any faults the mix might have.

Someone uploaded Marathon from the DVD/CD to youtube. I hope this is not the actual product, it's like they neutered the balls that you normally expect from a live concert. No bass, far too clean.

Here's presto as well from the same user, the very same song so many praised it for having balls it never did in the studio recording:

It seems to have the kick it had in concert. I really hope that this is either fake or the youtube audio is preventing me from hearing the proper sound, otherwise I'm going to download a good bootleg, shove that on my MP3 player and call it TM Tour live in substitute for the official release if this is the case.