Was Rush still considered Heavy Metal in the 80's?

Majestyk

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even as late as 1995, Rush gets the title of "80's headbanger" for "Tom Sawyer" which appears on this album:

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/24c76720621230f52068b87df56fceb5/2448882.jpg

So yes, there is plenty of evidence that Rush was considered metal by many. smile.gif

QUOTE (Majestyk @ Oct 6 2011, 09:57 AM)
^

Am I missing something in there last series of posts?

The pictures are having a hard time posting for some reason.

I can see them all now, but I couldn't when I was posting.

Weird..... confused13.gif

I would definitely categorize them as a pop rock band. Cant even call them hard rock, because there was nothing hard about what they were doing on Signals, GUP, etc...

Vapor Trails was hard rock. Stick it Out on CP was, but they were mostly just doing radio friendly pop rock, even light rock. Some stuff on Presto and RTB could fit right in on any soft rock station.

Its always funny to me when people call them a prog band. They were only prog for like a few years, and it was decades ago. Ridiculous.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Oct 6 2011, 07:52 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 6 2011, 12:21 AM)
Well, they were in the English magazines at least.  Kerrang sure loved them.  I don't think this applied so much in the States.

They were in Every Hard Rock /Metal mag in the states

Creem

Hit Parader

Circus

Rip

They Were Metal at one point yes.gif

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

cool10.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Oct 6 2011, 08:59 AM)
QUOTE (Majestyk @ Oct 6 2011, 09:57 AM)
^

Am I missing something in there last series of posts?

The pictures are having a hard time posting for some reason.

I can see them all now, but I couldn't when I was posting.

Weird..... confused13.gif

For me there's nothing there except what you typed...

confused13.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Oct 6 2011, 10:10 AM)
I would definitely categorize them as a pop rock band. Cant even call them hard rock, because there was nothing hard about what they were doing on Signals, GUP, etc...

Vapor Trails was hard rock. Stick it Out on CP was, but they were mostly just doing radio friendly pop rock, even light rock. Some stuff on Presto and RTB could fit right in on any soft rock station.

Its always funny to me when people call them a prog band. They were only prog for like a few years, and it was decades ago. Ridiculous.

Really, pop rock? I mean sure, Presto and Roll the Bones catered to that genre, but should two albums out of their entire discography earn them the title as a pop rock band? Sure, the stuff they did between Signals and Hold Your Fire wasn't really hard rock, although there are a few examples, with Between the Wheels having a pretty heavy sound besides the chorus. In fact, if you were to remove the keys, that song would definitely be hard rock. I consider most of their songs between that period, in my humble opinion, synth rock which can be a broad sub-genre that could contain many elements, but the center point of it being that synths are prominent in the music.

As for the comment about Stick it Out as being hard rock, it's pretty much borderline grunge. Cold Fire is an example hard rock in the traditional sense, but I will agree that the album Counterparts as a whole marked a return to a hard rock sound. Also, you mentioned that it bothers you Rush has still been called a prog band. I don't know about you, but there are many songs after Moving Pictures that definitely had proggy elements. Mission, for example has a proggy break in the middle of the song. Marathon also has a proggy break. Mystic Rhythms has a very mysterious atmosphere about it, and is definitely progressive. Plus, many songs still had odd time signatures, and the band experimented with various other musical genres, and incorporated it into their rock sound. If that's not progressive, then I don't know what is. And judging by the two new songs, both are the proggiest thing they have done in awhile, so I don't understand why it's ridiculous to call them a prog band. Just because you don't write 20 minute epics that is about mythology, it doesn't mean you can't be complex and have a progressive sound. They've experimented continuously, which that alone should grant them a title of a prog band. They are always changing and re-inventing their sound.

I dunno, though. I might be completely wrong, and maybe I interpret progressive different from most people, but I think it makes sense.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 5 2011, 11:13 PM)
Rush WERE heavy metal up to 1981. They appeared in all the metal magazines of the 70s/early 80s, kids who liked metal bands generally liked Rush and considered them a metal band too. Then with Signals they started going a little new wavey pop in style. I think they brought back the METAL a little bit with Counterparts and have been relatively metallic since then...

That's funny, the mags I read referred to them alternatively as "Art Rock" (the American term for Prog Rock), "Heavy Metal" and "Progressive Rock."

Maybe these things didn't percolate through junior high! tongue.gif

After Signals, I dont know what you'd call them. Shite maybe...

What is it with people and genres? This is coming from a heavy metal fan: Rush is not heavy metal. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

They have some heavy elements sometimes, but they aren't metal. Judas Priest is metal. Iron Maiden is metal. There are elements of their sound and feeling that make them so.

Rush is something different. I'd say they're prog rock, but apparently there are dozens of sub-categories of each semi-different sound now days. I've heard the terms "hardcore" and "metalcore" described genres. I've been lost and angry ever since, lol. It's just unnecessary.

QUOTE (Astromancer @ Oct 6 2011, 04:40 PM)
What is it with people and genres? This is coming from a heavy metal fan: Rush is not heavy metal. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

It's always seemed pretty elementary to me.

Rush has elements of metal that makes them very attractive to metal heads. That does NOT make them metal. no.gif

QUOTE (Astromancer @ Oct 7 2011, 08:40 AM)

heavy metal 

noun

1. any metal with a specific gravity of 5.0 or greater, especially one that is toxic to organisms, as lead, mercury, copper, and cadmium.

2. aggressive and heavily amplified rock music, commonly performed by groups that wear spectacular or bizarre costumes.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/albums/2112-1.jpg

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 6 2011, 11:55 PM)

heavy metal 

noun

1. any metal with a specific gravity of 5.0 or greater, especially one that is toxic to organisms, as lead, mercury, copper, and cadmium.

2. aggressive and heavily amplified rock music, commonly performed by groups that wear spectacular or bizarre costumes.

Those costumes are beyond bizarre!

ohmy.gif laugh.gif

...Ergo RUSH are METAL!

1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 7 2011, 08:07 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 6 2011, 11:55 PM)

heavy metal 

noun

Those costumes are beyond bizarre!

ohmy.gif laugh.gif

...Ergo RUSH are METAL!

1022.gif

Well.., that told me..! biggrin.gif