The Ultimate Star Trek poll:

treeduck

This is pretty self explanatory, who is the MAN (or woman) when it comes to TREK acting...?

Who is the Lawrence Olivier of the TREK TV theatre?

I think I've covered every significant TREK character. I cut Voyager down to five main characters only due to it's lack of popularity (with me and everyone else), to include some others from elsewhere (remember there's only 40 choices maximum).

trink38.gif

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and this poll is restricted to TV, so one-off appearances by Malcolm McDowell, Christopher Plummer, David Warner etc in films don't count. I also didn't include Ricardo Montalban, one guest appearance and one film appearance is not enough to be included.

Obviously there are other significant supporting and reoccurring characters, but I think I got the most significant 40...

Without a doubt, Nimoy.

Oh, and 5 minutes of Ricardo Montalban was a million times better than however many stinking seasons Wil Wheaton was Wesley.

Honorable mention: DeForest "Bones" Kelly...he was believable as the country doctor in space AND he worked well with Shatner and Nimoy.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Oh, man, was this a really tough poll.

I was caught between Auberjonois, Nimoy, Deforest Kelley, and Jeffrey Combs. But I also could've said John de Lancie, Patrick Stewart, Majel Barrett, Brent Spiner (had a really neat guest role in ENT), or any number of actors or actresses.

But in the end I had to go with Combs. He's such an incredibly versatile actor; it's crazy. He played several different Weyouns, Shran (arguably the best guest characters on the show and REALLY FREAKING AWESOME in general), Brunt, and one or two just random aliens that guest-starred. Not to mention he played one of the Ferengi in that really weird ENT episode. laugh.gif

Fabulous actor. He's top-notch! I think if he was ever in a future 'Trek production I would die of happiness.

Edited by CMWriter

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 23 2011, 01:45 AM)
Without a doubt, Nimoy.
Oh, and 5 minutes of Ricardo Montalban was a million times better than however many stinking seasons Wil Wheaton was Wesley.

Honorable mention: DeForest "Bones" Kelly...he was believable as the country doctor in space AND he worked well with Shatner and Nimoy.

I wasn't going to include Wil Wheaton as he was mostly just a helmsman and Sulu was the most significant of the helmsmen. In the end though I included him because of the size of his role overall. Obviously he's not the best actor but it didn't seem to make sense to put in someone like Dwight Schultz as Reg Barclay instead, even though he's a better actor, because his role amounted to just a handful of episodes as a minor character or guest...

I did include John LeLancie because his role and performance as Q was fantastic even though he was only in about eight episodes in three different shows...

I think I'd agree with your choice btw JB...

cool10.gif

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Sep 23 2011, 02:07 AM)
Oh, man, was this a really tough poll.
I was caught between Auberjonois, Nimoy, Deforest Kelley, and Jeffrey Combs. But I also could've said John de Lancie, Patrick Stewart, Majel Barrett, Brent Spiner (had a really neat guest role in ENT), or any number of actors or actresses.

But in the end I had to go with Combs. He's such an incredibly versatile actor; it's crazy. He played several different Weyouns, Shran (arguably the best guest characters on the show and REALLY FREAKING AWESOME in general), Brunt, and one or two just random aliens that guest-starred. Not to mention he played one of the Ferengi in that really weird ENT episode. laugh.gif
Fabulous actor. He's top-notch! I think if he was ever in a future 'Trek production I would die of happiness.

Yeah I really rate that guy too, and I didn't put all his roles in the poll option because there was just too many!!

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 23 2011, 04:09 PM)
Without a doubt, Nimoy.

I did include John LeLancie because his role and performance as Q was fantastic even though he was only in about eight episodes in three different shows...

Yeah, he was good as that condescending cock. yes.gif

btw, was it ever established that this original series character Trelane was a Q? I think it's been mentioned among trekkies before.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/53/STSquireGoth.jpg

Q had moments where he was a lot like Trelane.

I had to vote for Rene. What a list, though! Wow biggrin.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 23 2011, 02:28 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 23 2011, 04:09 PM)
Without a doubt, Nimoy.

Yeah, he was good as that condescending cock. yes.gif

btw, was it ever established that this original series character Trelane was a Q? I think it's been mentioned among trekkies before.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/53/STSquireGoth.jpg

Q had moments where he was a lot like Trelane.

Yeah I think Q was inspired by Trelane and I think it's been mentioned that Trelane was a member of the Q continuum.

Here's what it says on wiki about it:

It is to be noted that the Q character bears more than a passing resemblance to Trelane, the alien encountered in Star Trek episode "The Squire of Gothos". The abilities of Q and Trelane are very similar, a point made explicit in Peter David's novel Q Squared, which (non-canonically) establishes that Trelane is a member of the Q Continuum.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 23 2011, 02:10 AM)
I'm sure Patrick Stewart will get some votes, including mine. His work in the two-part "Chain Of Command" episode is almost enough on its own to put him at the top.

I've just talked to die-hard TOS fan who hates TNG ("it blows") and I asked him this question and even so he reluctantly admitted that Patrick Stewart was the pick.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 23 2011, 07:10 AM)
I'm sure Patrick Stewart will get some votes, including mine. His work in the two-part "Chain Of Command" episode is almost enough on its own to put him at the top.

I agree. And I'll throw Family, The Inner Light and Darmok in there as well smile.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 23 2011, 02:45 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Sep 23 2011, 02:33 AM)
I had to vote for Rene. What a list, though! Wow biggrin.gif

I notice Rene made a guest appearance in Enterprise as a scientist trapped on an uninhabited planet after a crash.

Yup. It was actually more like DS9's "Shadowplay" (2x16) than anything else (which is one of my favourites from early-ish DS9). That ENT episode was "Oasis" (1x20).

I actually voted for Nana Visitor.

Having met about 75% of these actors, I can tell you she is least like her character. For example, if you meet Robert Picardo or Robert Duncan MacNeill, you note quickly that they are essentially the same as their characters. There's not much acting. They're just being themselves.

She is 180 degrees away from Major Kira. So I think she does the most acting. Marina Sirtis is nothing like Troi, either.

JMHO

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Sep 23 2011, 12:51 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 23 2011, 02:45 AM)
Without a doubt, Nimoy.

yes.gif

Gets a slight edge over Shatner.

+1

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 23 2011, 06:52 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 23 2011, 12:46 PM)
I've put in for Patrick Stewart.

(Can't explain it, but I can't stand Will Wheaton...)

Wesley Crusher was a hated character when TNG came out in 1987 so it's not unusual...

Couldn't stand him, either...

I voted spock..He made the show work,

with the pointed ears and intellectual/

scientific aptitude....

QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 23 2011, 01:43 PM)

Wesley Crusher was a hated character when TNG came out in 1987 so it's not unusual...

Errr Wil Wheaton is the guy who played Wesley Crusher! It's the same guy! laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 23 2011, 08:21 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 23 2011, 01:43 PM)

Errr Wil Wheaton is the guy who played Wesley Crusher! It's the same guy! laugh.gif

I know - I just can't stand him! tongue.gif