How Do Dumble Amps Rate?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. How Do Dumble Amps Rate?

• Best Amps Ever - I would sell my child to pay for one
    • Best Amps Ever - But I would not pay ,000 for one
    • Great Amps - But the Dumble clones are catching up
    • Great Amps - But The Dumble clones have caught or passed them
    • Good Amps - But nothing special
    • Good Amps - But I could play a gig with a Peavey Bandit and no one would know the difference

I don't think I've seen any discussion here in MMM about these amps. I first heard of them back in 2008 when I was getting into SRV. Other players/devotees are Robben Ford, John Mayer, Larry Carlton, Al DiMeola, and Carlos Santana.

These amps tend to be a polarizing force in gear discussion. I'm hoping some of our members have some experience with them in some way. As it is, with their costs and rarity, I will likely never own one, or even get a chance to play through one. The closest I ever came to one was looking at Robben Ford's rig before one of his shows, and then listening to him play through it for 90 minutes in a small venue.

So, what are your thoughts on this?

Here's a clip of a Dumble Overdrive Deluxe. I about got laughed out of another forum for joking that my Mesa Boogie Lonestar sounded just as good. I told them I was just kidding, but that seriously, my Blues Jr. sounded even better.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 27 2011, 01:21 PM)
Best Amps Ever - But I would not pay ,000 for one

Is that a typo? How much are these amps going for?

I know John Mayer bought one for a boatload of money a few years back. I can't remember the exact number but I remember it being much more than my car. I saw one on the net owned by a guy named Henry Kaiser that was selling for 40k. I remember Joe Bonamassa's dad telling me about one that he saw at a trade show that was close to that as well and I was amazed that an amp would be that much. Santana used one and so did SRV (I think). My guess is that they cost this much because there are only a limited number of them out there and Dumble isn't making them anymore. They do sound good...40K good? I'm not sure.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Sep 29 2011, 09:11 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 27 2011, 01:21 PM)
Best Amps Ever - But I would not pay ,000 for one

Is that a typo? How much are these amps going for?

I know John Mayer bought one for a boatload of money a few years back. I can't remember the exact number but I remember it being much more than my car. I saw one on the net owned by a guy named Henry Kaiser that was selling for 40k. I remember Joe Bonamassa's dad telling me about one that he saw at a trade show that was close to that as well and I was amazed that an amp would be that much. Santana used one and so did SRV (I think). My guess is that they cost this much because there are only a limited number of them out there and Dumble isn't making them anymore. They do sound good...40K good? I'm not sure.

I've heard 55k-80k.

I'll have to post the link to Henry Kaiser demonstrating his Dumble amp, with Dumble himself providing backing guitars. It is a crying shame what Kaiser calls music.

I think they are great amps, but I don't know that I would ever pay that one for one, even if I could easily afford it.

SRV played a Steel String Singer model. Robben Ford plays and Overdrive Special. I sat in a small venue and listened to him play that amp for 90 minutes. He sounded good, but I couldn't say he sounded the best of anyone I've heard.

I think because there are so few, and Dumble has an eccentric and controversial reputation, and because of the few players who have used them, there is a cult following that has built up a mystique about the amps. That accounts for the price.

Players who use them, like Ford, say that there is just a little something extra in the tone (maybe the response/feel) that other amps just can't capture. At that point, it's all in the ears and hands of the individual.

Even Joe Bonamassa, who plays a Twinkleland and a signature Carol Ann, won't say he can match what a Dumble does. The Twinkleland is "almost there, but not quite."

The Henry Kaiser stuff never ceases to make me laugh out loud.

The Dumb** amps (based off a black face Fender twin Reverb) are fabulous> He was the one of the first boutique amp builder to make custom designs for his clients in the late 70s -80s. The amps back in those days were 10-20K $.

Now Ebay prices push the limited #.... to exotic sportcar territory.

However.. there are very worthy clones out there...

Check out Ceriatone.com. Two Rock Amps, Bludotone and Fuchs to name a few.

Pedals that make a Dumb** tone? The Zen Drive (Played by Robben Ford for a long while)

The Wampler Ecstasy and the Ethos Overdrive (ka-ching!)

QUOTE (filmix2 @ Sep 29 2011, 11:22 PM)
The Henry Kaiser stuff never ceases to make me laugh out loud.

The Dumb** amps (based off a black face Fender twin Reverb) are fabulous> He was the one of the first boutique amp builder to make custom designs for his clients in the late 70s -80s. The amps back in those days were 10-20K $.

Now Ebay prices push the limited #.... to exotic sportcar territory.

However.. there are very worthy clones out there...

Check out Ceriatone.com. Two Rock Amps, Bludotone and Fuchs to name a few.

Pedals that make a Dumb** tone? The Zen Drive (Played by Robben Ford for a long while)

The Wampler Ecstasy and the Ethos Overdrive (ka-ching!)

Are you not allowed to type the word "Dumble" for some reason? Is that like saying "Beetlejuice" in the amp world? tongue.gif

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Sep 29 2011, 10:45 PM)
I think he is drawing attention to the first four letters - Dumb.

laugh.gif

I can find any of those Henry Kaiser videos on YouTube where the sound works! It's probably for the best, though.

tongue.gif

Those Kaiser clips are something. The first time I heard him the link said something along the lines of the greatest sounding amps ever. I listened and thought there was something wrong with my speakers.

Stevie Ray used a handful of Dumbles when he was alive in conjunction with Fenders, Marshalls, Leslies and even some Webbs (Webb was near me in Antioch, Ca until he passed a few years ago) among others. I was lucky enough to have seen SRV 4 times and I never saw him with less than 11 amps on stage.

I would think that the Webbs would be more valuable personally. I have never heard a Dumble up close and personal. No guitar amp is worth in the tens of thousands. For that kind of money I would sooner get a Fairchild compressor.

When I was buying my last drum kit I was torn between a $1200 and $4000 dollar kit made by the same manufacturer. My buddy who works at GC said this to me; "Sure the more expensive one sounds a little better. Does it sound $2500 better?" If you can't make a Fender amp sound great why spend that much more.

Gear is ridiculous. It ain't the gear, it's the player.