Battlefield 3

Battlefield 3 is being released soon, I don't know about you, but this game looks absolutely amazing to me and I cannot wait to get my hands on it.

I think BF3 has the potential to become the greatest FPS game to date, it has it all, fantastic physics (buildings blowing up, bullet trajectory, etc.), the graphics are ridiculously detailed, and the 64 person multiplayer is intense and keeps you coming back for more.

I should say I don't have a pc capable of playing BF3, so I will have to settle for the xbox 360 version, but still I cannot wait for this game.

Is anyone else as excited about it as me, what are your thoughts and opinions?

Yup! Definitely excited for BF3. Preordered it at Gamestop in June. I've been playing the Battlefield series ever since the first game was released. Recently picked up Bad Company 1 + 2 on PS3 since I already have them on my PC. It's definitely got competition though, seeing as how MW3 comes out a week later.

From the screenshots and gameplay I've seen thus far, my thoughts on the Frostbite engine have proven to be true. I can't imagine how any developer would overlook Frostbite. If BF3 is anything like the two Bad Company games, it'll be a hit.

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Aug 16 2011, 04:24 PM)
It looks really cool, but I'm looking forward to other games like Arkham City, Twisted Metal, and Uncharted 3 more than Battlefield 3.

Uncharted looks great but only on PS3 soooooo I won't be playing it, but BF3 is number one on my list for sure

QUOTE (Dobner has assumed control @ Aug 16 2011, 08:52 PM)
It looks really cool, but I'm looking forward to other games like Arkham City, Twisted Metal, and Uncharted 3 more than Battlefield 3.

Uncharted looks great but only on PS3 soooooo I won't be playing it, but BF3 is number one on my list for sure

Understandable. The reason BF3 is at the end of my list is because it's FPS. I have too much FPS and need more games with variety, if you know what I mean. There are too many epic games coming out these next couple of months, and if that weren't the case, I'd pick up BF3 in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Aug 16 2011, 09:10 PM)

Understandable. The reason BF3 is at the end of my list is because it's FPS. I have too much FPS and need more games with variety, if you know what I mean. There are too many epic games coming out these next couple of months, and if that weren't the case, I'd pick up BF3 in a heartbeat.

I know what you mean, I want to get it because I think this will be the top FPS for a couple years down the line. The only other good game I know of coming out for 360 is the Batman sequel. Well, if you don't count sports games then yea Batman is the only other good game I know of.

QUOTE (Dobner has assumed control @ Aug 17 2011, 11:02 AM)

I know what you mean, I want to get it because I think this will be the top FPS for a couple years down the line. The only other good game I know of coming out for 360 is the Batman sequel. Well, if you don't count sports games then yea Batman is the only other good game I know of.

Well, there's also Gears of War 3 if you're into that series. wink.gif

QUOTE (Oracle @ Aug 17 2011, 09:54 PM)
QUOTE (Dobner has assumed control @ Aug 17 2011, 11:02 AM)

Well, there's also Gears of War 3 if you're into that series. wink.gif

oh yea i forgot about that, I might rent that one

I am interested in BF3 and with the beta out now, the reviews seem to be pretty positive. I was a long time and enthusiastic CoD/United Offensive player, if there were decent servers loaded with people now I would still be playing it. Ever since then, the genre, IMO has been a real letdown in many ways that i will not go into but if you are a gamer you know the issues. I played Modern Warfare 2 a while and thought it was ok. Fun run and gun, but the cheating etc was a bit too much. What really made me quit that game was the weekly logging on to a random server and my game is hacked. I got really tired of having to repair/reset what achievements I had made.

I considered Red Orchestra 2 recently, but it appears that game is not ready to play yet, 10,000 people on servers to 4000 people on servers 2 weeks after release is a good sign that the game was rushed.

Here is hoping BF3 is a fun shooter.

Maybe a Rush forum squad sometime?

Well, I played the Beta, is it a good game? Hmm I guess but really it just seems more of the same. It looks pretty, I was able to run it on ultra settings with no problems. I7, 5850 6 gig

One of the things that really bothered me, was the sound. You would think that you would hear a team mate 20 feet away clamoring over an object in fully loaded gear, but really there is nothing, just back ground noise and some shuffling. You cannot tell where the sound is coming from. The reason this really bothers me is that 10 years, heck 15 years ago, you had games with much better directional sound. CoD UO was pretty good at it too.

Another thing that I did not really like was the kill video, that you get when you die. It flashed a map of your location, but the video of your killer was very poor, most of the time it is just a closeup of a face and from time to time a view from the inside of their body. There was really no indication at all of the manner of the kill, although sometimes you see the gun fire but you never see it from the shooters perspective. If you insist on showing a kill video to delay a spawn, well, why not give me some information. Otherwise it is just eye-candy and not great candy at that.

There were a few bugs here and there, some objects that should be solid were really not, for example, a shooter behind a metal trash dumpster. I was prone, I could see the top inch of my opponents helmet. I fire at that, the opponent fires back. In the kill video his gun was aimed inside the dumpster.

I think I had my hopes a bit high for this game, it is almost 2012 dammit and this feels like it could have been made in 2006. Did I say it was pretty, why yes it is. I am going to go into old codger mode for a moment and say, this game just has too many weapons and gadgets, is it really all needed to sell a game these days? Sooooooo..... many choices and skill ups, hey just like the rest of the shooters since 2006, you know, the ones that all have empty servers a year after they are introduced.

That is my brief review, I could say a lot more, some positive, but it comes down to the question, am i going to spend the money on this game... probably not. sigh

I liked the Beta. I already expected these bugs anyway since they were reported after the closed beta ended. I'm still excited for the campaign.

Tried the beta and it's ok but I am more used to playing military simulations for the PC like Armed Assault II Operation Arrowhead. It has tanks, planes, choppers, etc. and bigger maps than BF3. BF3 is mostly a run and gun type game, and anyway I like playing more against the AI in ArmaII because the AI don't cheat or try to run hacks like real players do. lol I doubt if I buy this one, I'll just wait for ArmaIII to come out. BF3 is ok to mess around with though for fun.

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Oct 7 2011, 10:52 PM)
Tried the beta and it's ok but I am more used to playing military simulations for the PC like Armed Assault II Operation Arrowhead. It has tanks, planes, choppers, etc. and bigger maps than BF3. BF3 is mostly a run and gun type game, and anyway I like playing more against the AI in ArmaII because the AI don't cheat or try to run hacks like real players do. lol I doubt if I buy this one, I'll just wait for ArmaIII to come out. BF3 is ok to mess around with though for fun.

Conquest maps have all of those things, jets, helis, tanks jeeps, if you are a PC player the Caspian map seemed big enough for 128 vs 128. It had 64 vs 64 when I played and it was a long way to the main fighting areas.