Stage Collapse

FountainOfSyrinx

A 70 mph wind blew down the stage where acts Sugarland and Sara Bareilles (a personal favorite for me) were performing. Four people have been confirmed dead while 40 more are injured, many of which are in critical condition. However, all of the members in each act are reportedly safe with no injuries and no harm.

Full story here: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...c30f2549b1e3a88

Oh, no! How awful. You go to the Fair to have a good time and something like this happens. sad.gif

Especially when you go to see a favorite artist of yours! I can't imagine what effects it has on the artists themselves. Tragic.

The video was nonetheless disturbing. Maybe because you know that is just crushes people when it comes down. However reports are that a lot of the people that died were crew members working in lights

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Aug 14 2011, 09:21 AM)
This is horrifyingly painful to watch. How could they not have foreseen the high winds? Was the stage not assembles properly?

The storm was one in which it came in out of nowhere. The set began with sun and beautiful weather. Just before 9 PM local time, a member of the Sugarland crew came on stage to warn the people of the high winds and inclement weather coming in. However, he told the fans that they were going to attempt to put on the show if the weather permitted. This obviously caused big time fans to stay (If Geddy said, hey guys, there's a freak storm blowing id, but we're gonna try to put on our show soon, ID STAY!!). Anyways, just after he left the stage the 70+ mph gust blew in, and chaos ensued.

If it was up to me, i'd say "leave the area, now. if weather comes in, y'all are in serious danger. if the weather passes, we'll schedule the start of our show no later than 10 PM. (They could've also played a shortened set) They have/had shows in Iowa tonight. So they couldn't postpone the show, but i don't know if these shows are still on or cancelled. I bet they lost quite abit of equipment last night.

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Aug 14 2011, 08:26 AM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Aug 14 2011, 09:21 AM)
This is horrifyingly painful to watch. How could they not have foreseen the high winds? Was the stage not assembles properly?

The storm was one in which it came in out of nowhere. The set began with sun and beautiful weather. Just before 9 PM local time, a member of the Sugarland crew came on stage to warn the people of the high winds and inclement weather coming in. However, he told the fans that they were going to attempt to put on the show if the weather permitted. This obviously caused big time fans to stay (If Geddy said, hey guys, there's a freak storm blowing id, but we're gonna try to put on our show soon, ID STAY!!). Anyways, just after he left the stage the 70+ mph gust blew in, and chaos ensued.

If it was up to me, i'd say "leave the area, now. if weather comes in, y'all are in serious danger. if the weather passes, we'll schedule the start of our show no later than 10 PM. (They could've also played a shortened set) They have/had shows in Iowa tonight. So they couldn't postpone the show, but i don't know if these shows are still on or cancelled. I bet they lost quite abit of equipment last night.

yes.gif

I would have done that, too. Weather can be so unpredictable... if there's any chance of something like a storm on the way, I always err on the side of safety.

When ever I see those lighting people climb up into the rafters, I get nervous. I know that they do it all the time but I project my acrophobia. To know that some of them died because they were up there..... sad.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Aug 15 2011, 08:43 AM)
Yeah, terrible. I got mad at a friend of mine this weekend who said:

"At least they didn't have to sit thru a Sugarland concert"

That's a horrible thing to say.