The Cicada Thread

bigalfan

Gettin' that summer th1245.gif hankerin' fer cicadas? One way to keep 'em outta yer trees is ta put 'em on yer plate! There are plenty of recipes online! Enjoy!

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/...nch-and-dinner/

...and you thought this thread title was posted under the wrong heading! Mmmmmmm-mmmmm

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jul 7 2011, 06:23 PM)
Gettin' that summer th1245.gif hankerin' fer cicadas? One way to keep 'em outta yer trees is ta put 'em on yer plate! There are plenty of recipes online! Enjoy!

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/...nch-and-dinner/

...and you thought this thread title was posted under the wrong heading! Mmmmmmm-mmmmm

Get me some pics please

Not sure if cicadas taste like crickets, but apparently crickets are not that different in taste from potato chips, at least according to Angelina Jolie.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/19/a...o_n_902477.html

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jul 24 2011, 06:39 AM)
Not sure if cicadas taste like crickets, but apparently crickets are not that different in taste from potato chips, at least according to Angelina Jolie.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/19/a...o_n_902477.html

She probably just said that to look cultured and well-traveled. Or maybe she was misquoted and said something more like this: "Crickets are like potato chips...the really shitty kind of potato chips that you only try once!"

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jul 27 2011, 10:53 AM)
I think the crispy exoskeleton is what gets me. Yes, people eat shellfish, but they remove the shells.

*shudder*

But people eat shrimp still in its shell. unsure.gif

It's only nasty because our culture thinks it's nasty.

Here's my example: More than a handful of times I've told folks out here that they should take their chocolate bar and spread some peanut butter on it. Some thought it'd taste too sweet. Others thought it would be absolutely gross. One time I convinced someone to try it (practically forcing the choco w/peanut butter into their mouth)...before she bit into it her face was like that of SOMEONE ABOUT TO EAT A CICADA. Know what I'm saying? smile.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 26 2011, 09:02 PM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jul 27 2011, 10:53 AM)
I think the crispy exoskeleton is what gets me. Yes, people eat shellfish, but they remove the shells.

*shudder*

But people eat shrimp still in its shell. unsure.gif

Here's my example: More than a handful of times I've told folks out here that they should take their chocolate bar and spread some peanut butter on it. Some thought it'd taste too sweet. Others thought it would be absolutely gross. One time I convinced someone to try it (practically forcing the choco w/peanut butter into their mouth)...before she bit into it her face was like that of SOMEONE ABOUT TO EAT A CICADA. Know what I'm saying? smile.gif

Very true. When my lil bro was a kid, I got him to eat fried calamari by letting him believe it could possibly be shrimp. (I didn't lie to him, I just let him believe it). Normally, he's not terribly into eating anything that wasn't mac n cheese, fried shrimp or chicken related. After he ate it and liked it, I told him it was squid. He was a little surprised, then said in triumph, "I'm eatin' squid!" as he tossed another in his mouth.

I say, give it a fair shot. If it helps, imagine it's something else or don't ask what it is or don't look at it. I've eaten lots of "strange" stuff that way. Most of it I even liked; but at the very least, could tolerate it. (strange to me, not to the person who prepared it).

[disclaimer: have never eaten cidada]

That's true for sure...and eating one type of animal and not another makes no sense; if you give it any thought, it's all either grotesque or okay, depending on the person.

But you aren't getting me to eat that cheese where the worms eat their way into your intestines after you eat it. Nuh-uh. And I think I'll shell my shrimp AND any cicadas I'm convinced to eat wacko.gif ...I really do not dig shells!

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jul 29 2011, 01:54 PM)

That's true for sure...and eating one type of animal and not another makes no sense; if you give it any thought, it's all either grotesque or okay, depending on the person.

But you aren't getting me to eat that cheese where the worms eat their way into your intestines after you eat it. Nuh-uh. And I think I'll shell my shrimp AND any cicadas I'm convinced to eat wacko.gif ...I really do not dig shells!

Don't know anything about any cheeseworm killers. I think with me it depends mostly on smell than actual sight...even texture is much more important than what something looks like or actually IS.

As for eating shrimp shells (never tried cicada), I thought it'd be much worse than when I tried it. It depends on how they're cooked. I doubt eating boiled shrimp still in its shell is any good. But heavily heavily fried is practically the same as eating it without the shell. Not trying to convince you or anyone (had enough experiences of people trying to force me to eat shit I didn't want). Just sayin'. trink39.gif

On a side note, I tried to order scorpion (with shell) before but the restaurant was totally sold out. The next day, I tried at another restaurant, same result. Plenty of Peking duck, zero scorp. China.