15 Bands you love, 15 Songs you hate

The Owl

Easy Enough... Post 15 or so of your favorite bands and post the song by the artist you like the least (or outright hate) by the said band..... and elaborate just a bit

In no particular order..

1. Pink Floyd - Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast- I really don't hate this track, I just don't like it... a bit too "British l" for my taste..

2. Rush - "Dog Years" - I don't need to elaborate on why this song is bad any more than has already been said.... next

3. Porcupine Tree- "The Sky Moves Sideways [Alternate Version]" - Now I love the 2 phase title track to "The Sky Moves Sideways" but if you have the extended version of the album you also have this alternate version to this song as well, which is plainly a heavily edited full version of both parts... just not a good way to put both "phases" together.

4. Dream Theater- "Light Fuse and get Away" - Not a big fan of DT's first album....There are some highlights and some turds... this being the biggest one.... (FYI this song just barley beat out "Honor Thy Father" for the worst DT song..f***ing nu metal bullshit)

5. Yes - "Love Will Find A Way" - 80's yes was a bi-polar time for the band... alot of it was good, and alot was not... There are alot of tracks you could put here... Though I admit I have still not heard "Talk" or "Open Your Eyes"

6. Genesis - "I Can't Dance"- I am not familiar with that much post-Hackett Genesis, but if you played this side by side with say a song like "Cinema Show" and you see the direction the band was heading, do you blame me for being apprehensive about checking out the Phil led era?

7. King Crimson- "Dig Me"- Three of a Perfect Pair is a decent album, but this track is defiantly "WTF" even by King Crimson Standards

8. Muse - "Supermassive Black Hole" - I love Muse, but I am aghast that this piece of shit of a track is somehow their greatest hit, just because it was included in some vampire film....what a shit song by a great band.

9. David Bowie - "Come and Buy My Toys" I am generally confused about Bowie's first album... most of it comes of as "British Sunday School" music...but most of the album is still enjoyable in it's own way... this track however is just a bit too much... how did Bowie go from this to "Space Oddity" in just 1 album cycle?

10. The Beatles - "March of the Meanies" - It was hard to choose a Beatles song, even the worst is not bad, so I just chose one off the Yellow Submarine Soundtrack... lol

11. Metallica- Anything off of Saint Anger will do..

12. Spock's Beard - "Is This Love" - Not a big fan of their 9th Self- Titled album... this is not a bad track, but it does not live up to SB standards, as is true with half this album.

13. Opeth - The bonus tracks on the "Candlelight Years" box set - If you got this set (which is just their first 3 albums in one set) there are 3 bonus tracks (1 for each album) at the end of each disc... they should have been left off... the only songs on this list that are getting docked for absolute shit sound quality and not so much musical quality.

14. Led Zeppelin - "Hot Dog" - I don't dislike "In through the Out Door" as some of the people here do, most of it is good, but this track plain out sucks... WTF Zeppelin?

15. Dream Theater - "Honor Thy Father" - f**k it, I know this makes 2 DT entries, but after further reflection (and not wanting to re-edit my earlier entry) I realize this song sucks just as hard as "Light Fuse and Get Away"

1. 19/2000 - Gorillaz

The remix of this particular song is actually much better than the original version. I love how the original is obviously dub-raggae, but it's just waaaay too slow for me, especially on an album that has any faster songs.

2. The Test that Stumped Them All - Dream Theater

I like Dream Theater. I like 'Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence'. But this? I'd rather have ice picks shoved into my ears. The lyrics just sound so awkward compared to the music that accompanies them. Obviously the weakest part of the entire SDoIT suite.

3. Sanctified - Nine Inch Nails

If it weren't for this one song, 'Pretty Hate Machine' would be a great album. The lyrics are so cheesy that it's almost embarrassing. Take the chorus for proof:

"if she says come inside I'll come inside for her.

If she says give it all i'll give everything to her.

I am justified.

I am purified.

I am sanctified.

Inside you"

4. Way of the World - Genesis

I used to love this song when I was younger. Why do I hate it now? Pop Genesis hasn't really been my biggest kick as of late. It's one of those "trying too hard" songs. If Rutherford had written these lyrics by himself, then I would probably like this song a lot more. However, the lyrics combined with the synth controlled music just turns me further away.

5. Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast - Pink Floyd

There's not a lot of Pink Floyd songs that I hate. But this one takes the cake. It's not the fact that this is "too British" for me; it lies more in the experimental factor. It's great that they went far and reached out, but this song obviously met (and still meets) a deaf ear.

6. Territorial Pissings - Nirvana

Typical angst grunge lyrics and composition. The off key "vocals" (if they so can be called) make my ears feel like they're being put through a meat grinder. Along with the overdrive pedal being made Kurt Cobain's bitch, I can't stand how unnecessarily loud this song is. Whatever the point in making this song was, I sure don't understand it.

7. Hold Your Colour - Pendulum

I love the Drum and Bass genre. Really energetic, in-your-face music. In fact, Pendulum is one of my favorite DnB bands. Their album 'Immersion' is fantastic in every way possible, and I'm surprised it didn't get more attention. The title track for their first album, 'Hold Your Colour', made me lose hope in the DnB genre. It's overproduced garbage to my ears. It's not really DnB to begin with, but more around the techno/electronica genre that is similar to groups like The Bloody Beatroots. But hey, it's better than dubstep.

8. Separate Lives - Phil Collins

Never liked this song to begin with. Though it's the typical pop/adult contemporary song that Collins usually wrote in his career, this one is just too overbearing. However, I like the live version from the 'Both Sides' tour, which added Arnold McCuller as a third male vocalist.

9. Moribund the Burgermeister - Peter Gabriel

Production on this track is absolutely awful. The watery drum tone annoys me to where I feel like I'm listening to the song under water (which was probably where it was recorded). The lyrics make absolutely no sense to me at all and I can never catch on to what Peter was thinking.

10. Owner of a Lonely Heart - Yes

The only credit I can give to this song is that it has a catchy guitar riff. The rest is pretty obvious and I don't think an entire paragraph dedicated to my hatred of the song is worthwhile.

11. Emotion Detector - Rush

Yes, I had to put this song on here. Surprisingly enough, this is only the first of three songs I really dislike from the synth-era Rush (the other two being 'Tai Shan' and 'High Water'). Not a large fan of the album 'Power Windows', but it has its strong points. 'Emotion Detector' is not one of those strong points. It feels too saturated with synths and electronics that I feel almost completely lost. Alex's guitar isn't even prominent enough until his solo, which could have saved this song for me, but I wasn't too impressed.

12. Radicals - Tyler, the Creator

One of my favorite (and only favorite thus far) rappers from the group Odd Future (OFWGKTA if you wanna get technical). Tyler's new album 'Goblin' came out this year and I was hoping for something spectacular. I got the exact opposite it seems. Besides the first single 'Yonkers' (which was released a full 3 months before the album), I see nothing memorable. The song 'Radicals' is the absolute definition of how Tyler tries to shock people. It doesn't work, at all. The Odd Future monicker is "Kill people, burn shit, f**k school". Typical "shockcore". Not impressed at all by this. He hasn't handled his new fame very well.

13. Elephant Talk - King Crimson

Really leaves me wondering what Fripp was smoking when writing this.

14. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man) - The Beach Boys

My most favorite group ever. Just can't stand the theme of this song.

15. We Shall Overcome - Roger Waters

My favorite solo artist from Pink Floyd. When I heard Roger's version of 'We Shall Overcome', I couldn't bear his dark vocals. This isn't a dark song by nature. It needs to be sung by a choir with joy and happiness. Singing this song in a deep baritone voice is just...wrong and disturbing.

I'll keep my list to 5 cos I don't have a lot of time -

Pink Floyd - Great Gig in the Sky

schla03.gif followed by some lady screeching, then more schla03.gif

Rinse and repeat. 062802puke_prv.gif

Rush - Dog Years

Enough said. It's just so... annoying.

Yes - Hearts

Just too long for a pop album. schla03.gif

The Beatles - Within You Without You

Never got why people loved this song. Just plain annoying. 062802puke_prv.gif

Led Zeppelin - The Lemon Song

Never really like much of LZII's A-side. Boring. This song isn't exactly a masterpiece. schla03.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 2 2011, 08:37 PM)

Rush - Dog Years

Yes - Hearts

Never really like much of LZII's A-side. Boring. This song isn't exactly a masterpiece. schla03.gif

I love all those songs except Dog Years.

http://webservice.imagesauce.net/image/777082/400x.jpg

No. Way.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 2 2011, 08:39 PM)

Rush - Dog Years

Yes - Hearts

I love all those songs except Dog Years.

I didn't say they were bad songs, I just don't like them. confused13.gif

Rush - Anagram For Mongo. I get it that there's wordplay, but that doesn't make this song stop putting me to sleep.

Genesis - Illegal Alien. It sounds like a children's song. There's no other way to describe it.

Dream Theater - The Great Debate. The gigantic stinker in their magnum opus! Just doesn't do it for me. Cheesy subject for lyrics, and very repetitive.

Gentle Giant - I Betcha Thought We Couldn't Do It. Their absolute bottom of the barrel. Represents the absolute low point of their career. No redeeming qualities to this song at all; just a bunch of faux-punk crossed with TV sitcom theme show.

Megadeth - Crush 'Em. Just listen to it. Everything about it sucks.

Metallica - Frantic. I dare you to try to take James seriously as he yells "FRAN TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TOCK!!" So silly.

Opeth - Porcelain Heart. One of the better songs in this list. However, its plodding greatly detracts from the incredible momentum present throughout Watershed.

Pink Floyd - What Do You Want From Me? Well, for starters, get Roger Waters back in the band, and stop re-making Have A Cigar!

Primus - Camelback Cinema. This and Coddingtown are just awful. Without them, The Brown Album is awesome, but these two songs are seriously very hard for me to make it through. So. Obnoxious.

Protest The Hero - She Who Mars The Skin Of Gods. Another one that's not really that bad, but man does it detract from the album for its mediocrity. Not even close to the caliber of the rest of their discography.

Radiohead - Treefingers. I think Kid A would be better off without it. Just an unnecessary bit of noodling.

Regina Spektor - Dance Anthem of the 80's. Obnoxious piano plinking, and just overall extremely crappy. I've never made it all the way through the song.

Tool - Triad. This song seems like filler. It doesn't go anywhere at all. Tool needs Maynard to be legendary.

Weezer - The World Has Turned And Left Me Here. NOTE: This is only counting Weezer's debut and Pinkerton. They've made waaaayyyy worse songs since then, but I can't isolate one from that list. I can isolate one plodding, whiny song from the first two albums. And that's this one. It keeps me from my precious Buddy Holly.

Yes - Don't Kill The Whale. Horrible guitar tone, annoying keyboards. Stupid lyrics. Tormato needs to die. I hate it. The first time I listened to Tormato, I had the stomach flu. I couldn't think of a better overture for it.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jul 3 2011, 02:11 AM)

Dream Theater - The Great Debate. The gigantic stinker in their magnum opus! Just doesn't do it for me. Cheesy subject for lyrics, and very repetitive.

A song about stem-cell research being cheesy? I don't think so. no.gif

QUOTE (skalamander2112 @ Jul 3 2011, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 2 2011, 07:37 PM)

facepalm.gif

wow

+1

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jul 5 2011, 12:50 PM)
QUOTE (skalamander2112 @ Jul 3 2011, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 2 2011, 07:37 PM)

facepalm.gif

wow

+1

whats the big deal? I think even as a Pink Floyd fan you would have to say this song is quite a snoozer.

of course I am biased because I think almost all PF songs are snoozers

Edited by Xanadude69