20 players best bass tones poll!

New Digital Man

At last a credible poll of the top 20 bass players with the best tone mainly, but i think this is also an almost perfect list of players that have revolutionized the way the electric bass guitar has come from being inconspicous in the background to a solo instrument in it's own right!

http://bassplayer.com/article/20-tone-tita...une-2011/132783

20?? really? that list is about 12 too many. plus: no les claypool? steve harris?? WTF? tone-wise theirs are unmistakable. no to mention their chops are stellar.

it should be called: 8 best bass players tones and a bunch of other dudes that few really care about...

Matthew Garrison? interesting. The guy is fantastic and does have a great sound but in a popularity poll its great to see someone who is kind of an unknown. Good to see Family Man on the list as well.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jun 25 2011, 08:28 AM)
20?? really?  that list is about 12 too many. plus:  no les claypool? steve harris?? WTF?  tone-wise theirs are unmistakable.  no to mention their chops are stellar.

it should be called: 8 best bass players tones and a bunch of other dudes that few really care about...

My thoughts exactly - I'd add Flea to that list as well. Personally, I hate the Chili Peppers... but I can't deny that the majority of white boys discovered funk thanks to Flea and not the actual funk players on this list!

Flea...great tone? Ha ha ....and those guys you think 'no one cares about'? Are you kidding?

Talk to some bass players outside of rock and prog and see if they don't care about them.

Steve Harris...great tone? ....come on.

QUOTE (druid13 @ Jun 28 2011, 02:28 PM)
Flea...great tone? Ha ha ....and those guys you think 'no one cares about'? Are you kidding?

Talk to some bass players outside of rock and prog and see if they don't care about them.

moon.gif "great" is a debatable word. but recognizable is not, and when anyone with half a brain hears steve play, they know right away it's him. ask geddy what he thinks about steve harris.

how many players on that list still tour and have millions of hardcore fans?? hmm? crickets.... delta bravo you are.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jun 28 2011, 02:34 PM)

moon.gif "great" is a debatable word. but recognizable is not, and when anyone with half a brain hears steve play, they know right away it's him. ask geddy what he thinks about steve harris.

how many players on that list still tour and have millions of hardcore fans?? hmm? crickets.... delta bravo you are.

I bet they all all playing...and it's a completely ridiculous remark to ask that type of question given the enormous talent in music and the arts that NEVER gets noticed by mainstream society. Come on....I'd also bet many of those supposedly not known guys have had far more work than many of the name guys too....

Point 2 what does touring with legions of fans have to do with having great bass tone?

QUOTE (druid13 @ Jun 28 2011, 03:17 PM)
QUOTE (scottybhp @ Jun 28 2011, 03:10 PM)
What, no Flea????!!!!  ohmy.gif  Glaring omission if there ever was one!!!!!

facepalm.gif

I kinnit read your face if it's in your palm! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (druid13 @ Jun 28 2011, 03:05 PM)
QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jun 28 2011, 02:34 PM)

I bet they all all playing...and it's a completely ridiculous remark to ask that type of question given the enormous talent in music and the arts that NEVER gets noticed by mainstream society. Come on....I'd also bet many of those supposedly not known guys have had far more work than many of the name guys too....

Point 2 what does touring with legions of fans have to do with having great bass tone?

goodpost.gif