Dracula

GeddPratLerxst

I tried reading it a couple years back, but gave up for something else.

Maybe I'll try again some day.

I did read it but I must admit that it bored me to tears. confused13.gif

But I made myself finish it.

Read it a few times. I had a class called (something like) "The Vampire Tradition in Literature" in college. As I type this...I recall I read it in a British Lit class prior to that as well.

Just went through...quickly...a book titled "Renfield: Slave of Dracula" by Barbara Hambley. It tells roughly the same story through Renfield's perspective.

I'm a fan of the genre obviously, but I struggled with it all three (or four) times. I loved the symbolism and the varied critical perspectives that can be applied to it though (made it easy to use it to write papers).

QUOTE (GeddPratLerxst @ Jun 22 2011, 05:29 PM)
Has anyone else read this book? It is a classic to me and it's so well written! It should be a required reading book at all high schools

I just read it on my iPad about 3 months ago (it's free btw smile.gif ). The format can be a little disorienting, with the continuously changing point of view, and some of Van Helsing's dialogue seems silly. The beginning and middle of the book is great. The ending bothers me for the same reason I hate Grisham's writing, it seems rushed. They seemed to have been able to kill Dracula too easily, given how powerful he's portrayed to be throughout the book. It's worth reading just because of how familiar everyone is with the story.