Memorial Day - a reminder

Mara

I know most people on the board don't need reminding - in fact several here have served or are currently serving. But just in case:

Please stop for a moment to reflect on why we have this day of dedication. It's not for cookouts or a day off from work or retail sales deals. It's not really meant to celebrate.

For some, this day is particularly hard. Families have lost their fathers, daughters, brothers and sisters. Many in the Armed Forces have watched their fellow soldiers and friends die. There is no such thing as "Happy Memorial Day".

To all of our TRF veterans, soldiers, and families of soldiers - thank you. rose.gif

goodpost.gif

It's a rough day for my boyfriend. He was in the military years ago and lost most of his squadron in a plane crash, and it was a fluke that he wasn't on the plane when it happened, so that makes it doubly hard.

((HUGS)) to all those out there dealing with loss rose.gif

goodpost.gif

http://www.illinoisfamily.org/blog/img/f22608/memorial_day.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/memorialday.jpg

Remember and Hail our fallen heros.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/Flag.jpg

QUOTE (Mara @ May 29 2011, 10:42 PM)
I know most people on the board don't need reminding - in fact several here have served or are currently serving. But just in case:

Please stop for a moment to reflect on why we have this day of dedication. It's not for cookouts or a day off from work or retail sales deals. It's not really meant to celebrate.

For some, this day is particularly hard. Families have lost their fathers, daughters, brothers and sisters. Many in the Armed Forces have watched their fellow soldiers and friends die. There is no such thing as "Happy Memorial Day".

To all of our TRF veterans, soldiers, and families of soldiers - thank you. rose.gif

goodpost.gif

No, actually a great one!

Thanks to all who have fought to keep us free!

I marched in the Memorial Day parade in my town on Saturday. It was hot, i almost passed out, some other kid did passed out (We were in full band uniform) but it was totally worth it. It was the least we could do to pay respect to our troops.

QUOTE (shail @ May 31 2011, 02:54 PM)
why not just thank the people that have served and are serving everyday. i do and i'm very thankful for them. it's a shame the world has to have war and senseless deaths.

The answer to your question "why not..." is because on Memorial Day, we pay special tribute to those that paid the ultimate price for serving in the military. That's not mutually exclusive to thanking current service members or living veterans, its an additional tribute.