Are "Is _____ Music" Threads Dumb?

Maverick

Are "Is _____ Music" Threads Dumb and Unecessary?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Are "Is _____ Music" Threads Dumb and Unecessary?

• Yes
    • Definitely
    • Without Question

Ok Tommy Sawyer, we get it. You don't like rap. Obviously, you like Rush. Maybe you grew up, or are growing up, surrounded by kids who laughed at your favorite bands, while they all liked Rap. Your only, and best, revenge is to deny Rap the status of being music, saying it sucks, and those who listen to it are stupid. How original.

And you, In A Tidewater Surge, you took this as an opportunity to start two more threads, asking whether or not Jazz and Prog are music. To be honest, I can't really tell if you are serious and cynical, or just trying to be clever. Are you demonstrating absurdity by being absurd? Stop it!

the real question is are "Are "Is _____ Music" Threads Dumb and Unecessary?" polls necessary..??

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ May 26 2011, 08:29 AM)
Considering the last of the threads was posted two days ago, I think you're a little late here.

The two mockery threads were funny, especially when everyone started taking them seriously. Nice to have a bit of levity here among all the prog-snobbery.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ May 26 2011, 01:11 PM)
..........................................................................................

this thread is dumber than 200 "is ___ music?" threads put together

These pretty much sum it up.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ May 27 2011, 03:22 AM)
I only listen to 13-second bursts of 10KHz sine tones at 96dB. Anything else is not real music no.gif

Best...musical...composition...EVER!!!!

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 27 2011, 07:00 PM)
The sounds of whales humping is prog and the only thing I listen to. When you play that Shit backwards it gets the party started.

Hey Ways!

Interesting that you would say this!

I remember seeing Robert Fripp open up for Porcupine Tree in San Francisco.

The dude just sat there in his chair playing sounds that reminded me of humpbacks having wild sex with sperm whales.

It made no sense to my brain and it drove me fuckking nuts.

I would rather watch Star Trek IV backwards than listen to mating whale sounds on a Fripp guitar.

Fripp has lost it man.

The guy is a Legend who needs to retire into the "Sunless Saturday" of No Return.

Signed,

FISHBONE 1022.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 28 2011, 02:11 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 27 2011, 07:00 PM)
The sounds of whales humping is prog and the only thing I listen to.  When you play that Shit backwards it gets the party started.

Hey Ways!

Interesting that you would say this!

I remember seeing Robert Fripp open up for Porcupine Tree in San Francisco.

The dude just sat there in his chair playing sounds that reminded me of humpbacks having wild sex with sperm whales.

It made no sense to my brain and it drove me fuckking nuts.

I would rather watch Star Trek IV backwards than listen to mating whale sounds on a Fripp guitar.

Fripp has lost it man.

The guy is a Legend who needs to retire into the "Sunless Saturday" of No Return.

Signed,

FISHBONE 1022.gif

Reminds me a story a friend told me about seeing Smashing pumpkins in Miami back in mid nineties. They came out and played an awful racket of noise for approx. 45 minutes until half the auditorium emptied out. Then Corgan got on the mic and said "now that all of the poseurs are gone let's start the show" and they went into their set...

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 26 2011, 07:23 PM)
Is Steve Morse Code Music?

Is Neal Morse Code Music?

no but Neil's morse code is music!

ding da ding ding ding da ding ding ding ding da da ding.. lol

QUOTE (Oracle @ May 26 2011, 11:24 PM)
There is a word which can describe MOTS. And that word is "clusterfuck".

That word is reserved solely for the SOCN.

Get another word.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 28 2011, 06:54 AM)
...a story a friend told me about seeing Smashing pumpkins in Miami back in mid nineties. They came out and played an awful racket of noise for approx. 45 minutes until half the auditorium emptied out. Then Corgan got on the mic and said "now that all of the poseurs are gone let's start the show" and they went into their set...

I don't think I've ever heard anything more pretentious

my instincts were right

no wonder I never gave a shit about that band...