Is jazz real music?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it odd that after I post a poll that is taken by most to be rap-bashing, that you start two threads questioning two of the most amazing genres of music of all time. Especially because of the similarity of the titles.

My thread: Is rap music? (BTW, this was not intended to bash rap. Rap requires a lot of skill and may be enjoyable to listen to. It, however, cannot be considered music because of the lack of instruments, IMO.)

Your threads: Is prog music?

Is jazz real music?

They just seem kind of similar to me. Take it however you want, but it seems as if you are bitter over my heavily discussed rap thread, which as I said was only intended to draw discussion.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 24 2011, 10:25 PM)
I find it odd that after I post a poll that is taken by most to be rap-bashing, that you start two threads questioning two of the most amazing genres of music of all time. Especially because of the similarity of the titles.

My thread: Is rap music? (BTW, this was not intended to bash rap. Rap requires a lot of skill and may be enjoyable to listen to. It, however, cannot be considered music because of the lack of instruments, IMO.)

Is jazz real music?

They just seem kind of similar to me. Take it however you want, but it seems as if you are bitter over my heavily discussed rap thread, which as I said was only intended to draw discussion.

wow. just wow.

yes, he is making fun of the thread. not necessarily you or your original intentions, but the thread itself. just because he disagrees with your point of view doesn't make him a "rap lover". I am not a fan of the rap genre in general either, but i recognize its artistic merits, enjoy several rap artists, and will defend it against people who make incorrect statements about it. You (and several other members of this forum) need to stop jumping so hastily to conclusions and generalizing things.

And disclaim it whatever way you want, it was "for fun", it was "only meant for discussion", anyone with half a brain cell knows perfectly well that posting a poll like that on a forum like this will lead to mindless rap hating in a matter of minutes. It's only a fair debate when the arguments from all parties are equal in intellect, evidence and knowledge.

Yes, it is most certainly music.

In fact, it may be the only truly "American" music, because while it did originate from ancient African traditions and beats, it started here. Some would go so far as to say it influenced nearly all of modern popular music: All forms of rock, rap, hip-hop, reggae, techno, pop, on and on and on... all from jazz.

Not saying it's fact, but it's a pretty strong speculation. So yup, love jazz, definitely music. 8D

Besides, if what I did forty minutes a day at school for the past four years wasn't music, then I wasted a lot of time. laugh.gif

QUOTE (CMWriter @ May 24 2011, 11:22 PM)
Yes, it is most certainly music.
In fact, it may be the only truly "American" music, because while it did originate from ancient African traditions and beats, it started here. Some would go so far as to say it influenced nearly all of modern popular music: All forms of rock, rap, hip-hop, reggae, techno, pop, on and on and on... all from jazz.

Not saying it's fact, but it's a pretty strong speculation. So yup, love jazz, definitely music. 8D

Besides, if what I did forty minutes a day at school for the past four years wasn't music, then I wasted a lot of time. laugh.gif

You haven't been on MOTS recently, have you?

wink.gif

In fact, it may be the only truly "American" music,

(American) folk, country, bluegrass, blues, metal, hardcore, disco (as terrible as it is), rap and hip-hop (dare i say those names any more)? Also, many classical music followers will often separate music by country/nationality. While I believe this to be flawed logic, it is often true that Russian music, French music, German music, etc... all have a unique flair to them, so in that same vein, American Classical could also be considered original (think Gershwin, Barber, Copland, etc)

and also, what xannytim said tongue.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 24 2011, 10:24 PM)

You haven't been on MOTS recently, have you?

wink.gif

Oh, I have. Well, seen a couple of the threads, that is.

I know what this thread is largely a response to, but it had to do with jazz so I decided to give a serious comment nonetheless. Unless I'm missing something here?

(American) folk, country, bluegrass, blues, metal, hardcore, disco (as terrible as it is), rap and hip-hop (dare i say those names any more)? Also, many classical music followers will often separate music by country/nationality. While I believe this to be flawed logic, it is often true that Russian music, French music, German music, etc... all have a unique flair to them, so in that same vein, American Classical could also be considered original (think Gershwin, Barber, Copland, etc)

and also, what xannytim said

Point taken and noted. wink.gif But I was kind of quoting. I've heard people say that. I don't necessarily agree with that statement that it's one of the original/only truly American music, but like I said, I've heard that said.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ May 24 2011, 10:52 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 24 2011, 10:25 PM)

Is jazz real music?

wow. just wow.

yes, he is making fun of the thread. not necessarily you or your original intentions, but the thread itself. just because he disagrees with your point of view doesn't make him a "rap lover". I am not a fan of the rap genre in general either, but i recognize its artistic merits, enjoy several rap artists, and will defend it against people who make incorrect statements about it. You (and several other members of this forum) need to stop jumping so hastily to conclusions and generalizing things.

And disclaim it whatever way you want, it was "for fun", it was "only meant for discussion", anyone with half a brain cell knows perfectly well that posting a poll like that on a forum like this will lead to mindless rap hating in a matter of minutes. It's only a fair debate when the arguments from all parties are equal in intellect, evidence and knowledge.

facepalm.gif And I'm sorry that you take the Internet so seriously.

Oh, and did you read my post? I acknowledged the talent behind rap. I don't think it's wrong to enjoy rap. It is just as valid a form of entertainment as music, dancing, etc. I just am disturbed that a form of entertainment with so little actual music ( ie instrumentation) can be considered music.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 25 2011, 12:00 AM)
facepalm.gif And I'm sorry that you take the Internet so seriously.

>take the Internet seriously

>implying colinfledge takes ANYTHING online seriously

You must be new here, welcome to TRF.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ May 25 2011, 03:33 AM)
In fact, it may be the only truly "American" music,

(American) folk, country, bluegrass, blues, metal, hardcore, disco (as terrible as it is), rap and hip-hop (dare i say those names any more)?

You calling METAL Merkin music boy?

Cos you sho am wrong there.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ May 24 2011, 10:02 PM)
Most of it is shit with a bunch of old guys who have nothing better to do than blow on their sax or pound their drums. eh.gif

I suggest taking a Music Theory class. Yes. It is very much music.

QUOTE (skalamander2112 @ May 25 2011, 01:30 AM)
hotdog.gif
uh-oh hot dog!

Your avatar http://www.laser-exhausts.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/eraserhead.gif reminds of a funny dude over at ProgArchives. Can't think of his name though. doh.gif