Pirates of the Caribbean

Let me start by stating I am not a fan of the Pirates of The Caribbean movies. When the first one came out I had nothing but high hopes that it would be nothing short of fantastic but in my opinion it wasn't what I hoped for and actually much less...I didn't like it...The second one was even worse and the third absolutely horrendous.

I had read many critics reviews of POTC:OST and most if not all just slam this movie with very little good to say about it, so going in I was expecting a nightmare... I was pleasantly surprised and IMO it wasn't all that bad.

It has way, way less CGI than its predecessors and actually uses locations and sets!! Something I was really glad to see, there is such a thing as too much CGI.

The story was simple and easy to follow without multiple story lines and events occurring simultaneously that created a convoluted mess with the previous films.

Jack Sparrow fans will be glad to see he is in just about every scene in the movie unlike the other films where although the star, he had an occasional line here or there in some scenes. The drawback there I saw, was that he lost a little of his charm where instead of interjecting a witty quip, some of his dialogue was a little... well... boring.

Penelope Cruz is pretty easy on the eyes and does a decent job and plays her role well, as does Geoffrey Rush who reprises his role as Barbossa who is a good as ever and one of the high point of all four movies. Ian McShane plays a good Black Beard but I feel he never gets to the point where you don't like him...he was actually really likable.

Of course there are the typical sword fights, and Jack gets into and out of one jam after another but there is very little in the way of sea battles or complex action sequences which is a nice change from the other movies. It wasn't a great movie, but not the worst either. I also have to admit there was a couple of times where I nodded out for a minute or two about a third of the way in...That lack of CGI does tend to slow things down a bit.

Leaving the theater I was surprised that I'd actually liked it more than I thought I would.

On a scale of 1 to 10, ten being best I rank all four movies as follows:

Curse of the Black Pearl - 3

Dead Mans Chest - 2

At Worlds End - 1

On Stranger Tides - 4

I still don't like any of them and feel they aren't even good movies, but I feel this installment was best of all.

EDIT:

Know what...I made a HUUUUGE mistake....In the next post Alex has pointed out that they shot the previous movies on location as well....This changes my opinion completely about this movie....DISREGARD EVERYTHING ABOVE EDIT:

This is the GREATEST movie of all time!!!!!!

The acting is superior to anything every made and the story is superior to everything ever put on film!!!!

YOU MUST SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!

And ya know what...the first three movies were just as good!!!!

We have a run of the greatest movies ever made going on with this latest addition to the series and I hope it never ends!!!!

Because they shot the first movie on location it is PHENOMENAL!!!!

The next movie was even better and the third was sent directly from Gods brain straight to celluloid!!!!!

Man.....great movies!!!! wink.gif

Edited by Invisible To Telescopic Eye

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ May 21 2011, 02:40 PM)
It has way, way less CGI than its predecessors and actually uses locations and sets!! Something I was really glad to see, there is such a thing as too much CGI.

Well, the first movie was shot on location in the Carribean, and the newest one was shot in Hawaii.

QUOTE (Alex @ May 21 2011, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ May 21 2011, 02:40 PM)

Well, the first movie was shot on location in the Carribean, and the newest one was shot in Hawaii.

Boy am I glad you pointed that out....I gotta go change my review!!!

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 21 2011, 06:00 PM)
I hope it's as good as some say. I really loved the first three and I want this one to be just as good and funny.

The last one was just dreadful and the second was almost as bad. I did enjoy the first quite a bit though.

We may be going to an early show today

It's doing terrible on rottentomatoes. The most common thing I hear is that it just meanders and is poorly structured. I didn't much like these anyhow. I went to the first three because my wife loves Johnny Depp and I dig his acting too...but these films aren't for me.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 22 2011, 12:25 PM)
It's doing terrible on rottentomatoes. The most common thing I hear is that it just meanders and is poorly structured. I didn't much like these anyhow. I went to the first three because my wife loves Johnny Depp and I dig his acting too...but these films aren't for me.

not really.....73% of the audience liked it, and it's 7.3 on IMDB....

I just saw POTC:OST. Yes, it does meander, but only a tad. The story is not very strong and some of the events are just beyond ridiculous.

But, it does keep you interested. And frankly the above referenced secondary characters were more interesting than the main story (mermaid meets boy) even though it had nothing to add to the plot.

A couple twists and turns kept it going though. Overall, I enjoyed it. I'd give it 3.5/5

I saw the first movie and seem to remember it being mildly amusing. I didn't see 2 or 3. I took my daughter to see the 4th movie Saturday. She has seen them all and was really excited about seeing this one. After about an hour I was ready for it to be over. Very uninteresting all the way around but my daughter liked it. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 21 2011, 11:00 PM)
I hope it's as good as some say. I really loved the first three and I want this one to be just as good and funny.

+1

Eh, the Pirates movies are fun if you forgo all the impossibilities in them... and TS mentioned some of them... In the new one the palm tree launch defied physics.

There are a lot of movies that are better if you just turn off reality and enjoy the show. These 4 are definitely in that "boat"

Like in the 3rd one, if you buy Calypso turning into a bunch of crabs and returning to the sea, letting the "flip the boat" scene pass is pretty easy. And in this new one, mermaids and water flowing up don't bug you - why would the physical impossibility of the palm tree launch be that big of a deal.

If you go into these movies expecting something more than it really is, you'll be disappointed. Personally, I like all 4 of them.

"FYE-RUH!" (my favorite Elizabeth Swan line)