Stevia

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ May 6 2011, 09:27 AM)
Anyone?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/76928-stevia-sugar/

Bought a big pack from Costco. Tastes like Aspartame.

I've tried it and it makes me hungrier... I hate it!

Good old regular sugar, used in great moderation for me.

First you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women.

I use real sugar only. High fructose corn syrup moderately as well. I stay away from the crazy chemicals and artificially made crap. Stevia and xylitol are natural but taste funny. Sugar won't hurt ya if you don't eat it like an American.

Give me real sugar any day. All of the artificial sweetners, even Stevia, make me really, really sick.

QUOTE (BellaCheval @ May 9 2011, 01:21 AM)
Give me real sugar any day. All of the artificial sweetners, even Stevia, make me really, really sick.

I've known a couple of people who tried it and it gave them terrible gas. It must have been some sort of individualized reaction, because that's not listed as a potential affect.

QUOTE (Mara @ May 9 2011, 11:04 AM)

I've known a couple of people who tried it and it gave them terrible gas. It must have been some sort of individualized reaction, because that's not listed as a potential affect.

Kinda like me with aspartame. Gives me headaches. I don't know if it does that to anybody else though.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 9 2011, 05:05 PM)

Kinda like me with aspartame. Gives me headaches. I don't know if it does that to anybody else though.

That means you shouldn't be consuming aspartame. At all.

Well, nobody should, but that's another story.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 9 2011, 05:08 PM)

Given that I consume so much of it that it's practically part of my DNA by now, I can happily state that I have never experienced adverse effects from the "Evil A". And I've been doing this for a looooonngg time, ever since it hit the market. If I were told to give it up. . .probably would not happen unless there was a really compelling reason for it. I can go without cigarettes before I can go without Diet Mt. Dew. (Though I am not much of a smoker anymore - I've had the same pack for a week now).

My brother-in-law has multiple myeloma and his family are SURE it came from his years as a plant manager for a Big Gum & Candy company and all the aspartame he was exposed to. Maybe, maybe not; I wouldn't advocate snorting the stuff on a regular basis. However, he's also grossly overweight, doesn't exercise, and has terrible nutrition habits. But they're just sure it's aspartame.

QUOTE (Mara @ May 9 2011, 05:18 PM)

Given that I consume so much of it that it's practically part of my DNA by now, I can happily state that I have never experienced adverse effects from the "Evil A". And I've been doing this for a looooonngg time, ever since it hit the market. If I were told to give it up. . .probably would not happen unless there was a really compelling reason for it. I can go without cigarettes before I can go without Diet Mt. Dew. (Though I am not much of a smoker anymore - I've had the same pack for a week now).

My brother-in-law has multiple myeloma and his family are SURE it came from his years as a plant manager for a Big Gum & Candy company and all the aspartame he was exposed to. Maybe, maybe not; I wouldn't advocate snorting the stuff on a regular basis. However, he's also grossly overweight, doesn't exercise, and has terrible nutrition habits. But they're just sure it's aspartame.

You're lucky that you can consume so much of it and not feel any adverse effects. Seems like Tarky isn't so lucky.

With all the exercising you do, you could probably get away with drinking the non-diet stuff, unless you just like the taste of diet better.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 9 2011, 05:24 PM)

You're lucky that you can consume so much of it and not feel any adverse effects. Seems like Tarky isn't so lucky.

With all the exercising you do, you could probably get away with drinking the non-diet stuff, unless you just like the taste of diet better.

I really do prefer the diet taste. Sugared sodas are too syrupy.

QUOTE (Mara @ May 9 2011, 06:19 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 9 2011, 05:24 PM)

I really do prefer the diet taste. Sugared sodas are too syrupy.

Yeah, the diet sodas are too bitter for me. And the sweet "sensation" as I should say...lingers on a lot longer than regular sugar then turns bitter. (i almost typed butter laugh.gif )

And yes, 73, I shouldn't have it and I haven't had it for years.

Edited by Tarkus406

I drink probably one coke a month (usually with pizza or a burger) - in the south, everything's a coke, regardless of the flavor - but anyway.

My favorite is Cherry Coke. Just regular.

All sodas taste syrupy sweet to me - it's just that the diet ones taste weirdly syrupy sweet. laugh.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 9 2011, 09:55 PM)
I drink probably one coke a month (usually with pizza or a burger) - in the south, everything's a coke, regardless of the flavor - but anyway.

My favorite is Cherry Coke.  Just regular.

All sodas taste syrupy sweet to me - it's just that the diet ones taste weirdly syrupy sweet.  laugh.gif

Diet anything tastes nasty to me, and regular soda is too sweet for me.

Anybody try this? http://www.zevia.com/

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 9 2011, 08:55 PM)

My favorite is Cherry Coke. Just regular.

All sodas taste syrupy sweet to me - it's just that the diet ones taste weirdly syrupy sweet. laugh.gif

When I first went to Clemson, I was asked "what kinda Coke do you want?" I said - "I don't like Coke, I'll just have a white soda" The waitress has NO f-ing clue what a "white soda" was so I got seltzer water.... In WI, "white soda" is Sprite, 7-Up, Sierra Mist, etc etc

z7shysterical.gif

I made the mistake of getting some instant lemonade powder at the grocery store that was sweetened with Stevia. I was fine the day I drank it but the next day...me and the bathroom got to be very good friends [sorry about the TMI there].

I think the effects have to do with the chemicals that make up Stevia and sugar-based substitutes. Our bodies can use sucrose but not lactalose, so the body is going to get rid of it. That's how it was explained to me awhile back, but I don't know how the artificial stuff works.

I made the mistake of getting some instant lemonade powder at the grocery store that was sweetened with Stevia. I was fine the day I drank it but the next day...me and the bathroom got to be very good friends [sorry about the TMI there].

I think the effects have to do with the chemicals that make up Stevia and sugar-based substitutes. Our bodies can use sucrose but not lactalose, so the body is going to get rid of it. That's how it was explained to me awhile back, but I don't know how the artificial stuff works.

Sorry @ the double post, the Net blipped.

I've tried baking with Stevia and you really can taste the difference. Although all natural it does have something of an aftertaste to me.

As for soda, I have 1 grape soda a day...it's the Redbull I drink daily that is probably killing me. tongue.gif