"No-one"...which Rush album does it appear.

FourthmemberofRush

BeOhBe Bob was railing against my use of a hyphen while spelling 'no-one" on one of my posts, attempting to inform me that no one uses a hyphen. Evidently, BeOhBe Bob has not been into Rush for very long, not knowing that one of the Rush albums uses this spelling.

Who knows which one?

popcorn.gif

Hey BeOhBe Bob...take it up with Neil.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only incidence - off the top of my head - at least in terms of song titles would be "No One At the Bridge." I don't have CoS on me, so I can't say how it appears on the actual album cover, but everything I found on the internet had no hyphen.

If you were talking about something in the lyrics, I don't know.

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Apr 25 2011, 12:12 PM)
The only incidence - off the top of my head - at least in terms of song titles would be "No One At the Bridge."  I don't have CoS on me, so I can't say how it appears on the actual album cover, but everything I found on the internet had no hyphen.

If you were talking about something in the lyrics, I don't know.

Yes, it is in the lyrics.

QUOTE (FourthmemberofRush @ Apr 25 2011, 01:04 PM)
BeOhBe Bob was railing against my use of a hyphen while spelling 'no-one" on one of my posts, attempting to inform me that no one uses a hyphen. Evidently, BeOhBe Bob has not been into Rush for very long, not knowing that one of the Rush albums uses this spelling.

Who knows which one?

popcorn.gif 

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3653/3390182310_f86c82cb95.jpg

1) Just because you like a band, does not mean you need to agree with everything they believe in and/or do. Bob has a preference, that doesn't mean his preference is wrong, nor does it warrant making a thread to single him out.

2) I guess you haven't been on this forum long enough to realise that there are other boards where non-rush discussions go. Rush is obviously not the main topic of discussion here. This thread goes in the "Grand Designs" section of the board.

"Noone" and "no-one" are perfectlly acceptable ways to write the word in the English language. Some people, including myself, have preferences as to which one would be considered more formal.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Apr 25 2011, 11:45 AM)

Who knows which one?

popcorn.gif 

1) Just because you like a band, does not mean you need to agree with everything they believe in and/or do. Bob has a preference, that doesn't mean his preference is wrong, nor does it warrant making a thread to single him out.

2) I guess you haven't been on this forum long enough to realise that there are other boards where non-rush discussions go. Rush is obviously not the main topic of discussion here. This thread goes in the "Grand Designs" section of the board.

"Noone" and "no-one" are perfectlly acceptable ways to right the word in the English language. Some people, including myself, have preferences as to which one would be considered more formal.

I think you mean "write" z7shysterical.gif

The spelling of no-one or noone or even no one isn't the issue here.

Since we're talking about grammar - 4th member really needs to realize there is a difference between "your" and "you're". Look at a lot of previous posts, and you will see this error quite often.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Apr 25 2011, 12:45 PM)

Who knows which one?

popcorn.gif 

"Noone" and "no-one" are perfectlly acceptable ways to right the word in the English language. Some people, including myself, have preferences as to which one would be considered more formal.

BeOhBe Bob to me on the post, ANOTHER LOST GENERATION:

"NEWSFLASH no one hyphenates no one and after little clerical errors like that whomever is posting tends to lose credibility"

Based on BeOhBe Bob, Rush has made a 'clerical error' on one of their albums. And now he is going to pay the price.

I'm still waiting for an epic FourthMember/Gemini-Rising face off. A bit like By Tor and the Snowdog.

...well, I say 'waiting', 'hoping' would be closer to the truth.

Unless, of course, FourthMemberOfRush is Gemini Rising, which would spoil the fun (although but they do seem to be distinct individuals).

QUOTE (FourthmemberofRush @ Apr 25 2011, 11:05 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 25 2011, 01:03 PM)
boy, and i thought reani made stupid threads.

4thmember is obviously an alter.

Stupid thread, or are you feeling stupid because you and no-one else has answered a simple question on a Rush lyric yet?

yeah, sure, that's it.

i wonder if there's one word that would encapsulate "who gives a shit?" so i don't have to type out all those words. oh, oops, too late.

QUOTE (Undemanding Contact @ Apr 25 2011, 06:12 PM)
I'm still waiting for an epic FourthMember/Gemini-Rising face off. A bit like By Tor and the Snowdog.

Unless, of course, FourthMemberOfRush is Gemini Rising, which would spoil the fun (although but they do seem to be distinct individuals).

Do you think they are one and the same..? ohmy.gif

Neil used "No-one" on at least two songs, which appears as such in the liner notes. Hmm, I thought there were Rush fans here, no-one has answered the question in almost an hour.

P.S. No I am not Gemini-Rising. Maybe we need to meet up and come into an affinity on an issue and take on the whole board. Nah, i can do that myself.

popcorn.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Apr 25 2011, 11:37 AM)

Gemini Rising actually has interesting things to say.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 25 2011, 01:45 PM)

Don't be afraid to supply a 'for instance'. Then I will judge how interesting it is on a scale from 1 to 10.

Give us your best shot.

popcorn.gif

QUOTE (FourthmemberofRush @ Apr 25 2011, 01:45 PM)
Neil used "No-one" on at least two songs, which appears as such in the liner notes. Hmm, I thought there were Rush fans here, no-one has answered the question in almost an hour.

P.S. No I am not Gemini-Rising. Maybe we need to meet up and come into an affinity on an issue and take on the whole board. Nah, i can do that myself.

popcorn.gif

Pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things (actually, it's pretty irrelevant in any scheme of things), but as a way to procrastinate from real work...

Ok, candidates include:

TFOL Pt III - No One at the Bridge:

"And there's no one there to steer"

"But there's no one there to hear"

"but no one cares to hear"

Armor and Sword:

"No one gets to their heaven without a fight"

Red Barchetta:

"My uncle has a country place that no one knows about"

Entre Nous:

"Each one's life a novel no one else has read"

Anthem:

"Live for yourself - there's no one else more worth living for"

Take A Friend:

"No one to stick with you till the end"

Turn the Page:

"Nothing can survive in a vacuum. No one can exist all alone"

The Twilight Zone:

"Wake up lost in an empty town, wondering why no one else is around"

"Take A Friend" pre-dates Neil, so we'll cross that one off the list.

It's generally accepted that "no-one" is a less formal version of "no one", but both pretty much mean the same thing. Given that Neil has become a more formal/disciplined writer over time, I'd say the "no-one" examples are from earlier songs, so my guess for the (at least) two songs in question are: Anthem and The Twilight Zone.

So, what do I win?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 25 2011, 02:03 PM)
boy, and i thought reani made stupid threads.

4thmember is obviously an alter.

No, he's a RushTour refugee.

Fourthmember, this really wasn't threadworthy. This could have been debated very easily in the thread where Bob's comment originated.

QUOTE (FourthmemberofRush @ Apr 25 2011, 11:53 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 25 2011, 01:45 PM)

Don't be afraid to supply a 'for instance'. Then I will judge how interesting it is on a scale from 1 to 10.

Give us your best shot.

popcorn.gif

No thanks.

QUOTE (FourthmemberofRush @ Apr 25 2011, 03:21 PM)
Talk to 'BeOhBe Bob' about it, he said, 'no one uses hypens when writing "no one", i thought it was ironic, that Neil does, and he said it on a Rush site.

Do we have to submit our posts to the 'How Interesting is Our Posts' Nazis now ? Believe me, i have seen worse.

You mean your last few threads?

Archived