Discuss the meaning of

I just wanted to know if there is a good website to discuss conceptual pieces and concept albums like Thick as a Brick, Supper's Ready, and other classics as well as more obscure pieces like A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers.

If not, then this should be as good a place as any, and I say we discuss Supper's Ready first since I am listening to it.

I see it as a man's descent into absolute insanity...but I don't know much else tongue.gif

but seriously.....

you'll find a few explanations here.....

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&c...qw8V5NkmUjZGxrQ

and here!

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&c...X-jWsXT3Wmscwfg

I haven't a f*cking clue personally. It's not about the imminent arrival of supper and that's for sure.....unless supper is a metaphor for Armageddon.....hmmmmm(strokes non-existent beard and puffs on a Gitane)

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 21 2011, 09:31 AM)
but seriously.....

and here!

I haven't a f*cking clue personally. It's not about the imminent arrival of supper and that's for sure.....unless supper is a metaphor for Armageddon.....hmmmmm(strokes non-existent beard and puffs on a Gitane)

SongMeanings is a cool site. The discussions about Rush songs are surprisingly lackluster, but the ones for Tool songs are pretty good reading.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 21 2011, 08:39 AM)
but seriously.....

and here!

SongMeanings is a cool site. The discussions about Rush songs are surprisingly lackluster, but the ones for Tool songs are pretty good reading.

I think I've mainly got Tool figured out. I have more on Supper's ready buT I don't know how to say it.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 21 2011, 12:14 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 21 2011, 08:39 AM)
but seriously.....

and here!

I think I've mainly got Tool figured out. I have more on Supper's ready buT I don't know how to say it.

Say it in English. Russian translates badly in here.

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Apr 21 2011, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Apr 21 2011, 12:54 PM)
A Plague... is more or less about loneliness and isolation

I know this one like the back of my hand wub.gif

F***ing incredible masterpiece. Love the saxophones.

yes.gif Just getting into VDGG and I love this song.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 21 2011, 02:27 PM)

I don't think I will ever grow tired of this. It is mystical to me and a lyrical masterpiece, although depressing. I even like the crazy mashed up time signature part. Sometimes when bands do that it sounds like crap, but in this scenario, I can hear everything and every instrument speaks to me.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 21 2011, 02:39 PM)

I don't think I will ever grow tired of this. It is mystical to me and a lyrical masterpiece, although depressing. I even like the crazy mashed up time signature part. Sometimes when bands do that it sounds like crap, but in this scenario, I can hear everything and every instrument speaks to me.

I've been an avid 'prog fan' for almost 30 years now

Genesis, Yes, Rush, Miles (68-75), Tangerine Dream, King Crimson among my absolute favorites

that said I must confess - I've never heard note one from VDGG - until today

I've heard much mention about the band (most specifically 'Plague') - I was long overdue for a sample

I got about 2:08 in and had to shut it down

between the out of key drag-Bowie falsetto and the scream/yell gang choruses, I'm out

horrible

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 21 2011, 04:11 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Apr 21 2011, 02:39 PM)

Genesis, Yes, Rush, Miles (68-75), Tangerine Dream, King Crimson among my absolute favorites

I've heard much mention about the band (most specifically 'Plague') - I was long overdue for a sample

between the out of key drag-Bowie falsetto and the scream/yell gang choruses, I'm out

horrible

sad.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 21 2011, 05:11 PM)

horrible

It took me a while to get into VDGG, but now I'm a full-fledged fan. I find them complex and "frustratingly rewarding". Give it time, you might come around to it.

Pure punk prog. I like it!

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 21 2011, 05:01 PM)
^ 2:08 isn't the whole story, granted wink.gif

Yeah, it is frustrating at first...i know in some cases people absolutely abhor them and soon end up completely in love.

But be warned...there is stuff in Lighthouse that is even "worse" than what you heard.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 21 2011, 02:11 PM)

horrible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpTkImmOtiE&t=3m42s

I'll post my supper's ready stuff later because I've been busy with AP exams but there are definitely a lot of English references I'm not too familiar with so i have to do a lot of research. But who wants to do CttE?

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ May 3 2011, 05:29 PM)
CttE was based off Siddharta or whatever wasn't it?

Loosely, and I just finished rereading that masterpiece on Sunday. But feel free to tell more about what you think of it tongue.gif

I never even bother to try to figuare out Jon Anderson's lyrics. He has said that his lyrics are mostly just words and sounds that sound well together.

Looking forward to your interpetration. Its interesting to see how people interperet songs.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 3 2011, 05:57 PM)
I never even bother to try to figuare out Jon Anderson's lyrics. He has said that his lyrics are mostly just words and sounds that sound well together.

Looking forward to your interpetration. Its interesting to see how people interperet songs.

I know he said that but I read somewhere that he does this because he likes the listener to picture the imagery and have him/her interpret his/her own meaning of the song, which was always just loosely based on some concept. I gotta do Supper's ready first, but I'll come to this soon. Can't wait to discuss the lamb ohmy.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 21 2011, 09:39 AM)

SongMeanings is a cool site.

Love that site!

Archived