Cajun Food

sullysue

I love Cajun and Creole both (there are differences - Cajun has the sausage and tends to use more seafood, I think). I used to make a wicked good crawfish & chicken etouffee, but haven't had the occasion to since I married. (Husband hates seafood). sad.gif

I love Cajun food. There used to be a Cajun restaurant near my house that used to serve alligator. Talk about delicious. I can make a decent jambalaya too.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 12 2011, 12:04 PM)
I love Cajun food. There used to be a Cajun restaurant near my house that used to serve alligator. Talk about delicious. I can make a decent jambalaya too.

I'll pass on the gator after my one and only experience with it. I damn near needed a Heimlich after choking badly on a small sharp bone. I suspect what I had was badly prepared, but it was FULL of bones like the one that almost did me in.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 12 2011, 11:30 AM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 12 2011, 12:04 PM)
I love Cajun food.  There used to be a Cajun restaurant near my house that used to serve alligator.  Talk about delicious.  I can make a decent jambalaya too.

I'll pass on the gator after my one and only experience with it. I damn near needed a Heimlich after choking badly on a small sharp bone. I suspect what I had was badly prepared, but it was FULL of bones like the one that almost did me in.

The alligator I had was prepared like chicken nuggets. No bones. It was like a cross between lobster and chicken. Simply delicious.

QUOTE (garbo @ Apr 12 2011, 12:04 PM)
I feel like I live in it. Oh wait... I do.

wink.gif

And where might that be sha? confused13.gif

I made the etouffee on Friday. It turned out really great! It's one of those things that take a while to make, but the effort is completely worth it.

As far as alligator, I would be willing to give it a try. trink39.gif

My Grandfather was Cajun and I spent the first 5 years of my life in S. Louisiana. So, I have a bit of experience with it. But, and my Grandfather forgive me, I don't like bell pepper. So, one of the holy three of Cajun cooking is right out for me. But I still make a decent jambalaya. And gumbo. And dirty rice. cool.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 18 2011, 11:51 AM)
I love cajun food, gonna be at a Crawfish boil this weekend!!!!!!!!!

You're in Austin, right? That's not far for me. What time? laugh.gif

Seriously, when should I be there? unsure.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 18 2011, 06:16 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 18 2011, 11:51 AM)
I love cajun food, gonna be at a Crawfish boil this weekend!!!!!!!!!

You're in Austin, right? That's not far for me. What time? laugh.gif

Seriously, when should I be there? unsure.gif

Actually I'm going down to El Campo Tx... a little closer to the gulf... cannot wait!

Several Years back (when I was like 14 or 15) my Dad made some really good cajun smothered pork chops... with a roux and all... but nothing was written down and the method was lost..

My dad can cook some good cajun food, but he (nor I for that matter) do not have a drop of cajun in us... We are Bohemian here...

That's one thing I miss about my old hometown. Every year we had a giant crawfish boil. My aunt makes some of the best gumbo, only second to another family friend. I remember we had a bunch left over one year (we make a lot...otherwise, what's the point) and put it in the freezer. We forgot about it until two years later, but it actually tasted even better. Man, I miss home sometimes. Edited by ioc