Easter dinner

iluvgeddy05

I've got to differ on the Honey Baked Ham, and Jack Aubrey will back me up.

There are basically two points of view on HBH: that it's the most delicious thing in the world, or that a perfectly good ham has been ruined by dumping sugar all over it. I'm in the latter camp, and those of us who hate it REALLY hate it. I'd suggest finding out ahead of time if people like it.

There's always the other traditional Easter food, leg of lamb, but it can be expensive. Plus it's a pain to serve to a large crowd - half of them will want it still bleeding and the other half want it burnt to a crisp.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 7 2011, 01:27 PM)
You can't screw one of these up!

Honey Baked Ham

They are expensive, but damn they are good. All you need to do is heat them up at home.

We raised our own pigs and so we're fine with the meat smile.gif

How about a corn pudding as a side dish? It's easy (uses frozen corn), inexpensive, and quite yummy. There are a million different recipes for it on the web.

With ham, especially fresh ham, we always make Spanish Rice and Beans. We also make it as a side for lamb, which is what we are serving, as well as a small turkey. Not everyone likes lamb.

Dessert? A nice coconut cake always looks pretty. Someone in my family used to make it when we were kids, havent had it in ages.

I usually make a Lasagna to go with the ham, and some homemade scalloped potatoes.

laugh.gif at above!

I'm thinking scalloped potatoes, yes, maybe a crock pot recipie.

Good call Queen with the coconut cake!

I got a biscuit recipe too. I have to look through my BHG cookbook, aka the cooking Bible.

I'll be eating ham while others eat lamb. But I'll be eating with an Italian family - and they know how to cook!

For me, nothing says holidays like a baked ziti or a lasagna - a real one, no diet stuff no parboiled noodles, no canned sauce.

the relatives usually have ham, though...

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Apr 7 2011, 07:15 PM)

Good call Queen with the coconut cake!

I got a biscuit recipe too. I have to look through my BHG cookbook, aka the cooking Bible.

Glad I could inspire!

My cookbook bible is Betty Crocker...thing is dog eared and stained!

As per other suggestions, we always began the meal with a pasta dish...manicotti, ziti, lasagna...delish and a good choice. For us though we've eliminated it the past few years, because we make SO MUCH other food.

QUOTE (librarian @ Apr 8 2011, 11:10 AM)
For me, nothing says holidays like a baked ziti or a lasagna - a real one, no diet stuff no parboiled noodles, no canned sauce.

the relatives usually have ham, though...

i always like to find find room for a pasta dish. it may be too much for some but it makes for great leftovers and sending people home with something good like baked ziti or a penne all vodka.