Writing A Screenplay

Nate2112

Look up the cliches and stereotypes for sci-fi movies and avoid as many of them as you can. And make the aliens unique. Make them interesting! Don't hold anything back! (:

Also watch out for cliche dialogue and scenes. Ruined way too many movies with potential...

Just out of curiosity, are you doing this for April Script Frenzy? (It's the screenwriter's edition of "National Novel Writing Month", which is in November, also called NaNoWriMo.)

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Apr 5 2011, 06:01 PM)
Look up the cliches and stereotypes for sci-fi movies and avoid as many of them as you can. And make the aliens unique. Make them interesting! Don't hold anything back! (:
Also watch out for cliche dialogue and scenes. Ruined way too many movies with potential...

Just out of curiosity, are you doing this for April Script Frenzy? (It's the screenwriter's edition of "National Novel Writing Month", which is in November, also called NaNoWriMo.)

This. goodpost.gif

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Apr 6 2011, 08:01 AM)

I don't know about this. If someone is wanting to make a spoof/cliche of such alien movies then the knack would be to put every cliche in it as possible. Look at the success of Scream for example (yeah, I know it's not about aliens). It's not that I thought that was a great film, but it was built around every cliche the writers could think of. Also, check out Independence Day. I hated that film but there's no denying its success and all the sci-fi cliches it had...not to mention 2 very big Hollywood cliches: Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum.

Cloverfield (was that really an alien? who knows?) was a good example of taking a monster disaster fim cliche but keeping it very exciting and fun.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 6 2011, 02:59 AM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Apr 6 2011, 08:01 AM)

I don't know about this. If someone is wanting to make a spoof/cliche of such alien movies then the knack would be to put every cliche in it as possible. Look at the success of Scream for example (yeah, I know it's not about aliens). It's not that I thought that was a great film, but it was built around every cliche the writers could think of. Also, check out Independence Day. I hated that film but there's no denying its success and all the sci-fi cliches it had...not to mention 2 very big Hollywood cliches: Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum.

Cloverfield (was that really an alien? who knows?) was a good example of taking a monster disaster fim cliche but keeping it very exciting and fun.

He doesn't state whether or not he's making it a spoof (or does he confused13.gif ) but I agree with you Johnnyblaze. If he is making a spoof, then yeah, it's all about making the cliches stand out in fresh ways. However, if he is trying to write an original plot with aliens, it's gotta be devoid of cliche because one cliche can bring everything down. Say it is an epic story, but at the end, the guy tells the girl to go on without her, they have a cheesy "I'll always love you" moment, and everything is brought down. If it was pulled off correctly, by studying how not to do it, it would add a lot.

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Apr 5 2011, 03:02 PM)
I want to for an alien movie. Tips?

Illegal aliens?

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Apr 6 2011, 03:59 PM)
QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Apr 5 2011, 03:02 PM)
I want to for an alien movie. Tips?

Illegal aliens?

That's no fun. wink.gif

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Apr 5 2011, 04:52 PM)
Have aliens in it.

Yesss.

Ugh.

If you're actually serious, sign up for a class at a community college or a University and take a screenplay writing class. Even if you hate the class you at least get the software for free.

If you're not so serious, just buy the software. It ranges from the cheapest, which sucks ($70) to over $200. I love the really good software because it basically does everything for you and you just write. With the cheap software you have to go back and format everything so you do little writing and tons of editing and formatting.

Let the Wookie win.

Seriously, have you seen Free Enterprise?

It was cool the way they wrapped their story around the sci-fi universe and made something original, kind of like Swingers with geeks instead of actors. A fresh take like that would be cool.

Edited by Ancient Ways