Alan Parsons

Akron162

Sometimes, when i'm talking whit people about music, i come out whit this name, and very often nobody have even listened it before, but personally, i consider Alan Parsons one of the greatest composers in the history of rock. I Robot and Pyramid blow my head away the first time i lstened to them, and The Turn of a Friendly Card is an album that i can listen to every day. Not to mention he engineered the Abbey Road and The Dark Side of the Moon albums.

But tell me, do you like it, what do you think about him, do you konw him at least?

He's an awesome and influential engineer/producer, giving us those crisp clear sounds a'la Dark Side of the Moon.

Musically, I like his first four or five albums - fairly Proggy, with good lyrical themes. Each album has a "concept."

I really like The Alan Parsons Project...

I played I Robot today on vinyl and my 10 yr. old son was playing his drums to it. He gave me the thumbs up, but quickly asked me to put on some Green Day unsure.gif

Breakdown and I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You are timeless classics.

Alan Parsons Project Threads come up all the time. I've started many myself because I love this group.

When I was a kid I had to watch over the neighbor's house while they were gone on a trip. I had to water their plants and feed their dog.

However in the summer of 1982 I discovered this dude's incredible record collection.

I had the house to myself and put a bunch of his lps on his stereo. One of them that I fell in love with was "Eye In The Sky." I never looked back.

Of course after that I went for the back catalog too and loved it all.

That house watching job changed my life in 1982. I also fell in love with Blue Oyster Cult's "Fire Of Unknown Origin" that summer.

Never looked back.

The summer of 1982 was a good year for music in my teen-age mind at the time.

It was also the same year I bought "Black Tiger" by Y&T!

KICK ASS ROCK! 1022.gif

Like Earl it was Eye In The Sky that turned me on to APP. Old & Wise and Sirius in particular. In 1984, he returned home from a tour of duty in Lebanon, suitcase full of cassettes. The cover of Eye grabbed me, it seemed exotic to my 13 year old brain. Really got into APP after that, bought Ammonia Avenue later on that year and Vulture Culture in 85. Lost interest as I got older, but now that I am old(but not wise, oh no), really getting into APP again, esp the the earlier stuff.

I'm somewhere between casual fan and big fan. I have quite a few albums by APP and everytime I listen I am more impressed. I can appreciate the perfection he strives for in the production of his music. I will say that not every song blows me away but I can appreciate most APP albums as a whole. My life wouldn't be less fulfilling if I never heard his music ever again, but every once in a while I like breaking out an LP or two. Good late night chill out music.

Archived