Gary Moore RIP

New Digital Man

It pains me to write this but the great Gary Moore has passed away. He was one of my premier inspirations in guitar playing. Like all young lads in the early 90's I was given a copy of Still Got the Blues. It blew me away.. His tone a phrasing were perfect. Gary opened up the door for me and a lot of other blues rock guitarist. He was a legend, a musical titan and a very nice man. I only met him twice and he always joked around with me how my records changed style from one song to the next. He also.. said that he enjoyed my work and congratulated me on the success I was having. He was a class act and a true original.. Ireland has lost another of its most talented sons today.. I am still a bit in shock so .. I apologize if my words are not as eloquent as they should be.. I have brought out the "Gary Moore" les paul... ( i named one of my guitars after him) and have been playing his stuff today..

Rest in peace.. GM

Joe Bonamassa

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit more from Joe:

"That was the record that did it for me," Joe Bonamassa told MusicRadar after being informed of Moore's death. The young blues-rock star, who has made a considerable name for himself as a solo artist and as a member of the supergroup Black Country Communion, said that hearing Still Got The Blues made him realize that it was "cool to be a Les Paul hero. This was when a lot of people were playing Strats. Man, I couldn't get over that album. Gary played with unbelievable fire and passion."

Bonamassa met Moore on a couple of occasions in recent years. Recalling their first encounter, which took place backstage during a festival show, he said, "I saw him and thought, This might be my only chance. So I went up to him and said, 'Hi, I'm Joe Bonamassa, and I owe you a lot of royalties from the riffs I stole from you.' He shook my hand and said, 'No problem, I illegally downloaded all of your albums!' He said it in a joking way, but I knew he was serious - and that was fine, because he was Gary Moore. I wouldn't be doing what I do if it wasn't for him. I'm sure I'm not the only person who can say that."

Bonamassa even named one of his Les Pauls after the Irish guitarist. "It's a '59 reissue that I play the song Sloe Gin on. Every time I play it, I think of Gary Moore."

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Feb 13 2011, 09:43 PM)
Sad story. Just a real shame. Talented, and nice guy just trying to enjoy his life.... why him? There are a lot non-talent popstars out there. why not one of them?

True, and in the last 9 months we've lost Dio, Gerry Rafferty and now Gary...

sad.gif

"He was a quiet soul who spoke through his axe louder. He may have spoken louder in other places but I only heard his guitar speaking. I know that Gary worked wonderfully with Greg Lake on his solo albums and Gary and I worked on a couple of my Christmas Album tracks with a bunch of great school kids from West Park School in Sussex with Ian Paice (Deep Purple) on drums. The kids were great, in awe of it all, and I ordered hamburgers for them before they all got on the bus back to Sussex.

Gary took it all into his stride. I can't confess knowing Gary that well, as most musicians try and choose to know each other by many telegraphic means. A chord here, a note there will sometimes work to communicate more than words can ever do.

Gary certainly worked the wonders of music for everyone and that is most important"

With Respect,

To Gary's family and friends.

Rest now.

Keith Emerson

I am deeply saddened to hear about the passing of Gary Moore. Gary was not only a fellow musician but also a soul mate; ever since he played in my solo band we developed a special bond and I will miss him dearly.

May he rest in peace.

Greg Lake.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Mar 2 2011, 03:14 AM)
Holy crap, I need this more than ever now drool1.gif 1022.gif

http://www.heavymetalweb.net/shop_tienda/s...product_id=1082

Does anyone have this? I have seen it countless times and still love his playing from this era. I could never get any fellow metalheads into this back in the day which is still confounding wacko.gif

Not seen that before...

boarder.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 2 2011, 09:18 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Mar 2 2011, 03:14 AM)
Holy crap, I need this more than ever now  drool1.gif  1022.gif

http://www.heavymetalweb.net/shop_tienda/s...product_id=1082

Does anyone have this?  I have seen it countless times and still love his playing from this era.  I could never get any fellow metalheads into this back in the day which is still confounding  wacko.gif

Not seen that before...

boarder.gif

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif Shocking!! Of all people!!! Damn. Well sample some youtube immediately and get back bud. Farout, I'm gonna go lie down now after that ohmy.gif

Archived