Gary Moore RIP

New Digital Man

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very sad, indeed...my heart and prayers go out to his family...fine guitar player.

I just got tickets for the current Thin Lizzy line-up for their upcoming gig in NYC and picked up "Jailbreak," "Johnny the Fox" and "Live and Dangerous" Deluxe Editions.

Been on a Thin Lizzy spree...

...and then this, very sad.

Rest in Peace and thanks for sharing your gift Gary.

TANK members Mick Tucker and Cliff Evans have paid their respects to guitar legend Gary Moore who died yesterday at the age of 58.

Commented Mick: "I am totally shocked at this news. It's a great loss. He was one of the best guitar players on the planet and will be missed by the whole world. So sad. Respect to a great musician."

Added Cliff: "Gary Moore was the guitarist that other guitar heroes looked up to. He was the master of many styles of playing and a genuinely nice person who always remained approachable throughout his career. He is one of the main reasons why I picked up a guitar all those years ago and his playing still inspires me to the same degree today. A great, great loss. R.I.P., Gary Moore."

Steve Lukather on Gary Moore's passing:

"The world lost a Giant... Gary Moore. I was a fan for sure. Amazing touch and chops... whew... fire! I had the honor of sharing the bill with him in 2001 at Montreux Jazz Festival. I was with Larry Carlton at the time... he was such a nice guy and a MONSTER player. He will be missed. Man... this stuff is happening WAY too much for me."

From Brianmay.com:

Surely not ...

This seems completely unreal. I'm shocked to hear tonight that Gary Moore has died.

What a wonderful player he was. It does not seem possible this is in the past. Well, his recordings will testify forever. But ... live ... he was a demon.

I know, because we toured with Thin Lizzy all around the States, many years ago. Gary was awesome every night ... and the nicest guy you could imagine.

I have many memories - of visiting him in the studio, meeting him backstage, being staggered by his virtuosity in his solo gigs.

Well, lost for words. Bless ya Gary, wherever you're bound. To Rock Heaven, I hope. 58? You were just a boy. Unbelievable. This is too sad.

RIP Gary Moore.

Brian

Impressive the names of those who've payed tribute. I must admit to not being very familiar with a lot of Moore's music. However the fact that he had been able to form a rather close relationship with Peter Green already had earned him a ton of respect in my book. Heart attack at 58....damn shame. rose.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 10 2011, 07:35 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 8 2011, 08:46 AM)
Preliminary autopsy report indicates Gary died of a heart attack.

The Sun, classy rag that it is, claimed he choked on his sick. They'd have loved that to be true. Wankers.

Aye

angry.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 10 2011, 07:38 AM)
From Brianmay.com:

Surely not ...

This seems completely unreal. I'm shocked to hear tonight that Gary Moore has died.

What a wonderful player he was. It does not seem possible this is in the past. Well, his recordings will testify forever. But ... live ... he was a demon.

I know, because we toured with Thin Lizzy all around the States, many years ago. Gary was awesome every night ... and the nicest guy you could imagine.

I have many memories - of visiting him in the studio, meeting him backstage, being staggered by his virtuosity in his solo gigs.

Well, lost for words. Bless ya Gary, wherever you're bound. To Rock Heaven, I hope. 58? You were just a boy. Unbelievable. This is too sad.

RIP Gary Moore.

Brian

Another nice tribute.

I think Gary has amassed as many big name tributes as Ronnie James Dio.

OZZY OSBOURNE/FIREWIND guitarist Gus G. (real name: Kostas Karamitroudis) has released the following statement regarding the passing of former THIN LIZZY guitarist, noted session player, and blues rock icon Gary Moore:

"I'm very saddened by Gary Moore's passing. We've lost one of the greats.

His guitar style has heavily influenced me and I was lucky enough to see him live when he played in Greece for the first time back in 2008. I don't think I've ever heard more soulful playing and tone than Gary's.

"As one of your biggest fans, thank you for the great music you gave us, Gary Moore. R.I.P."

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 10 2011, 04:06 PM)
For a man oft-best described as "difficult", his peers certainly thought highly of him, as a man and a player.

I've never seen any evidence of him being difficult. Of course who knows what goes on behind the secenes but I watched a few interviews with him last night and he seemed cheerful and accommodating in all of them.

And yeah it's amazing how many people are giving him respect.

GARY MOORE

by Michael Corby

I am reeling in the tragic news of the sudden loss of my old friend, Gary Moore. I knew Gary since he was only fifteen years of age and on occasion I jammed with him both at his home and also at mine. He never failed to reduce my guitar-playing efforts to a mere cacophony by comparison to his magnificent playing and yet he would declare that there was nothing at all that he could ever teach me. That, is how ludicrously generous he really was.

Gary stayed at my home in Hollywood just after I had left The Babys back in 1979 and the last time we met the pair of us went out for dinner at a very expensive Cantonese restaurant in Covent Garden, down in London, England. Needless to say, we were asked to leave after a short while as we had both had far too much to drink. We kept using all sorts of unrestrained profanities in our loud and somewhat enthusiastic discussions about music and some of our contempories, which seemed to upset several of the rather conservative customers who were sitting in our immediate vicinity and who were trying hopelessly to enjoy a civilised night out. After apologising profusely on at least two occasions to the management at the restaurant we soon carried on 'effing and blinding' again as it didn't take more than a few minutes to forget our sincerely made promise to behave ourselves and we quickly got back to discussing the brilliance of Jeff Beck whom I had just had the incredible honour of introducing him to, only half an hour earlier, at a Kinks gig. Needless to say, the more we reminded ourselves of Jeff's formidable talent, the more we found ourselves returning to using unacceptable language again.

I shall miss him intensely for as long as I live and I will never forget his deeply treasured friendship. All of these many memories I hold of him will be with me forever and I cannot think of any of them that do not make me smile, if not burst out laughing. He had a brutally funny sense of humour, believe me.

It goes without saying that my heart goes out to his loved ones and also to the many friends he accumulated over his brilliant and yet tragically short life. His work will justifiably live on for many decades if not much longer.

Gary is now 'over the hills and far away,' and it is time for us all to mourn the indisputably greatest electric blues guitarist that ever lived.

See you further down the road, Gary.

Bravo Gary. Bravo!

Corby

Ive never owned any Gary Moore music before, until about a month ago. I bought a huge lot of records and 2 of them are Gary Moore: Corridoors Of Power & Back On The Streets. I broke them out and heard them for the first time today. I might hafta look more into his music.

Alex Lifeson of Canadian rock veterans RUSH has released the following statement to Classic Rock Revisited regarding the passing of legendary guitarist Gary Moore:

"I was very saddened to hear the news of Gary's death. We toured together in the '80s and I remember him as a soft-spoken, gentle man with a quick smile. His influence as a guitarist is undeniable and his purity of playing and passion will live on in all of us who love the instrument he so cherished."

cool.gif

Doug Aldrich (WHITESNAKE, ex-DIO) has released the following statement to Classic Rock Revisited regarding the passing of former THIN LIZZY guitarist, noted session player, and blues rock icon Gary Moore:

"I spent today rediscovering some of the work he did. Nobody ever played with more emotion than Gary Moore. He played with unmatched soul and melody. But he was also by far THE most ferocious, fearless and intense player I ever heard. No question.

"His playing made a huge impact on me.

"I had the opportunity to see him play several times while on tour. I remember me and Reb [beach, WHITESNAKE/WINGER guitarist] listening to him warm up... It was awesome!

"Not only was he one of the all-time great guitarists right up there with guys like [Jimi] Hendrix and [Randy] Rhoads, but his voice was righteous and pure."

Archived