Gary Moore RIP

New Digital Man

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Feb 6 2011, 02:45 PM)
I always loved that song, "cars" that he did. Great song, thank you Gary.

disrespect no.gif

gary was one of the greats,just as adept at playing the blues as rock

rip gary rose.gif

Gemini, That was Gary Numan.

This is Gary Moore...

Such beauty in his playing and interpretation. So much beauty it brings me to tears.

May Gary Moore rest in peace rose.gif

Only just heard - so sorry to hear of yet another death... sad.gif

Gary Moore:

Over The Hills And Far Away

Wild Frontier

Parisienne Walkways

Dancin'

With Thin Lizzy:

The Boys Are Back In Town

Whiskey In The Jar

So many great songs.

Rest in peace, Gary... rose.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Feb 6 2011, 05:06 PM)
Only just heard - so sorry to hear of yet another death... sad.gif

Gary Moore:
Wild Frontier
Parisienne Walkways
Dancin'

With Thin Lizzy:
Whiskey In The Jar

So many great songs.

Rest in peace, Gary... rose.gif

No, Gary didn't play on Whiskey in the Jar, that was Eric Bell...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 6 2011, 10:09 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Feb 6 2011, 05:06 PM)
Only just heard - so sorry to hear of yet another death...  sad.gif

Gary Moore:
Wild Frontier
Parisienne Walkways
Dancin'

With Thin Lizzy:
Whiskey In The Jar

So many great songs.

Rest in peace, Gary...  rose.gif

No, Gary didn't play on Whiskey in the Jar, that was Eric Bell...

My mistake. Sorry...

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Feb 6 2011, 03:43 PM)

Gemini, That was Gary Numan.

This is Gary Moore...

Such beauty in his playing and interpretation. So much beauty it brings me to tears.

May Gary Moore rest in peace rose.gif

Oops, sorry. It's been a long time!

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Feb 6 2011, 05:35 PM)
If it wasn't for Gary Moore, Rush would not have worked with Peter Collins.

Peter Collins - Sound On Sound Interview 2002

Good find mate...

Here's the pertinent quote:

"I produced a track for Gary Moore, who was opening up for Rush in 1984-85, and as a result of that I got a gig with Rush. I did the Power Windows album."

Man oh man... I just had an 'Oh No' moment when I read the title of this thread.

I used to have a tape of Corridors of Power (an excellent post-Lizzy album of his), which I used to play at unfeasibly loud volume, in between airings of Permanent Waves and other Rush classics, back in the early-mid eighties, driving my first car on that fantastic stretch of road between Aylesbury and Northampton (I was studying for my degree around that time in Northampton).

Loved that album - great memories - and I still think that his cover of Wishing Well was streets ahead of the original. For me, Moore was to the British rock guitar-sound as Eddie Van Halen is/was to the American equivalent. A friend of mine and I saw him play once in Leicester - I remember it well because the venue was so damn hot, and my friend lost his car keys (temporarily, thank God).

Moore was a truly sensational guitarist, one of the best blues/rock guitarists ever to emerge from the British rock scene, and I am moved and saddened by his passing. So young too - hell, he was only ten years older than me.

I also have still, somewhere, a VHS recording of him playing live on The Old Grey Whistle test (for those from other lands: a much-respected contemporary music programme on BBC 2, now defunct sadly), in which a young guitarist with a Duran Duran haircut was interviewed about the album that he and his band had just released. During the interview, said guitarist mentioned how his band and Gary Moore had toured together.

The name of that guitarist? Alex Lifeson.

The name of the band... well, we all know that one...

RIP Gary, and thanks for the thrill mate - thinking of you.

rose.gif

QUOTE (Undemanding Contact @ Feb 6 2011, 09:40 PM)
Man oh man... I just had an 'Oh No' moment when I read the title of this thread.

I used to have a tape of Corridors of Power (an excellent post-Lizzy album of his), which I used to play at unfeasibly loud volume, in between airings of Permanent Waves and other Rush classics, back in the early-mid eighties, driving my first car on that fantastic stretch of road between Aylesbury and Northampton (I was studying for my degree around that time in Northampton).

Loved that album - great memories - and I still think that his cover of Wishing Well was streets ahead of the original. For me, Moore was to the British rock guitar-sound as Eddie Van Halen is/was to the American equivalent. A friend of mine and I saw him play once in Leicester - I remember it well because the venue was so damn hot, and my friend lost his car keys (temporarily, thank God).

Moore was a truly sensational guitarist, one of the best blues/rock guitarists ever to emerge from the British rock scene, and I am moved and saddened by his passing. So young too - hell, he was only ten years older than me.

I also have still, somewhere, a VHS recording of him playing live on The Old Grey Whistle test (for those from other lands: a much-respected contemporary music programme on BBC 2, now defunct sadly), in which a young guitarist with a Duran Duran haircut was interviewed about the album that he and his band had just released. During the interview, said guitarist mentioned how his band and Gary Moore had toured together.

The name of that guitarist? Alex Lifeson.

The name of the band... well, we all know that one...

RIP Gary, and thanks for the thrill mate - thinking of you.

rose.gif

goodpost.gif

dang.....

I thought this thread was a mistake at first. sadly its not eh.gif

Gary will truly be missed I loved his solo work as well as his work with Thin Lizzy of course. Great musician, all around great guy. really sad.

why do all the greats have to die?

RIP Gary I will be cranking his music all day tomorrow

had only heard the news this morning as i was re-watching a peter green documentary on bbc4 (when i was looking at the bbc digital service news)am truly sad to hear of his passing.the guy was and always will be a legend to me (i remember buying and listening to after hours/still got the blues/blues alive albums,along with the thin lizzy stuff he did.was totally knocked back by his playing (absolutely love how he incorporated blues/rock/jazz e.t.c into his playing.an extreme pedal to the metal player.you could always tell that he was giving it full beans!!! my condolences to his family/friends/fans,gary you will be sadly missed. sad.gif

"So, Phil, what happens now?"

"Well, I've called Cozy and Bon and they're coming over for a jam.

That's what we do here mostly ... jam."

"Cool. I think I'm going to like it here."

If there's any justice that's how it should be.

R.I.P Gary.

Archived