An Idiot Abroad

Lost In Xanadu

My wife's a big Gervais fan so we never miss his show. We also watched the first ep of Idiot and pretty much laughed ourselves silly! laugh.gif

I think Gervais is funny most of the time, but I also get the sense that he's just a really cruel guy and I've never cared for that type. I love his comedy but I don't like him at all as a man.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 25 2011, 03:44 PM)
I think Gervais is funny most of the time, but I also get the sense that he's just a really cruel guy and I've never cared for that type. I love his comedy but I don't like him at all as a man.

Nailed it. I completely agree with this.

Of course Gervais is barely in the show and when he is in it he's bloody annoying with that inane "trademark" laugh.

Karl Pilkington, on the other hand, is sensational. Some of it is staged obviously but I love the way he tells it like it is. Not so much an idiot abroad just a typical Northerner.

The scene in the Indian hotel with the "en suite shed" still cracks me up despite having watched it 4 or 5 times.

The more I watch this show, the more it appears that Ricky Jervais is just a mean asshole. Some of the stuff he does is just to be mean and make himself laugh. Like sending Karl nonsense text messages just because he knows it costs him to read them

A truly hilarious show, but I sometimes feel bad for Karl if thats the way he really thinks of culture and whatnot.

This is a man who is afraid of anything that is unfamiliar (apparently)a close friend of gervais

He is strictly steak and spuds and that is why its so comical to see him out of his comfort zone.

Yes,i agree most of the situations are staged but it'still hilarious tongue.gif

Finally got a chance to watch this last weekend and loved it.

Karl is very funny. Something tells me that he has just as many funny and pointed comments while traveling around his own hometown since he seems unlikely to enjoy anything other than his favourite pub. I loved his comment that it is better to live in the shack across from a mansion since you will enjoy the view while the people in the mansion have to stare at his ugly shack.