It's been 30 years......

The Owl

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Dec 8 2010, 05:42 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 8 2010, 03:57 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Dec 8 2010, 01:21 PM)
I think it's best if we move on and bury this thread. We are living in the past and that can be scary

How thoughtful of you................

Thanks. You seem to be the only one who gets what I'm saying

I believe he was being sarcastic boyo...

wink.gif

I wasn't even a glimmer in my parents eyes as I was born in '87 but I grew up knowing The Beatles and Lennon my whole life so I'm a pretty big fan at my young age. I should really ask my parents what they were doing or how they heard about it the day it happened.....I always wonder if Lennon was still alive...what would he be doing now? He'd be 70 in this day and age. Would he still be making music or would he just be settled down somewhere nice with Yoko...who knows and we'll never know....Its such a sad thing that we lost such a great man too soon...RIP John Lennon...you are greatly missed rose.gif

I was 11.

and I was at my friends house and there was a football game on and they said it over the air. ohmy.gif

I just remember saying, Oh wow, why would someone do that to him?

The music, thank you for the music. That's all I have to say. John Lennon, like all of us, was a walking contradiction, but he did one thing better than most - he wrote and sang great songs. One of the very best at what he did and my favorite of the bunch.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 8 2010, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Dec 8 2010, 06:21 PM)
I think it's best if we move on and bury this thread. We are living in the past and that can be scary

Great White sharks are scary.

Walking in a graveyard at night is scary.

Juggling knives while naked is scary, and dangerous.

Remembering one of the greatest musical icons of our, or any generation, isn't.

laugh.gif

In light of this tragedy of years ago, I think we can all appreciate the Beatles are still considered by many the greatest band of all time. People of all ages, from my age to my grandparents, still listen and love their music. John Lennon, in particular, will never be forgotten -- not for his assassination, but for what he did for the music scene.

People are never truly dead until their memory is...

QUOTE (Natch @ Dec 8 2010, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Dec 8 2010, 01:21 PM)

I don't think we're living in the past. I would say that we're remembering someone who touched our lives in some way.

I was 12 at the time, and a big Beatles fan. I had a bunch of Beatles records that my uncle gave to me, and it was pretty much the only music I played regularly. At the time, I was hoping The Beatles would get back together. I really thought it would happen one day.

I woke up on the morning of Tuesday, December 9, 1980, and walked into the living room. I was so confused. Why would someone want to kill John Lennon? He was a peaceful man who wrote beautiful music! I couldn't believe it. I began to feel angry and hurt. I just didn't understand. I still don't.

It still makes me sad to this day.

That pretty much sums up my feelings exactly. It was such a terrible waste. It's hard not to think about how much he could've accomplished not only musically but for the world in general over the last 30 years. I honestly believe The Beatles would have been convinced to reunite for the Live Aid concert in '85.

30 years- just 10 years short of his lifespan. From the time I became aware of him as a youngster until the day he died- that was only about 10 years, and he's been gone 30. It can boggle the mind how fast time goes. 1980 seems ancient in a way, it's been so long. I was brought up on The Beatles, from my dad's 4 track tapes of Hey Jude and Abbey Road, not long after they were released. Still got them Apple reel to reels. And my dad's player too. But anyway.

Sometimes it hurts more than other years. This anni got probably the most coverage I've ever seen from the media, I guess obviously because of it's now 30 years, but that's nice I think that he's still remembered in a big way like he is. It was an unspeakable tragedy. A baby and son and a wife left behind. Countless friends and fans. A musical genius, brimming with creativity and hopes and dreams, and big plans for the future- cut down when everything was going right in his life. Cut down when he was so happy. When so much was about to be accomplished.

If you haven't bought Double Fantasy Stripped, I really recommend it. You can hear things you never did. Hear Johns voice in front. I always thought he had such amazing vocal abilities. You could really feel his emotion in his singing. And I say as a complement that I have this sense that he had vocal potentials that had not yet been fully explored or realized. The album has some of his best singing, and can be an emotional listen for me because you hear the hope and the love and know what was about to come. And yet, I think it's my favorite Lennon album nowadays.

Anyway, it seems with each anni you learn something new about the man. It makes you miss him a little bit more, and wish the world could have had him a while longer cause he made it so much better by being here.

trink38.gif

Archived