The Cleveland Browns...

Presto-a RUSH fan!

FWIW wikipedia says Pettine is hired.......

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Mike_Pettine

What do you think of this hire? Is he any good? Did he help the Jets and the Bills? Is he the right man to bring in a new quarterback and help Josh Gordon??

One thing I will say the Browns have a lot of good young players in lots of positions, OT, CB, D-line, WR, TE. This could turn into a good team with the right coach/GM.

He seems to be very innovative as a DC, he was good for jets and bills. Bills force tons of sacks and picks (offense doesnt help their yards/points per game)

I know firing a coach after 1 year is bad mojo, but there has been so much bad press around the browns I think front office will actually really use the cap room on FA, also tons of picks. I also think they will give him 3 years no matter what

Chud must have made a bad impression to get canned after less than a year...

I caught the end of Pettine press conference on rebroadcast last night coming home from work. And the word that's been often described he has a no nonsense approach. And that was reflected in the news conference not a man with many words and said himself wasn't comfortable at the podium wanted get out of his suit and get to work. On the brief time I heard him what he did say made me feel that of all the rejections and possible other choices that the Browns could've ended up with. Mike Pettine seems this early on, to be the correct choice.

Even if his daughter not exactly thrilled with dad coaching " the browns" tweet in lower case.. :LOL:

The Cleveland Browns will hire Kyle Shanahan as their new offensive coordinator, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Shanahan had been the offensive coordinator for the last four seasons under his father, Mike Shanahan, with the Washington Redskins.

The younger Shanahan also was the offensive coordinator for the Houston Texans under Gary Kubiak; he was the NFL's youngest coordinator in 2008 at 28 years old.

A team source told ESPN that while Shanahan "did well" in his interview for the position, the Browns do still plan still plan to conduct more interviews.

"We have interviewed four people," the source told ESPN. "[The] plan now is still to interview either one or two more. Would be surprised if that changes. He did well, and has a real chance, but others have also done well."

The Redskins fired both Shanahans on Dec. 30, one day after completing a 3-13 season.

Kyle Shanahan would replace Norv Turner, who presided over the NFL's 18th-ranked offense in his one season as the Browns' offensive coordinator.

The Browns fired offensive-minded head coach Rob Chudzinski after one season and replaced him with Mike Pettine, the former Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10387528/kyle-shanahan-hired-cleveland-browns-offensive-coordinator

http://www.cleveland...ncart_big-photo .... I can't keep up, all i can say thought both of them Grumpy (Banner) & Dopey (Lombardi) were clueless so guess this was a good thing? Ray Farmer new GM ... Numb at this point, all that is absolutely clear is Haslam has been and is the mover & shaker in all of this ongoing turmoil. Keeps on contradicting himself to the fans in press conferences showing confidence in the people he has hired and what plan? ... they have in place, just grabbing at straws & knee jerk reactions... :huh: Edited by softfilter
  • Like 1

http://www.cleveland...ncart_big-photo .... I can't keep up, all i can say thought both of them Grumpy (Banner) & Dopey (Lombardi) were clueless so guess this was a good thing? Ray Farmer new GM ... Numb at this point, all that is absolutely clear is Haslam has been and is the mover & shaker in all of this ongoing turmoil. Keeps on contradicting himself to the fans in press conferences showing confidence in the people he has hired and what plan? ... they have in place, just grabbing at straws & knee jerk reactions... :huh:

What the hell is going on with the Browns these days? Does Lombardi and Banner firing put Pettine on the chopping block some time in the near future? It's endless!

• Like 1

http://www.cleveland...ncart_big-photo .... I can't keep up, all i can say thought both of them Grumpy (Banner) & Dopey (Lombardi) were clueless so guess this was a good thing? Ray Farmer new GM ... Numb at this point, all that is absolutely clear is Haslam has been and is the mover & shaker in all of this ongoing turmoil. Keeps on contradicting himself to the fans in press conferences showing confidence in the people he has hired and what plan? ... they have in place, just grabbing at straws & knee jerk reactions... :huh:

What the hell is going on with the Browns these days? Does Lombardi and Banner firing put Pettine on the chopping block some time in the near future? It's endless!

It really is, Haslam & Banner were at the Pettine press conference ( curious Lombardi absent) Like i said, Haslam doesn't exactly exude confidence that there's a core plan direction in place for the Browns. Everytime you think ok here's the pieces in place this is the tools were working with lets see what happens.. Then, nah don't like that let's blow it up again... :crazy:

It really is, Haslam & Banner were at the Pettine press conference ( curious Lombardi absent) Like i said, Haslam doesn't exactly exude confidence that there's a core plan direction in place for the Browns. Everytime you think ok here's the pieces in place this is the tools were working with lets see what happens.. Then, nah don't like that let's blow it up again... :crazy:

Who's actually in charge now and responsible for the latest firings?

The way it's going Pettine will be fired by the new GM next season and whichever QB gets drafted in 2014 will cut by the the next head coach the year after! It's ridiculous!

Maybe Jimmy Haslam should sell the team to Ted Stepien..that guy could run a team...

Is that guy still alive? If not, so much the better (for the team though not for him...)

Maybe Jimmy Haslam should sell the team to Ted Stepien..that guy could run a team...

Is that guy still alive? If not, so much the better (for the team though not for him...)

He's dead.

Ted Stepien what horrid memories that brings back, Your being sarcastic I hope... "that guy could run a team" into the ground that is! lol The Cavs fight song was a polka and our great long time radio play by play announcer Joe Tait quit or was fired depending on who's telling the story. Returned when the Gunds became the new owners of the Cavaliers.... On the Browns latest continued soap opera, I find the majority of Browns fans ( including myself) happy that Banner & Lombardi have been removed. Never were either held in high regard right from the start most still remember Lombardi's first failure here and his underhanded dealing of the popular Bernie Kosar. It's all unsettling to say the least, but once again at least this month :eyeroll: Willing to see if all of this pans out into something positive. Hell ,what choice do we have???? I will say like Pettine's news conference , Ray Farmer seems to be cut from the same cloth a no nonsense guy and was honest, enthusiastic and to the point carried self confidence and made it clear winning football games is the sole priority needed to change the culture here...Sounds good best of luck we've been waiting and the stop watch is ticking... ;)

He's dead.

Ted Stepien what horrid memories that brings back, Your being sarcastic I hope... "that guy could run a team" into the ground that is! lol The Cavs fight song was a polka and our great long time radio play by play announcer Joe Tait quit or was fired depending on who's telling the story. Returned when the Gunds became the new owners of the Cavaliers.... On the Browns latest continued soap opera, I find the majority of Browns fans ( including myself) happy that Banner & Lombardi have been removed. Never were either held in high regard right from the start most still remember Lombardi's first failure here and his underhanded dealing of the popular Bernie Kosar. It's all unsettling to say the least, but once again at least this month :eyeroll: Willing to see if all of this pans out into something positive. Hell ,what choice do we have???? I will say like Pettine's news conference , Ray Farmer seems to be cut from the same cloth a no nonsense guy and was honest, enthusiastic and to the point carried self confidence and made it clear winning football games is the sole priority needed to change the culture here...Sounds good best of luck we've been waiting and the stop watch is ticking... ;)

Yeah, I was joking about Stepien...the NBA Commissioner kept him from making trades he was so incompetent.

• Like 1

I wish the NBA commissioner would've intervened to stop Dan Gilbert & Chris Grant from draft & trade stupidity ..Grant's gone but the damage is done...

I wish the NBA commissioner would've intervened to stop Dan Gilbert & Chris Grant from draft & trade stupidity ..Grant's gone but the damage is done...

I don't know why but your post brought this to mind.

Not sure I buy this but it's an interesting idea...

The Cleveland Browns, who only served to bolster their reputation as a mess of an organization with their 'methodical' coaching search and their subsequent front-office shake up, may have came close to turning the football world on its head, if a report by ProFootballTalk.com is correct.

According to the website, the Browns "nearly pulled off a trade" that would have brought San Francisco coach Jim Harbaugh to Cleveland to take the same position there in exchange for draft picks. The only reason the deal fell apart was that Harbuagh decided not to leave the 49ers.

Acquiring Harbaugh would've sent shockwaves throught the NFL— after all, it isn't every day that a successful coach for a team that's currently one of the most talented in the league suddenly bolts for another franchise, especially one considered among the more dysfunctional in the league. (Though there is a somewhat similar precedent in the 2002 trade of coach Jon Gruden from the Raiders to the Buccaneers.)

That's why it's not surprising in the least that this deal was never ultimatley consummated. But it still raises several questions. First, was Harbaugh ever seriously considering accepting the deal, and if so, why? One possible reason, as PFT mentioned, is the trade would've put him in the same division as his brother John, the Ravens' coach, but that could be viewed as a positive or a negative.

Second, what exactly was San Francisco's reasoning if ownership did indeed want this deal done? While Harbaugh hasn't been able to get the 49ers over the Super Bowl hump just yet, he's been extremely successful in his three seasons with San Francisco and is generally regarded as one of the top coaches in the league. Even if the return from the Browns would've been immense — which is unclear at this point — it still would be a highly questionable move to trade a coach of Harbaugh's caliber.

Those questions about the relationship between Harbuagh and 49ers' brass may persist in the wake of this report, but on Cleveland's end, the team has certainly moved on, having eventually hired Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine to be the team's head coach. He faces the tall task of, well, pulling a Jim Harbaugh by turning around a struggling franchise in the Browns.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-02-21/jim-harbaugh-cleveland-browns-nfl-san-francisco-49ers-coaching-search-mike-pettine-scouting-combine?eadid=SOC/Twi/SNMain

The Cleveland Browns, who only served to bolster their reputation as a mess of an organization with their 'methodical' coaching search and their subsequent front-office shake up, may have came close to turning the football world on its head, if a report by ProFootballTalk.com is correct.

According to the website, the Browns "nearly pulled off a trade" that would have brought San Francisco coach Jim Harbaugh to Cleveland to take the same position there in exchange for draft picks. The only reason the deal fell apart was that Harbuagh decided not to leave the 49ers.

Acquiring Harbaugh would've sent shockwaves throught the NFL— after all, it isn't every day that a successful coach for a team that's currently one of the most talented in the league suddenly bolts for another franchise, especially one considered among the more dysfunctional in the league. (Though there is a somewhat similar precedent in the 2002 trade of coach Jon Gruden from the Raiders to the Buccaneers.)

That's why it's not surprising in the least that this deal was never ultimatley consummated. But it still raises several questions. First, was Harbaugh ever seriously considering accepting the deal, and if so, why? One possible reason, as PFT mentioned, is the trade would've put him in the same division as his brother John, the Ravens' coach, but that could be viewed as a positive or a negative.

Second, what exactly was San Francisco's reasoning if ownership did indeed want this deal done? While Harbaugh hasn't been able to get the 49ers over the Super Bowl hump just yet, he's been extremely successful in his three seasons with San Francisco and is generally regarded as one of the top coaches in the league. Even if the return from the Browns would've been immense — which is unclear at this point — it still would be a highly questionable move to trade a coach of Harbaugh's caliber.

Those questions about the relationship between Harbuagh and 49ers' brass may persist in the wake of this report, but on Cleveland's end, the team has certainly moved on, having eventually hired Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine to be the team's head coach. He faces the tall task of, well, pulling a Jim Harbaugh by turning around a struggling franchise in the Browns.

http://www.sportingn...=SOC/Twi/SNMain

I don't see why Hairball would take the job, and like it says I doubt he'd want to face his bro twice a year...

The Browns are always doing curious things...

http://www.sportingn...=SOC/Twi/SNMain

I don't believe it for a second. :no:

Report: Harbaugh’s future with 49ers remains uncertain

Posted by Josh Alper on February 21, 2014, 6:22 PM EST

Friday’s report from Mike Florio that the Browns and 49ers nearly completed a trade that would have placed current 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh in the same division as his brother was a clear sign that earlier signs of uneasiness in the relationship between Harbaugh and the Niners haven’t gone away completely.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com follows up on Florio’s report by adding some insight into the hangups in the contract extension talks in San Francisco. Per Maiocco, the 49ers are not prepared to pay Harbaugh “like a Super Bowl-winning coach” because he hasn’t won the Super Bowl. Harbaugh has taken the 49ers to three straight NFC Championship games, but lost to the Ravens in his only Super Bowl trip.

The 49ers are reportedly offering a short-term deal with lower guarantees than the league’s top echelon of coaches with incentives that would bump Harbaugh up into that tier if he wins a Super Bowl. The team also reportedly gave Harbaugh the right to seek endorsement deals with team sponsors to bump his income closer to desired levels with Harbaugh ultimately taking in an extra $1 million.

As a result, Maiocco reports that Harbaugh’s future with the 49ers remains uncertain even after he decided not to jump to Cleveland earlier this year. Maiocco reports that defensive line coach Jim Tomsula was the likely replacement at head coach if Harbaugh did jump to Cleveland and would presumably be if he leaves the team for some other reason in the near future.

UPDATE 6:42 pm E.T.: In a tweet directed to Florio and Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, 49ers CEO Jed York said the report about trade talks with the Browns “isn’t true.”

The Niner's were turrible for nearly a decade. Giving up Harbaugh for draft picks basically is rebooting again and purging salary, which makes no sense moving into a new stadium.

Haslam confirms that Browns had talks with 49ers about Jim Harbaugh

Posted by Mike Florio on February 23, 2014, 6:09 PM EST

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/haslam2.jpg?w=246

Yes, folks, the Cleveland Browns and the San Francisco 49ers did indeed engage in discussions about Jim Harbaugh.

We now know this with certainty because Browns owner Jimmy Haslam has confirmed the existence of discussions with between his team and the 49ers.

“There was an opportunity there, and it didn’t materialize,” Haslam told Jarrett Bell of USA Today. Haslam did not address why the opportunity didn’t result in a transaction.

Haslam’s use of the term “opportunity” is a far cry from the 49ers’ initial characterization (via off-the-record quotes leaked to NFL Media) that the report of a possible trade of Harbaugh to the Browns was “completely false” and “ridiculous.” Haslam’s choice of words also cuts against the notion that the Browns made an inquiry about acquiring Harbaugh and the 49ers immediately and flatly said no.

It’s no surprise, given the Browns’ initial on-the-record response to the report. The Browns did not deny — and have not denied — any aspect of the report.

It’s possible that a sitcom-style misunderstanding arose between the Browns and 49ers regarding Cleveland’s interest in Harbaugh. It’s also possible, if not likely, that the 49ers are now saying what they have to say in order to avoid a full-blown implosion of the increasingly awkward relationship between Harbaugh and the organization, including most specifically G.M. Trent Baalke, with whom Harbaugh must find a way to work closely and cooperatively.

Yes, folks, the Cleveland Browns and the San Francisco 49ers did indeed engage in discussions about Jim Harbaugh.

We now know this with certainty because Browns owner Jimmy Haslam has confirmed the existence of discussions with between his team and the 49ers.

“There was an opportunity there, and it didn’t materialize,” Haslam told Jarrett Bell of USA Today. Haslam did not address why the opportunity didn’t result in a transaction.

Haslam’s use of the term “opportunity” is a far cry from the 49ers’ initial characterization (via off-the-record quotes leaked to NFL Media) that the report of a possible trade of Harbaugh to the Browns was “completely false” and “ridiculous.” Haslam’s choice of words also cuts against the notion that the Browns made an inquiry about acquiring Harbaugh and the 49ers immediately and flatly said no.

It’s no surprise, given the Browns’ initial on-the-record response to the report. The Browns did not deny — and have not denied — any aspect of the report.

It’s possible that a sitcom-style misunderstanding arose between the Browns and 49ers regarding Cleveland’s interest in Harbaugh. It’s also possible, if not likely, that the 49ers are now saying what they have to say in order to avoid a full-blown implosion of the increasingly awkward relationship between Harbaugh and the organization, including most specifically G.M. Trent Baalke, with whom Harbaugh must find a way to work closely and cooperatively.

A sitcom-style misunderstanding involving the Browns? Is that even possible?

A sitcom-style misunderstanding involving the Browns? Is that even possible?

Can you even trade a coach?

The Niner's were turrible for nearly a decade. Giving up Harbaugh for draft picks basically is rebooting again and purging salary, which makes no sense moving into a new stadium.

Al Davis traded Gruden for 8 million bucks and draft picks! "NOTHING'S SHOCKING!"

Love,

Jane's Addiction

Al Davis traded Gruden for 8 million bucks and draft picks! "NOTHING'S SHOCKING!"

Love,

Jane's Addiction

Al Davis would have sold his mother and his daughter and baby granddaughter for a burned-out quarterback and a speed merchant wideout with hands of stone!

• Like 2