The Social Network

tjtull

I went to see this movie a couple of weeks ago, after seeing rave reviews. I'm on FB and can understand the whole on-line culture. I get it. However, I think all the talk about this movie being in the running for multiple Academy Awards is ludicrous. It's over-hyped IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a fine movie and I enjoyed it but I wasn't overwhelmed by it. Sure, Justin Timberlake did a really good job as Sean Parker (founder of Napster) but I wasn't shocked at his acting capability. I've seen him host SNL many times and knew he had talent in that area. The other performances were acceptable but not great.

The story was just so-so, IMO. I also left the theater with an immense dislike of EVERY character in the movie. I didn't find anything at all redeeming about the way they portrayed any of the real people. They all seemed to be out for themselves and used each other for profit. Maybe that was the point...but you'd think they could show ONE person to have integrity beyond personal profit and/or notoriety.

Has anyone here seen this movie and thought it was something fantastic and worthy of Oscars? Personally, I don't see it.

Edited by tjtull

How exciting or good can a movie about a spoiled brat/computer nerd's life be?

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 12 2010, 03:09 PM)
I thought it was a very well made film, as most of Fincher's are for me. Liked it a lot. But then again I think The Hangover was TERRIBLY overrated, so I don't know too much...

I thought it was a fine movie but don't think it really worthy of any Academy Awards. Do you think it should be in the running?

QUOTE (tjtull @ Oct 12 2010, 03:14 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 12 2010, 03:09 PM)
I thought it was a very well made film, as most of Fincher's are for me.  Liked it a lot.  But then again I think The Hangover was TERRIBLY overrated, so I don't know too much...

I thought it was a fine movie but don't think it really worthy of any Academy Awards. Do you think it should be in the running?

I don't see why not. The performances were solid, the direction fine. I've seen much worse nominated for Best Picture. And given there are 10 spots since last year, I won't be surprised.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 12 2010, 04:09 PM)
I thought it was a very well made film, as most of Fincher's are for me. Liked it a lot. But then again I think The Hangover was TERRIBLY overrated, so I don't know too much...

No, you're right. The Hangover sucked.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Oct 12 2010, 04:15 PM)
...and to piggy back on your Hangover sentiment, I thought Hurt Locker was just OK as well...

tongue.gif

The Hurt Locker was exceptional. But to each their own. I've yet to see The Social Network. I'm sure I'd enjoy it, but I'd probably enjoy it just as well from my couch as from a stadium theater chair.

I loved it. I think it's one of the years best movies. Then again I usually don't share the same taste in movies as everyone else. Idk about it being academy award worthy, though I'd certainly like to see Jesse Eisenberg win something at some point in his career, as I think he's one of Hollywood's finest young actors right now.

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Oct 13 2010, 03:51 AM)
I loved it. I think it's one of the years best movies. Then again I usually don't share the same taste in movies as everyone else. Idk about it being academy award worthy, though I'd certainly like to see Jesse Eisenberg win something at some point in his career, as I think he's one of Hollywood's finest young actors right now.

Between The Social Network and Inception, which would you choose?

My vote would go to Inception. The story was incredible.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Oct 13 2010, 09:47 AM)

Hands down Social Network.

Direction? SN

Writing? SN (not even close)

Acting? SN

Editing? too close to call

QUOTE (tjtull @ Oct 13 2010, 08:47 AM)

I liked Shutter Island more than Inception.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 21 2010, 07:26 AM)

I still need to see Shutter Island. Although I don't like scary movies. scared.gif

Inception or Social Network? Got to go with Inception. The plot was better, the effects alone were amazing. I thought both soundtracks were great. Inception had a little better acting, but Social Network was equally filled with talent.

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Oct 21 2010, 02:44 PM)

I still need to see Shutter Island. Although I don't like scary movies. scared.gif

Inception or Social Network? Got to go with Inception. The plot was better, the effects alone were amazing. I thought both soundtracks were great. Inception had a little better acting, but Social Network was equally filled with talent.

They're completely different films too. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 21 2010, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Oct 21 2010, 02:44 PM)

They're completely different films too. biggrin.gif

yes.gif can't really compare, though I tried. laugh.gif