Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater

fledgehog

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 11 2010, 06:32 PM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Sep 11 2010, 07:45 PM)
There's a part of me that can't help but wonder if DT won't need some time off themselves by the time Mike is ready to come back to them. I'd hate to think that the best years of DT are behind us and it will turn into a "Roger Waters" type of scenerio, as Mike mentioned. I sure hope not. one thing we have going for us is that A7X will likely go with a younger drummer being that MP is much older than the other guys. I really don't think this hiatus will last long, though. I'd say no more than 2-3 years.    b_sigh.gif

What will MP learn to bring back to DT? More Extreme rock? Certainly not Prog.

It seems like musicians who leave their band and then come back to them have nothing in common with the world of human dating.

The cliche of "going back to your ex-girlfriend" and finding that eternal bond the second time around is fukking bullshit.

See "Van Halen" in the dictionary of current FAIL. Will that new record really get made? Or is it all about getting laid?

I would love to leave my beautiful wife and two incredible children to go back to my original love.

NOT!

Never look back and always move forward.

I find it sad that a bunch of you DT Didacts And Narpets want Mike to go crawling back to his baby in the future.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he did, but if he were to do it, it's all about the nostalgia and cash grab philosophy that you diehards are into.

Not about the integrity and interest of the band.

Mike is probably just pulling a "KISS" KARD.

He will wait in the shadows of the night while making a nice income with his other "girlfriends."

Once he sees the "new" DT album unit and ticket sales slump he will announce to all that his break up is over and that he is refreshed and recharged.

Ready to go again for another Wet Dream Theater Run!

It's all about the money.

Why do you think these intellectual musicians got together in the first place?

To make robotic music for the progressive masses while cashing their weekly checks at the local New York City Bank Of America.

IN PROG WE TRUST!

God Bless America!

trink39.gif

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 11 2010, 02:40 PM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Sep 11 2010, 03:22 PM)
John Petrucci has been doing a Q&A on his forum and from some of his answers I'm still very confident in the future of Dream Theater. JP seems so be handling this very well! Maybe he will be the new face of DT yes.gif

He really has to be, Phil.

I met myung in 1992 and 1993 and he barely says hi and hardly makes eye contact. And Jordan's not a PR type, either. Petrucci is definitely up to bat. I hope their tour doesn't get cancelled due to a lack of sales, but I can't say I'll be going to any more shows unless the new drummer impresses the heck out of me. We'll see...

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Sep 15 2010, 06:00 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Sep 11 2010, 02:40 PM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Sep 11 2010, 03:22 PM)
John Petrucci has been doing a Q&A on his forum and from some of his answers I'm still very confident in the future of Dream Theater. JP seems so be handling this very well! Maybe he will be the new face of DT yes.gif

He really has to be, Phil.

I met myung in 1992 and 1993 and he barely says hi and hardly makes eye contact. And Jordan's not a PR type, either. Petrucci is definitely up to bat. I hope their tour doesn't get cancelled due to a lack of sales, but I can't say I'll be going to any more shows unless the new drummer impresses the heck out of me. We'll see...

I'd say JLB could also share the PR stuff with John.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 14 2010, 09:23 PM)
"We've mentioned these other scenarios [where the members parted ways and then] all [came] back together. The thing that scares the crap out of me, though, is I see a similarity to maybe Roger Waters with PINK FLOYD and that never came back together, and that scares the crap out of me. It would be a tragedy if I never got to be on stage with DREAM THEATER again . . ."

I HAVE NO IDEA why Mike would bring something like this scenario up, unless there's a whole 'nother side to this story that he's not willing to share with us.

This sorta comparsion to Waters and PF does not conjure up images of band unity, and friendly requests being met, with all parties arriving at a single, unified resolution that satisfies everyone's concerns...concluding in the creation of two seperate and stable musical entitites that smile, shake hands and move on, amicably...with no bitter resentments or pending litigation ensuing.

None of that can be derived from a comparison to Roger Waters and Pink Floyd and that whole early 80's debacle of theirs...And yet, other than alluding to this seemingly contradictory illustration, Mike speaks of nothing other than some positive and decisive decision-making arrived at by all DT members. I just have no idea why he would reference a real world, Rock World example that seems just way out of context with all the variables of this particular situation...UNLESS, again, if there are some really large variables that haven't been addressed yet.

The Pink Floyd situation was not an "All for One and One for All" type of mutually-agreed-upon settlement where everyone walked away happy. If the PF situation at all describes any of the elements of what went just went down with DT, then we will all definitely hear about it someday soon...Lids never stay closed for too long in the tabloid world of 2010. Someone will eventually spill the beans over in the DT camp and then all the 'he said/she said' crap will follow.

THE situation with Waters and The Floyd was one where Roger slowly, over the course of a decade, became deeply entrenched in megalomania/egomania, and the other members could have def. intervened at any moment along the timeline, but, for one reason or another, just never did...So, they wound up a situation at the very end of Waters' tenure where he employed all types of bullying tactics, even firing band members, and overtly attempting to seize control of all creative and decision-making aspects of the band's communal process...

Yet, somehow, the other three members were able to take Waters to court, and they were the ones who wound up with complete control of the band's name and all that entails...It was a battle over who would be 'team captain' and Roger lost...I still have no idea how that whole thing went down, and how it resulted in that particular conclusion...But, just pray that Mike inadvertently/randomly referenced this band as an example in the above interview, without his situation having anything to do with the Pink Floyd scenario at all. That's what I' hoping for at least...But, still, why bring that sorta thing up?

NO ONE has taken issue with Mike's troubling comparison of this current situation and what went down with Waters and Floyd back in the day?...

I think that what I laid out above here is of deep concern for anyone interested in how this thing plays out...

I think there might be a bunch of factors he's not sharing with the public at present, ugly things about his own behaviour, perhaps his departure from the band wasn't as mutually agreeable as he claims.

Someone a lil' knowledgable on both this matter and that of The Floyd, please deliver some feedback here.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 16 2010, 03:08 AM)
Floydfanatic had to be anti-semitic, didn't he? He would have been just the man for the job.

Someone got the boot fer some of that ol' fashioned Jew-hatin' business?

I would think that a bunch of Progressive Rock fans would have a good idea of what antics Waters pulled with his band...all the control freak ultimatums and threats and such...I don't know why Mike would bring his name up here. It's like he's just beggin' for a comparison.

Archived