confession: I like the Young and Restless

circumstantial tree

During my downtime, I've been revisiting this daytime show. I started watching it during the 1970's.

Yeah, the storylines are "out there" but in some ways, it's better than primetime TV.

I've always liked "Lauren Fenmore" ever since she came on the show as a teenager. And of course, her fights with Sheila Carter made for some entertaining afternoons.

When I was a kid during the summer, my mom would ask me to watch 'Y&R' while she was at work. Every evening, I'd give her an update of the day's episode. I recall some of the old storylines involving the Brooks, Foster and Chancellor families.

I went a stretch without watching 'Y&R' When I tuned in again, I wondered "Who in the heck are these Abbott, Newman and Williams people?" But I was reassured it was the same show when I saw that mean ole Mrs. Chancellor.

I'm a General Hospital fan myself. That is, when I was home at 3pm to watch it. Now I'm at work and don't have time to catch it on SoapNet.

It's funny though -- you can pick up the story lines really quickly, even after being away for a few years. there may be new characters but everyone is up to their same shenanigans. smile.gif

QUOTE (tupelobarchetta @ Aug 24 2010, 09:27 PM)
When I was a kid during the summer, my mom would ask me to watch 'Y&R' while she was at work. Every evening, I'd give her an update of the day's episode. I recall some of the old storylines involving the Brooks, Foster and Chancellor families.

I went a stretch without watching 'Y&R' When I tuned in again, I wondered "Who in the heck are these Abbott, Newman and Williams people?" But I was reassured it was the same show when I saw that mean ole Mrs. Chancellor.

I remember those original characters. I remember when Nikki Reed came onto the scene. She had an abusive father and a sister named Casey. She answered an ad about modeling with no experience necessary. Turned out to be a front for prostitution run by a woman named Rose DeVille.

Jill Foster Abbott, turns out, is really Lauren Fenmore's sister. wacko.gif

A few months ago, David Hasselhoff came back on as Snapper.

Now, Julia Roberts brother Eric is on Y&R as a lawyer.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 24 2010, 09:39 PM)
When I was a kid during the summer, my mom would ask me to watch 'Y&R' while she was at work. Every evening, I'd give her an update of the day's episode.  I recall some of the old storylines involving the Brooks, Foster and Chancellor families.

I remember those original characters. I remember when Nikki Reed came onto the scene. She had an abusive father and a sister named Casey. She answered an ad about modeling with no experience necessary. Turned out to be a front for prostitution run by a woman named Rose DeVille.

I think one of the best storylines was when Jack and Jill's affair was exposed. One jigsaw puzzle piece at a time, John realized who the naked bodies belonged to when the last piece arrived showing Jack & Jill's faces.

(For those of you unfamiliar with Y&R, Jack is John's adult son. Jill - the same one Circumstantial Tree referred to - is John's second wife and is about the same age as Jack. Yup, Jack was fooling around with his stepmom).

Of course, as things would turn out in this drama, Jack later shot Jill. He went to trial, but was saved from a prison sentence when Jill made a passionate speech at the trial in support of him.

One of my favorite characters was Ashley Abbott. She looked pretty hot for someone who was once a man. rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Edited by tupelobarchetta

I must confess that the CBS soaps were always on at my house (mother and older sister watching religiously) and I picked up on the characters, their relations with each other, and their storylines. Mostly I 'watched' from the very late 70s into the mid-80s.

Teenager Tracey Abbott with a crush on "rock star" Danny, while the then-backstabbing and more worldly Lauren was also interested in Danny and was his sometime singing duet partner. (I remember their "video" for Phil Collins's "Against All Odds.")

Victor and Nikki, on and off again. (I also remember a summer of alcoholism for Nikki.) The arrival of bad actress Cricket. Paul and Andy as private investigators. The change in actors in the role of Jack Abbott; Peter Bergman replacing Terry Lester. Brad's beginnings as the Abbott's pool boy. The ongoing fighting/feud between equally evil characters Jill and Mrs. Chancellor - which I didn't care about. (In one of the writers' most ironic twists, it turns out Mrs. Chancellor is actually Jill's mother, correct?)

And Pedro, I can also do a good Victor impression. Eric Braeden has a very distinct delivery. Anyone catch him in "Escape From the Planet of the Apes"? laugh.gif

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 25 2010, 08:26 AM)
QUOTE (tupelobarchetta @ Aug 25 2010, 09:12 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 24 2010, 09:39 PM)
When I was a kid during the summer, my mom would ask me to watch 'Y&R' while she was at work. Every evening, I'd give her an update of the day's episode.  I recall some of the old storylines involving the Brooks, Foster and Chancellor families.

I think one of the best storylines was when Jack and Jill's affair was exposed. One jigsaw puzzle piece at a time, John realized who the naked bodies belonged to when the last piece arrived showing Jack & Jill's faces.

(For those of you unfamiliar with Y&R, Jack is John's adult son. Jill - the same one Circumstantial Tree referred to - is John's second wife and is about the same age as Jack. Yup, Jack was fooling around with his stepmom).

Of course, as things would turn out in this drama, Jack later shot Jill. He went to trial, but was saved from a prison sentence when Jill made a passionate speech at the trial in support of him.

One of my favorite characters was Ashley Abbott. She looked pretty hot for someone who was once a man. rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Isn't the sex change thing a rumor?

It's a shame they can't bring Rose DeVille back though. The actress died several years ago.

They did a flashback to when Rose took Nina's baby. Nina is now having Paul search for her son. Turns out he is a cop in Genoa City, but only a select few know.

laugh.gif Yes, it's a rumor.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 25 2010, 09:30 AM)
I must confess that the CBS soaps were always on at my house (mother and older sister watching religiously) and I picked up on the characters, their relations with each other, and their storylines. Mostly I 'watched' from the very late 70s into the mid-80s.

Teenager Tracey Abbot with a crush on "rock star" Danny, while the then-backstabbing and more worldly Lauren was also interested in Danny and was his sometime singing duet partner. (I remember their "video" for Phil Collins's "Against All Odds.")

Victor and Nikki, on and off again. (I also remember a summer of alcoholism for Nikki.) The arrival of bad actress Cricket. Paul and Andy as private investigators. The change is actors in the role of Jack Abbot. The ongoing fighting/feud between equally evil characters Jill and Mrs. Chancellor - which I didn't care about. (In one of the writers' most ironic twists, it turns out Mrs. Chancellor is actually Jill's mother, correct?)

And Pedro, I can also do a good Victor impression. Eric Braeden has a very distinct delivery. Anyone catch him in "Escape From the Planet of the Apes"? laugh.gif

Turns out Kay Chancellor is not Jill's mother though. She is Lauren Fenmore's half sister. This is a current storyline.

Lauren wants nothing to do with Jill. It's a funny storyline.

I remember when the Nikki alcoholism storyline started. Nikki had done some damage to her back but afraid of going into surgery. She started taking painkillers with a shot of liquor as a means to ease the pain, but the pain kept coming back eventually so she started drinking heavily.

They have old episodes on youtube. I find myself going back to see a few that I remember. They even have the entire first episode which, at that time, was only 30 minutes long.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 25 2010, 08:37 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 25 2010, 09:30 AM)
I must confess that the CBS soaps were always on at my house (mother and older sister watching religiously) and I picked up on the characters, their relations with each other, and their storylines.  Mostly I 'watched' from the very late 70s into the mid-80s.

Teenager Tracey Abbot with a crush on "rock star" Danny, while the then-backstabbing and more worldly Lauren was also interested in Danny and was his sometime singing duet partner.  (I remember their "video" for Phil Collins's "Against All Odds.")

Victor and Nikki, on and off again.  (I also remember a summer of alcoholism for Nikki.)  The arrival of bad actress Cricket.  Paul and Andy as private investigators.  The change is actors in the role of Jack Abbot.  The ongoing fighting/feud between equally evil characters Jill and Mrs. Chancellor - which I didn't care about.  (In one of the writers' most ironic twists, it turns out Mrs. Chancellor is actually Jill's mother, correct?)

And Pedro, I can also do a good Victor impression.  Eric Braeden has a very distinct delivery.  Anyone catch him in "Escape From the Planet of the Apes"?  laugh.gif

Turns out Kay Chancellor is not Jill's mother though. She is Lauren Fenmore's half sister. This is a current storyline.

Lauren wants nothing to do with Jill. It's a funny storyline.

I remember when the Nikki alcoholism storyline started. Nikki had done some damage to her back but afraid of going into surgery. She started taking painkillers with a shot of liquor as a means to ease the pain, but the pain kept coming back eventually so she started drinking heavily.

They have old episodes on youtube. I find myself going back to see a few that I remember. They even have the entire first episode which, at that time, was only 30 minutes long.

I just remember Nikki roaming the Newman mansion alone in her afternoons, seeking for her hidden vodka bottles. laugh.gif I think the butler(s) got hip to what she was up to that summer.

Kay Chancellor the half-sister of Lauren?? Mrs. Chancellor is like forty years older! laugh.gif

I remember some Danny Romalotti (Michael Damian) storylines. He once lost his voice and became depressed that his singing career was over, but miraculously recovered his voice while singing in church on Christmas. Must've been the same writers who had the same thing happen to Carol Brady in the first season of "The Brady Bunch." laugh.gif And when actor Michael Damian got the starring role in "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" on Broadway, they had the same thing happen to his character Danny on the soap - which allowed us to hear Damian sing "Close Every Door" on the show, while "Danny was rehearsing."

No. Jill and Lauren are half-sisters. Lauren's father is also Jill's father. Jill is an illegitimate child. Once finding out she was Lauren's sister, she made arrangements for her lawyer to fight for half of the Fenmore estate.

I used to watch it in college. Sometimes I tune in on stat holidays. I never liked Victor Newman. My favorite character is Michael Baldwin. Christian Leblanc rocks!! I like Phyllis too. Michelle Stafford is one of my favorite style icons. I love her red hair.

Whatever you do, don't ever sign up at any of these boards:

www.soapcity.com

www.soapoperanetwork.com

You're already hooked on the soap. You don't need to be hooked on a soap board too. You'll never get anything done. Your spouse & kids will leave you. LOL

Day of Our Lives was always my favorite though.

QUOTE (Boots @ Aug 25 2010, 02:16 PM)
I used to watch it in college. Sometimes I tune in on stat holidays. I never liked Victor Newman. My favorite character is Michael Baldwin. Christian Leblanc rocks!! I like Phyllis too. Michelle Stafford is one of my favorite style icons. I love her red hair.

Whatever you do, don't ever sign up at any of these boards:
www.soapcity.com
www.soapoperanetwork.com

You're already hooked on the soap. You don't need to be hooked on a soap board too. You'll never get anything done. Your spouse & kids will leave you. LOL

Yeah, I remember when Michael Baldwin came on the scene. He raped Christine (Cricket). But as soaps go, they changed his character to a good guy.

When Phyllis came onto the show, she was a psycho a little bit like Sheila, just not as dangerous.

I like Lauren Fenmore and always have since she starred in the slasher flick "Happy Birthday to Me".

I think the most boring storyline on Y&R right now is the Cane/Lily storyline involving the twins. Lily is looks strikingly like a girl I know named Jessica.

I am still mourning the loss of The Guiding Light. My earliest childhood memories were of watching that show with my mom.

And to think they're going to end As the World Turns this Fall too....and keep that ridiculous The Bold and The Beautiful on the air?

Y&R is not my fav...but is my only hope...lol.

I used to like Guiding Light. My sister was watching before me though. I started watching around the time Beth and Phillip and Rick and Mindy were the 4 musketeers. Beth and Phillip were running away to hide from Beth's stepfather. And then there was Beth and Lujack which was a fave story.

One of my favorite characters from GL was India von Helkein who blackmailed Phillip into marrying her. Unfortunately her character was taken off.

As far as the Young and the Restless, I've watched that show off and on since it came on the air. Although, I can tell the writing isn't nearly as good as it used to be.

The Bold and the Beautiful used to be a good show, but that one seems to have lost my interest altogether.

QUOTE (Boots @ Aug 25 2010, 12:16 PM)

I dip in and out of Days every so often. I recently watched an episode and the SAME SHIT was still going on.

I remember when Eric Winter (Rex) was on. I watched it every day then... cause he's so hot!!!

I remember Austin was pretty hot too.

Then they killed of Jack and brought him back like 5 times... so I stopped watching then.

Now I noticed a couple actors from Passions are on there now. Kinda weird since I remember Roman Brady from when he was on One Life to Live.

laugh.gif

I used to watch all the CBS soaps. I even remember Meg Ryan on As the World Turns as Betsy Stewart.

Lucinda, Lily's mother, is a hoot! Too bad this show is ending its run though. I wonder when the last episode is aired. I might watch it.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 27 2010, 10:25 AM)
I used to watch all the CBS soaps. I even remember Meg Ryan on As the World Turns as Betsy Stewart.

Lucinda, Lily's mother, is a hoot! Too bad this show is ending its run though. I wonder when the last episode is aired. I might watch it.

September 17 is the last show.

Right! Betsy (Meg Ryan) was hooked-up with Steve Andropoulos! laugh.gif

What I really like about Phyllis is the evolution of her character. She went from being a clingy, needy girl who got pregnant & tried to trap Danny into a marriage he didn't want... to being a career woman. I find that really inspiring. This is what people mean when they say you need to get your sh** together if you want to have it all-- the family & husband & kids. To attract & keep a quality person, you need to BE a quality person.

Well, I did the unusual today. I actually emailed one of the actors on the Young and the Restless today and he emailed me back. I wrote to Michael Muhney, who plays the evil Adam Newman (Victor's son), and told him that I like how portrays his character. He actually responded back thanking me and telling me that he's looking forward to the Fall storylines.