Bad singing

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Jul 5 2012, 10:56 AM)

Robert Smith from The Cure

Thanks!!!!

He defined what singing should not be (as The Cure is all about what rock music should not be in my ears)!

Billy Corgan is another clear choice, too.

And somebody mentioned Michael Kiske as an adequate replacement for Dickinson instead of Bailey back then. Not that Bailey was any good, but this guy's singing was atrocious - and fitted Helloween's music perfectly!

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 5 2012, 02:54 PM)
Look how great of a singer Dio was, yet when he sang the Ozzy stuff with Sabbath it didn't sound too good.

I beg to diifer. The only acceptable Sabbath live versions of classic Ozzy songs are on Live Evil.

BTW, Ozzy definitely belongs on this list.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 24 2010, 04:45 PM)
I'm currently checking out a bunch of Doom Metal bands...and I totally understand why the majority of them are not signed to anything more than scrub labels...

The singer is the most crucial ingredient in any formula...and its the singer who's got to be 'born' with an entire 'checklist' of variables already completely intact...A guitarist can always just get hisself a better guitar, or add an effects pedal to make him sound different...The singer has got to be naturally blessed with a 'distinctive' and powerful voice...or, no will notice him....or his band...

I've noticed that I've been far more open and accepting of a whole range of vocal styles after this past decade...A bunch of different directions emerged over that period, and I checked out a bunch of them, friends...Years ago, I would quickly shun an artist if he or shed had a voice that was reminiscent of a style from a few years prior...Close-minded stuff...But, nowadays, I'm more apt to embrace than shun these suckas.

One thing I absolutely hate though is the mock-Layne Staley/Eddie Vedder imitations...That low, throaty rumble got so dam played out at the end of the 90's, and first few years of this past decade that I will forever hate that style...It's so queerish and corny.

I'm totally impressed with your post. Even musicians, many of them go a lifetime never realizing how important a great and original sounding singer is. goodpost.gif

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Jul 5 2012, 04:56 AM)
Alanis Morrisette

Cranberries chick
Morrissey

Robert Smith from The Cure

Hogarth

Scott Stapp
The Dude from Cinderella

All suck.

I think the cranberries singer hurts my ears the most besides steve Perry solo stuff after journey. Oh sherri was punishment to me. I have the same complaint as a lot of people have about geddy, that he shreiks. I sure would be a lousy producer / talent scout because steve perry is worth a shitload of coin.